I would drop Rene....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Anyone know the odds on a Rene hat-trick at Gillingham on Saturday? It's some time since a Torquay player scored three in a match.
I can recall Efion Williams but somebody out there will know better! :bow:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lee Thorpe against Grimsby if my memory serves me right, however I do have the memory of a gold fish so not sure if there has been one since.
Formerly known as forevertufc
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Nicky Wroe got three against Cheltenham, I think.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Benners got a hat trick in our rearranged FA Cup tie v Stockport at Macclesfield in 2009.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Thats it, I ve also had enough of these gutless performances.
I would drop Rene, Bodin, Oastler, Mansell and Jarvis. Not good enough!
My team for Gillingham would be.
Poke
Leadbitter Saah Downes Cruise
Thompson Labadie Craig Chappell
Yoeman Benners

I dont want balls lobbed into space, i want quick, high tempo passing from the back to front. Craig has to be given his chance in the middle to play to his strengths. Leadbitter and Cruise given the licence to raid down the wings which will give us extra bodies and options in attack.
Lets bloody give it to Gillingham, they will not be expecting it!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Like that line up SBP, however just little to much in the way of in-expereince and one to many lightweigts in there.

I would be inclinded to swap Tomson for Macklin and really would put Howe in with Benners,
Formerly known as forevertufc
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Forever- I did consider the inexperience and possibilities of the team being "lightweight". However how many goals have Howe and Benners scored in the games that they have played, hardly any. Howe gets another yellow and hes out anyway. Thompson's lack of experience may work to our benefit, he has no fear, just get out there and play, attack the fullback. Yeoman, I believe would be a chance worth taking. Gillingham like everybody else will have done there homework on us and frustrate Howe. The game will pass us by again. Its something different, its a fast counter attacking line up with pace all over the place. Maklin or Howe could be the first sub if desired.
Nobodies really expecting us to get a result from this game anyway. Lets go for it, attack them, do something that they are not expecting and put them on the back foot.
We cannot keep playing the same system, its not working.
My best recent memory was at Home to Shrewsbury 2-3 season ago when we absolutely battered them with attacking football and beat them 5 nil. I know things has changed since that game but i would rather take a chance and attack, it may just surprise us.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

SBP wrote:Thats it, I ve also had enough of these gutless performances.
I would drop Rene, Bodin, Oastler, Mansell and Jarvis. Not good enough!
My team for Gillingham would be.
Poke
Leadbitter Saah Downes Cruise
Thompson Labadie Craig Chappell
Yoeman Benners

I dont want balls lobbed into space, i want quick, high tempo passing from the back to front. Craig has to be given his chance in the middle to play to his strengths. Leadbitter and Cruise given the licence to raid down the wings which will give us extra bodies and options in attack.
Lets bloody give it to Gillingham, they will not be expecting it!

Wow, this is startlingly close to the team Diamondgirl and I picked while walking the dog yesterday. Swap Tommo for Mackers and you've got it. Ok, Ladders is now gone, so give Bodin his place back (Bradford was his first bad game in ages and it was a bad day for all of them).

Chappell will play in the Premier League one day, that kid is seriously good. NC is a central midfielder who is criminally shunted to the wing as an afterthought when Manse and Rene continue to have their names inked on the team sheet. Leadbitter gives us some much needed pace and forward thinking.
I'm not interested in phrases like 'lightweight', this isn't a rugby scrum, it's not 'America's fattest retards', it's football, a game where weight is mainly immaterial. We aren't a big side, we aren't AC Northampton, we aren't going to be bigger and stronger and taller than Gillingham and if we try so to be, we're playing them at their own game. A game they will win.

The players and formation and tactics we have employed over the last 40 odd matches are not enough to see us beat Gillingham. If we go there and try to play as we have done for the last 7 months, we will lose, so we have nothing to fear from sticking 10 pacy, forward thinking chaps on the field and seeing what happens. If we lose 4-0, so be it, we'd have lost 1-0 anyway, so we'll get the same number of points regardless.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:The players and formation and tactics we have employed over the last 40 odd matches are not enough to see us beat Gillingham. If we go there and try to play as we have done for the last 7 months, we will lose, so we have nothing to fear from sticking 10 pacy, forward thinking chaps on the field and seeing what happens. If we lose 4-0, so be it, we'd have lost 1-0 anyway, so we'll get the same number of points regardless.
Matt.
The referee will probably be shite anyway...!! :(
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I agree with this principle. Anything from Gillingham is a bonus and Barnet is the biggest game of the season for us - we need to win there and pick up enough from the last two games to scrape over the line. There is no chance that Rene will go three games without a booking, so he will miss 1-3 of the last four matches. We have a chance to at least guarentee that he will play in the crucial match vs Barnet, and with Bodin, Chappell, Jarvis and Benyon we still have enough options for Gillingham - these will be the players we will have for the crunch games anyway.

As well as he has played this season, a chunk of his bookings have been entirely his own fault, and we will be missing our top goalscorer when we need him most.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats