Torquay United v York City 23/3/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I agree with you Super, Bradford are hoping rather than expecting and by the time we play them they could be just about out of it. The game i think will be toughest is the Brizzle one last off. Of the away games i hope to see a good performance against Northampton and we could catch them off guard most certainly. Morecambe we can beat but i don't think we'll get anything at Gillingham.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I think we'll be safely mid-table by the time we play Bristol Rovers, so the Rovers game will be one with all the pressures off and some fine football for both sets of fans to enjoy, like a friendly between Brazil and Spain (or should I say Italy)...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

NickGull wrote:Worth staying up to see Jarvis' goal tonight, great strike - one of the best at Plainmoor in recent times I'd say, certainly this season!
Huge credit to the players today, bossed the first half then turned resilient when necessary. No complaints about the red card, it was always going to be which is a huge shame for Cruise as he was playing really well. Is it just a one-game ban for a professional foul though? I hope so.

Very surprised to see Bodin in the squad as he played 90 mins for Wales just last night?!

Big, big win, and all of a sudden the table is looking okay again!!

EDIT: Also credit to the fans today, 2800 which is a vast improvement on recent weeks! Top atmosphere too, best its been this season. Noise levels in the final 5 minutes were the loudest I've heard for a long time!
correct nick. a bit of a screamer! :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Ling had the opportunity to bring in players but didn't want to. It was not the board refusing him anything...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Dutchgull wrote:Ling had the opportunity to bring in players but didn't want to. It was not the board refusing him anything...
Bloody hell, I didn't think I'd see the day where Brucie had posted on a thread and didn't win the 'Complete Tosh Award', but here we have it.

Scotty, I'm not gonna say, waiting for RR to work it out for himself :)

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

An excellent result but not an excellent performance like Tuesday night. Against a very poor York defence we conjured up only 7 attempts when, with more ambition, we could have scored a hatful.

In the end we were fortunate to hold out for the win.

Another three points has almost made us safe but the Barnet game now becomes our next Wembley because I fear we will get nothing out of Northampton or Gillingham and only a draw at Morecambe and at home to Bradford. I certainly don't want it to all rest on the last game against Rovers.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Dutchgull wrote:Ling had the opportunity to bring in players but didn't want to. It was not the board refusing him anything...
Struggling with that one a bit, don't necessarily disbelieve it but having spoken at length to an ex employee of the club (two seasons ago), who did tend to put a bit of a downer on things granted, and knowing a bit about Bill Phillips and given his decission to go public before the transfer widow shut in to say we wouldn't be signing anyone.

How many mangers say they don't want anyone/improvements?

Guess we'll probably never know now, but what we do know, and seem to keep making the same mistake, commuting managers don't work!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Phil - In all fairness some of our players looked completely knackered by the end. The pitch was awful and we put one hell of alot into Tuesday night's game pressing Chesterfield whenever they had the ball. As I said York had a distinct advantage by having a free week.
In the circumstances our effort in the last ten minutes was terrific.
We may not be the finished article but with a weeks rest, Bodin back, Downes our best player this season in reserve, and the possibility of perhaps another signing things are looking a damned sight better than they were six days ago.
Our forwards will get more room to play away from home and I would actually expect an improved performance at Northampton.
All in all I don't think we could be faulted yesterday.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Good to see Benners get a goal too - here's hoping that opens up the floodgates for him!!
Just need Billy to get one now and his confidence will soar too (although it sounds like he has been one of our better players recently)

Has Labadie really helped our midfield that much? It seems like our midfield are no longer overrun since he has come in..
How has this impacted Mansells game for example? Is it Labadie, or is it more the way Juan has got us playing?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Complete fantasy ling asked the board to sign Eric Odhiambo who is now at Oxford United but was told no as we didn't have anything left in the budget, this may have been a cash flow problem at the time due to a number of our home games being postponed before Christmas.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Good to see Benners get a goal too - here's hoping that opens up the floodgates for him!!
Just need Billy to get one now and his confidence will soar too (although it sounds like he has been one of our better players recently)

Has Labadie really helped our midfield that much? It seems like our midfield are no longer overrun since he has come in..
How has this impacted Mansells game for example? Is it Labadie, or is it more the way Juan has got us playing?
I think Labadie has made a big difference with his physical strength and determination. He covers a lot of ground, won't be bullied and has got into the box for his goals. He has given Mansell and Cruise more security to play a bit. So a great signing, as is Chapple.
TUST number 080
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Just finished wallowing in the Gullplayer highlights from the last 2 games - the players all look 6" taller, a half yard quicker, stronger and a threat to the opposition goal. No wonder the gate has improved, we are now serving up a product which folks will pay to come and see. Great work by Knill and the players to turn the ship around. :engflag: :bow: :clap:

Now, let's talk for a minute about the York City kit.... Is it just me or do we all remember the kid who turned up to games as a 14 year old without his kit hoping to miss the freezing drizzle on the soccer field??? .. at my school the PE/games teacher would delight in going to the lost property and finding a shirt which looked like the Arsenal kit, with a pair of shorts which looked like the Chelsea shorts of 1970 and a pair of Leeds United socks. Little did I realise then that this was in fact to be the York City kit of 2013 ! :rofl:
Faced with kit G or YCFC kit , I will take kit G and a mullet any day :slap:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Labadie has made a massive difference in midfield. We ve been lightweight there since Craig Stanley left. Our central defenders have been getting far to exposed. Its a position we have to nail down. It seems that Labadie is enjoying the challenge also.
When do do eventually become safe he will be the first player i would like to congratulate because he has been immense for us.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Very impressed with Labadie. he's also managed to galvanise Mansell into something like the player we've all come to know and love. Labadie loves a tackle and boy does he go into them with some intent to win the ball, just my type of player and one we should pull all the stops out to try and sign/loan for next season.

Cruise looked very assured and his link up play with Howe Jarvis and Chappell was a joy to watch. I thought he was unlucky with the red card, definitely a red but only because the forward crossed in front of him and fell like he'd been shot.

Chappell looks lively and full of attacking instinct, seriously puts Stevens in the shade by a country mile.

Jarvis looked very good yesterday, aside from his goal he puts in a tremendous amount of work for the team and at one point he tracked back to cover a lost Oastler and at a decent pace too, good performance from him.

Benyon, well I must admit to not being too enamoured by his return but what a tireless and gut-busting effort from him. He never gave their defenders a minutes peace all game and looks a certain starter for me.

Overall I was very impressed with the way we tried to pass the ball yesterday, lots of intelligent runs off the ball, intricate passing in tight spaces and serious commitment from everyone. What a difference from just a few games ago. Great to catch up with a few forum members and an added bonus was my partner telling me she loved every minute and wants to go again, one more fan to help swell the coffers ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com