Torquay v CRAWLEY in the 4th round!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

To be fair to Claridge (although I dont know why I should!) I think it was the Radio 5 commo who gave that figure and Claridge actually queried it - he thought it was more like £200k (still OTT mind). The commo then said he had been given that figure directly from the Crawley Chairman. However, I think that probably what the guy meant was that so far the FA Cup had generated that figure from TV money - weren't both their games against Swindon covered by ESPN as well (so 3 x £144k = nearly £450k)?

It (£144k) still seems like a heck of a nice little earner to me though - wouldn't it be great if we saw the cameras at Plainmoor for this one - doubt it will happen though. I reckon the TV guys, knowing that they are guaranteed a "minnow" in the 5th Round by virtue of this tie, will bide their time and then cover whoever the winners get next time around. Let's hope it's us!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Just posted this elsewhere, but it's probably most at home here...

Well i'm happy it's Crawley. A game against Derby would have been...alright. But we'd likely have lost, and the rewards wouldn't have been that great.

Of course Crawley are a reasonable side and we might still lose , and the gate recipts will doubtless be smaller. But we have to have confidence in this group of players winning that game don't we? And we'd have the added pleasure of dumping Evans and Rayner on their fat arses. What we will lose out on in terms of money through the turnstiles, we have the opportunity to recoup (and more) in prize money.

The 5th Round is a real possibility now. The last 16 of the FA Cup! And, with there being every chance of us being the lowest ranked team in that draw, we'd have to have a decent chance of TV with even a moderately exciting game.

If we get to Round 5, we'd probably have more chance of an exciting draw than a dull one. Our time in the sunshine is coming...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I was extactic last night, I wanted to play Crawley. The publicity that they are going to get is going to be massive, so we will get some free advertising out of it. Unlike our massive win over Carlisle that just about managed 9 seconds on the FA Cup show. Even on 606 on the drive home on Saturday they announced all the results but ours, it was shocking.

It is not the money earner we were after, granted, but we have got a massive chance to beat another club record and get into the 5th round. Even though it was a good game last night, Derby did have a penalty saved and their 2nd goal took a deflection. I am not saying they didn't deserve the win, but it wasn't a walk over the same way as Stevenage did to Newcastle.

Some stats for you.....
Torquay Wins Draws Crawley Wins
League Game 1 0 3
FA Trophy 1 0 0
Total 2 0 3

2008 / 2009
TUFC 0-2 CT
CT 3-1 TUFC

2007 / 2008
TUFC 1-2 CT
CT 2-3 TUFC

FA Trophy - TUFC 4-1 CT

The stats show we don't have a particularly good record against them (thank you Soccerbase) however we are a reasonably good League 2 club now and have some very good players.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

We never get the big money spinner of a draw :evil: BUT this is a winnable tie and the chance of 5th round glory so you gotta stay positive :clap: Not an eay game as the whole of thew world outside of our club will be wanting Crawley to win so we cannot win either way or so it seems. Damd if we do, damd if we dont :rofl: I'm up for it though :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

oxgull wrote:Not an eay game as the whole of thew world outside of our club will be wanting Crawley to win so we cannot win either way or so it seems. Damd if we do, damd if we dont :rofl:
I wouldn't agree with this. The way they've been throwing their money around hasn't impressed a lot of fans. It's unsustainable at their level with their support and would be for many in our division or even League One. I wouldn't say they've won any new fans or have any real sympathy among football fans in general, as said on Talksport this morning 'they are no ordinary non-league team', they spent more money in the summer than the whole of our division combined, they don't represent the conference/ non-league in any way shape or form because they are so separated from the reality of it. They won't get the widespread support that normally is given to the lowest placed club remaining in the cup.
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

Lets all remember that we have never made it to the 5th Round before in our history. I did start to wonder if it would ever happen and this is the perfect opportunity!

If we do win, we're only one game from the Quarter-finals
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

What a 'nice' story, about a lovely little Sussex club, behaving perfectly. I could hear birds tweeting as i read this. You have to love the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -care.html
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote:What a 'nice' story, about a lovely little Sussex club, behaving perfectly. I could hear birds tweeting as i read this. You have to love the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -care.html
quite right shane.

the daily mail - like 20 minutes in a mental hospital.......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

We haven't got the Saturday TV slot: http://x.com/itvfootball

It's Saints v Man U

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

scottbrehaut wrote:We haven't got the Saturday TV slot: http://x.com/itvfootball

It's Saints v Man U
suprise, suprise.................... :evil:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I don t think we can complain.

A realistic chance of progressing to the 5th round for the first time ever in the club s history. And this against a club being bankrolled with funny money and managed by self-abusers.

I don t think the attendance will suffer unduly. It s as big a game to us as Derby would have been.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

looks like only game chosen so far then

link to fa fixtures site

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompeti ... p/Fixtures
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

probably 3 more to be shown, saturday early, then two on sunday?

my moneys on stevenage v reading, everton v chelsea and either leeds/arsenal v hudd , west ham v forest or wednesday v hereford

we havent got a cat in hells chance of being selected even if crawley are the only non league team left
still keeping the faith
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Everton v Chelsea with def be one (It is very rare they play each other!!!!) and Southampton v Man Utd was always going to be top pick. Have to say, out the rest I would of thought our game was a great representative of the F.A. Cup and should be shown, but I guess I am biased!

Stevenage will probably get it, just so they can get x2 TV money after the Newcastle game! (Guess they have earnt that right with their result - would be nice if the FA Cup gave us what we deserved so we can have a crack at one of the big boys).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I don't see why it will definitely be live. They play each twice a season. The only reason would be the fact it is Chelsea! It's not going to be a massive shock say If everton won.

We have a good chance.