Any update on Lingy?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

In addition, I agree with those who suggest that you need to consider what his illness is before berating him for daring to venture outside. It is clear that this is a bit more than a cold or dose of flu that might keep us off work. If someone is signed off sick for a few months you cannot expect them to remain a prisoner in their home for all that time lest someone should see them.

Probably harder as well, when everyone you know and people you do not know, think they know all about you when you are trying to recover. Whilst being manager of TUFC does not exactly put him in the limelight, it does mean that he is known by more people than those doing an ordinary job would be. Even you just take the fans of clubs he has played for and managed - that is 1000s of people who know that he has had to be signed off work. That must make it harder to deal with in his position so he deserves respect when people are discussing his illness.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm a bit confused ( yeah ok, you knew :no: ) but what actually IS the situation with Ling? I don't mean in terms of why he isn't here anymore but in terms of who is manager. I'm a bit in the dark and don't know if any decisions have been made regarding Ling. Has he definately left the club and Knill is now the 'actual full time permanent manager' or is Ling returning. Even is Knill going to be our manager NEXT season should / if Ling leave / has left or is Knill just here until the end of the season and we look again for a new boss?

It's all a bit convoluted for me TBH. A bit like one of my matchday threads then! :) Anyway, help! :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Im pretty sure Ling was on a 1year rolling deal

If ling gets better i really dont want us to renew it!

Knill would be my first choice, with so many players out of contract in the summer, he has assessed the squad and im sure over the summer bring in some quality additions
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've always said since the beginning of this season that i didn't want Ling here simply because his attitude towards football is archaic and made me not want to watch us anymore so i desperately hope it is not renewed ( no disrespect intended ).

I just thought that something had been released stating the situation and i'd missed it somehow so i was confused as to what the current state of affairs was. Thanks PlainmoorRoar.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

From my understanding his contract ends in June. A rolling contract just means that each party meet At the end of the contract (in this case 1 year) to decide if continuing to work together is good for both parties.

The club cannot legally let Lingy go until his year is up, but when it is they will

I assume Knill will continue if Torquay stay up
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Wow, someone who cannot legally be sacked, he is a lucky boy*

Matt.

*Should probably point out that this is, of course, nonsense.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Whatever the reason for Ling's absence and his employment status I understand that Knill has had the temporary/interim description removed from his title of manager.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

ferrarilover wrote:Wow, someone who cannot legally be sacked, he is a lucky boy*

Matt.

*Should probably point out that this is, of course, nonsense.

Matt, well that depends on the wording in his contract. In most cases rolling contacts will have exclusions for certain things. The rolling contacts I have arranged in the past would, as an example, cease if the person was found guilty of gross misconduct.

However in some proffessions (the football world and others as well) it is not uncommon for the employee to include a clause that means his contract would be paid up in ANY circumstances should the club want to remove the individual on.

Whilst I am not saying that is the case with Ling, it is clearly not nonsence....unless of course Matt you have much more detailed knowledge of employment law than myself?
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Hmmm, Wikipedia must not be working in Brixham this morning. Don't worry, I am sure Rumpole will put you straight once he's consulted his Open University tutor ;0)
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

The senarios at Plainmore this season would make a great 'Soap Opera' only these goings on are true, what a mess. Is there anyone who is going to tell exactly what is happening at the Club !!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

I always thought a 1 year rolling contract meant that there was always a year left of it. If they sat down after a year to discuss it then surely it would simply be a one year contract. My interpretation was that should the contract end then the manager gets one year worth of compo rather than say the extra it would cost for an extended contract. I can't imagine Ling coming back but I would hope the club would consider a thorough recruitment process for a replacement manager rather than just award it to Knill because he happens to be here. It would need to be remembered that he was appointed at a point of desperation when mot too many alternatives were available.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

That's quite true Hector, but equally for Alan Knill as someone who has been based in the north for many years and who lives in Sheffield , managing a team near the foot of league 2, unable to score a goal, little money, and a real possibility of being non league next season was never the dream job he was looking for.

By the Summer some decent opportunities might open up giving him the chance to take up a Managers job in the Midlands or the North, and at the same time live at home with his family. And if he manages to keep us up, that will help his chances of finding such a job considerably.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The perp out of range threatening you with a gun is not the priority; the perp in range threatening you with a knife is.The thing about looking at the horizon is that focus is lost on what is directly in front of the face.

Management dismissals/appointments can wait. Getting further loan players in/getting the playing squad in top form to acquire the necessary wins is the current in-focus aim.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Alpine Joe wrote:That's quite true Hector, but equally for Alan Knill as someone who has been based in the north for many years and who lives in Sheffield , managing a team near the foot of league 2, unable to score a goal, little money, and a real possibility of being non league next season was never the dream job he was looking for.

By the Summer some decent opportunities might open up giving him the chance to take up a Managers job in the Midlands or the North, and at the same time live at home with his family. And if he manages to keep us up, that will help his chances of finding such a job considerably.
Quite true...I guess even the option of a return to Bury may be feasible for him.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

The club's confirmed that Martin is suffering from a stress-related illness and that they're hoping that he can return to his duties by May:

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Torquay-ho ... z2Ns4BGcOu
TUST member 203