What Are You Listening To?

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

IMO chunky, the best Nirvana album is Incesticide and i'm not sure there will be many songs on 'the best of' from that particular album. So if you get into them then i recommend it.

As for Guns & Roses and AC/DC, i'm not a fan at all of all that old school traditional rock. I can take some Iron Maiden but as for all that and Bon Jovi, Black Sabbath and the like no thanks.

Elvis! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

="austrianandygull"]IMO chunky, the best Nirvana album is Incesticide and i'm not sure there will be many songs on 'the best of' from that particular album. So if you get into them then i recommend it.

As for Guns & Roses and AC/DC, i'm not a fan at all of all that old school traditional rock. I can take some Iron Maiden but as for all that and Bon Jovi, Black Sabbath and the like no thanks.

Elvis! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crikey andy, just how heavy is the stuff you are in to. if AC/DC, G"N"R, sabbath and maiden arent heavy enough for you, what must your neighbours think.

anyway elvis always was and always will be THE KING. :bow:

i was brought up on elvis in our house since i was a little boy, indeed since as long as i can remember.plus a lot of other 50's, 60's and 70's which i could easily listen to now..

with elvis its not just the music. its the whole package. the man, the myth, the icon,the dodgy films, the live performances, the music. elvis revolutionised music and pop culture in general, from the sounds, the style and the attitude. in 3 different eras he had various iconic images and influence on many others.

indeed another great legend john lennon said "before elvis there was nothing".

i was very fortunate at 21 years old along with mum and dad to make the sacred pilgrimage to memphis and visit graceland, elvis's home. there were some there who were very young, some not fans already, but all were huge fans by the time they left.

when i got a bit older i got into other music of my choice rather than mum and dads-

i liked queen from 9 years old after hearing radio ga ga, i want to break free and then watching queen especially freddie blow everyone off the stage at live aid.(no puns please). :bow: :clap:

i will never be able to choose between elvis and queen for different reasons but i probably listen to queen a lot more.

i took a lot of sh!t from a few people when freddie died, indeed i was called gay and all the crap that goes with it. when i started liking queen i didnt know anything about sexuality. music and talent should not be held back, judged or stifled by boundaries, colour, creed, gender, sexuality and politics.

as i got older i started to listen to rap, hip hop, gangsta, some dance. (still do sometimes).

nowadays as i have got older i listen to a lot of rock (old school traditional :whistle: ).

i suppose i have eclectic tastes. indeed when i used to go out with the lads in our cars they would look totally confused and think WTF when 1 minute i would play elvis, then gangsta rap, then rock, then dance, then queen and back to elvis again.

i have to say though, almost all modern stuff is bland, repetitive, commercial sh!te! i just cant stomach listening to much of it. :Z
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Agree with you completely about modern commercial music, most of it just makes me laugh it's that bad. It's like all these rappers and stuff thinking they're cool and hard and they end up appearing on 'This Morning' with Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby! Unbelievable. No self respect. It's all about making money and not making music.

Which is partly why i like so many obscure bands on independant labels which you'd be hard pressed to find on online cd stores never mind be in the charts. Hardly any of the bands i like make it into the charts. That's not to say that i don't like some commercial music. Bands like Biffy Clyro, Mumford & Sons, Stornoway, Placebo and the like can knock out some good tunes but generally i'm cut into 3 slices.

Slice 1: Old Skool grunge,indie (especially Madchester) and shoegazing stuff.

Old skool grunge would include Mudhoney, Nirvana, Jesus Lizard, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, L7, Dinosaur Jr, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and the like.

Old skool indie would include Sugar, Afghan Whigs, Pavement, Jesus & Mary Chain, Catherine Wheel, Wedding Present, Ride, Neds Atomic Dustbin, PWEI, Mega City Four, Carter USM and the like.

Old skool MADCHESTER would include The Smiths, Inspiral Carpets, Stone Roses, Northside, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, James, Flowered Up and the like.

Shoegazing stuff would include Slowdive, Chapterhouse, Lush, Curve, My Bloody Valentine, Pale Saints, Moose and the like.

Slice 2: Modern ambient, post-rock stuff like Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, Sigur Ros, 65 Days Of Static, Explosions In The Sky and the like.

Slice 3: Metal and Death metal would include Raging Speedhorn, Sepultura, Napalm Death, Carcass, Mastodon, 36 Crazyfists, Korn, Machine Head, Morbid Angel, Faith No More, Bolt Thrower, Coal Chamber, Godsmack, RATM and the like.

Get some of those tunes on your stereo lad and you'll not go far wrong i guarantee it!! :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

No wonder you're demented, listening to that sh!te :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

ooooohhh, dont get me started on so called modern rappers. load of t0ssers. most of the rap/gangsta/hip hop i listened/listen to is probably at least 17 years old +. like we said, nowadays its commercial rubbish. the old stuff had good beats, good voices, personality, balls, clever stories/lyrics, messages (political or otherwise, but not too heavy) and style. most of them in recent years are boring and repetitive. the only half decent one in the last 15 years is eminem and he is over rated and can be bland and repetitive.

dont even get me started on modern so called singers/bands who do what they call R&B. proper R&B was always rythym and blues my friends and if you actually listen to what that is there is no resemblance whatsoever.

andy-

i do indeed like some of your madchester choices.

nothing wrong with a bit of indie.

i dont mind a bit of linkin park a bit of rap and rock mixed together.

also like some of the grunge. i never did get why it was called that. i used to refuse to listen to nirvana. hence my earlier post saying ive allowed myself to listen to and like it.

when i was at the local college i took media studies (waste of time). in my class were a complete bunch of pretentious tools who were all into nirvana, they were the same age as me and they went on about political music, even going on about some obscure rap groups i had never heard of preaching "songs with a message".

they called everybody else sheep if they followed fashion, despite them all wearing the same clothes as the bands they liked and the same as each other. or you were a sheep if you liked any kind of music other than what they like.

during one class we were talking about the effect music has had on people, culture and the impact it has on our lives. the sh!t the nirvana fans were were spouting. they were going on about curt cobain being the messiah and a poet and everyone else is sh!t. spouting sh!t about elvis including saying he was used as a tool by the white man to further opress the black man by using his own music against him was too much to stomach. also the subject of freddie mercury came up, partly because it wasnt long after he died.the stuff they were saying pushed me too far.

i stood up, let out a string of rather choice swear words and indeed had to be held back and calmed down by my mates who were p!ssing themselves laughing whilst being a bit concerned about the personal safety of one nirvana fan in particular. (i would've as well, he was very lucky) i got chucked out of the class and was banned from it for 3 weeks. :@

they were pr!cks of the highest order. trust me. i just cant stand pretentiousness.

i have always refused to listen to nirvana since until recently.indeed, even telling my mate to "f*** off, that cd's going out the window if you dont turn it off. you know why". this was during a holiday to magaluf and he had put on the mtv unplugged album. have to admit cobain was sublime in this.

my wife loves nirvana so lately i begrudgingly gave them a go. yes i have missed out and wish i had listened earlier. those idiots by trying to impose their will and their ways on others made me miss out!

what is shoegazing stuff? i think i get it but please do tell.

again what do your neighbours say when you have some of those metal/ death metal tunes blaring out. :-o
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Southampton Gull wrote:No wonder you're demented, listening to that sh!te :)

:clap: :rofl:

You should try some of those CD's yourself Dave, you never know, you might secretly like them. :nod: :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Chunky, first of all. It's Layne Staley from Alice In Chains who is the total legend, Cobain was iconic but not the best anarchist and songwriter by a long chalk. Get hold of some Alice In Chains stuff, it's the works. Their newest album BLACK GIVES WAY TO BLUE has a new vocalist but who is just like Staley ( Staley died of an o/d ) but they're all quality.

Shoegazing is a term to describe a certain genre of bands that make sort of psychedelic, softish types of indie / guitar music with distortions and stuff. Kinda hard to explain that one though.

As for my neighbours, i don't have any within earshot as i live at an animal shelter but the dogs aren't bothered. Anyway, i can hear 50 of the f*ckers barking like mad at 5 in the morning so they can put up with a bit of System Of A Down at full volume now and again! Besides, i'm not allowed to play any loud music between the hours of 8 and 6 due to the public being around.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

austrianandygull wrote:

:clap: :rofl:

You should try some of those CD's yourself Dave, you never know, you might secretly like them. :nod: :-D
I'd rather stick needles in my bellend mate ;-)
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote: I'd rather stick needles in my bellend mate ;-)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Absolute quality.

That had me in bloody stitches!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

"Southampton Gull"
quote - I'd rather stick needles in my bellend mate ;

="Scott Brehaut"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Absolute quality.

That had me in bloody stitches!!
must admit that raised a chuckle here too. :rofl:

in all serious andy, i have just had a listen on youtube to some alice in chains (very popular).

yeah some of its not bad. :nod:
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

At the risk of SG's bell end becoming a pin cushion :aww: I can recommend some Rachmainoff

Note the fine mullet which will not look out of place in shirt "g" :-D
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Wisconsin_gull wrote:At the risk of SG's bell end becoming a pin cushion :aww: I can recommend some Rachmainoff

If only you could spell it :)
Dave

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Wisconsin_gull wrote:At the risk of SG's bell end becoming a pin cushion :aww: I can recommend some Rachmainoff

:lol: :rofl: :bow:
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Kim Wilde, Kids in America. Guilty pleasure, love it.

Now onto Led Zeppelin, Black Dog. Got the rest of Led Zeppelin 4 for the rest of the journey home.

Got a bottle of Pure Un Ubu in hand waiting for the train, but I guess that's for the real ale thread eh Andy!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.