Gillingham v Torquay United - 6/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gillingham have scored 10 goals, and conceded 7, in 9 home games this year, with opponents including York, Wycombe, Dagenham, Plymouth and Accrington. They may be top of the division, but they're not high-scoring; for the most part they've been scraping wins, as we've done in the past.

Alan Knill realises that if we just sit back and defend, we'll get nothing out of the game. So I can see us going at 'em and scoring a goal or two. Knowing that a win would probably see them promoted, they'll be very nervous, especially if we score first, and then score another! :)

Of course, if they score first, my Bi-polar affliction will kick in..!! :'(
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Almost everybody on here is predicting a defeat for us on Saturday.

Of course, if we lose people on here will still kick off.

I don't understand that myself - why would people predict a loss, then moan about it when we do. Surely, if you don't expect the team to win, and they subsequently do go and lose, you should shrug your shoulders, kick the dog*, hit the wife*, and get on with life.

*obviously I don't condone such actions and this was made purely to get a point across. I also realise some people may not have either a dog or a wife, or both, and some on here may be women, so in that case should substitute "wife" for "husband". Of course, I also realise that some may not be married, in which case substitute the word "wife" or "husband" for partner. Of course, some may not have either, in which case ignore that part of the post and carry on.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Just back from London, stuck in slow moving traffic on M4 before my turn off and watched the team coach going the other way.
Plenty of streamers and party hats in evidence,all looked in good spirits :~D - only joking, all this for the return journey! :lol:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Almost everybody on here is predicting a defeat for us on Saturday.

Of course, if we lose people on here will still kick off.

I don't understand that myself - why would people predict a loss, then moan about it when we do. Surely, if you don't expect the team to win, and they subsequently do go and lose, you should shrug your shoulders, kick the dog*, hit the wife*, and get on with life.

*obviously I don't condone such actions and this was made purely to get a point across. I also realise some people may not have either a dog or a wife, or both, and some on here may be women, so in that case should substitute "wife" for "husband". Of course, I also realise that some may not be married, in which case substitute the word "wife" or "husband" for partner. Of course, some may not have either, in which case ignore that part of the post and carry on.
I think to a large extent you are right Scott but it depends on the closeness of the prediction. For example, i predict a heavy loss at Gillingham and if that happens and we play like schoolkids then i won't be moaning about it as i expect it however, if i predict a defeat but say it will be tight and i'm hopeful of a draw like the Northampton game for example then should we get beat i feel it is ok to come on and highlight concerns about the performance of if you see what i mean?

Like the Vale game at home, i expected a certain defeat and held out zero hope of even getting a draw so couldn't complain when that eventuality happened. Contrary to most peoples thinking, i don't moan EVERY week! :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Lovely sunny morning over the river in Essex. At least it won't be quite as cold today as it was for the last three away games.
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Woken up to a bright sunny day and suddenly feel more positive about today.

Although concerned about losing Poke I don`t think Rice has done much wrong in games he has played this season. Without Poke behind them to rely on, hopefully the defenders will know they have to up their game a bit and concentrate on what`s going on around them. Definitely a game for Downes to come back in I`d say.

My biggest concern is up front and whether Rene can be bothered to put in a shift as I can`t see Knill leaving him out. If we can raise our game back to recent away levels then who knows we may get a well earned point out of this one and if Clem does a feature on Gillingham for the Football League Show (highly possible given their potential to get promoted today) we can hope that this backfires on the featured team as usual and we may even take all three!!

I see Port Vale gave Burton a hammering last night (7-1), hope they`ve kept some back for Aldershot on Tuesday as well.

I`ll go for 1-1 (Downes)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I too have confidence in Ricey to do a job in goal. And I wouldn't leave Rene out either. Some people seem to be soooooooooooooooooo negative and half-hearted in their support of the team. Or maybe it's the Bi-polar epidemic..!

If people complain about Rene's apparent apathy this year, the same could be said of most of the team. Yet he's scored 16 goals this season and, the Easter Monday game apart, Knill has restored the motivation and fighting spirit the team needed.

So if the last performance was indeed nothing more than a blip, we can look forward to another good effort from the lads today, and hopefully the reward of a good result..

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I understand the referee will be Andrew Madley. His record this season is 33 games, 2 red cards, 92 yellows (average 2.8 per game).

Watford boss Gianfranco Zola gave him a thumbs down after their 1-2 home defeat to Blackpool in March. But I'm reasonably optimistic about this ref's decision-making, though Rene will probably pick up a yellow...!!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Decided I'm going to head to this one for my third game in just over a week. Must be mad!

I know everything points to a defeat, but I've just got this strange sense of optimism that we could just pull off a result. If we play like we did last Friday at Northampton, I think we'll get something. If we play like we did on Monday, we'll get a drubbing. I think the boys will enjoy playing without any pressure on them (seeing as no-one fancies us - with good reason!), and if we defend well and counter attack effectively, who knows.

Think the first goal is crucial. If Gillingham get it early, they'll go on and win comfortably. If we can sneak an early goal, or at the very least keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible, we'll stand a good chance of getting a draw or maybe all three points.

Would like to see Downes in for MacDonald. Angus is a good prospect, that's for sure, but from what I've seen of the last two games, his inexperience has made us a little shaky at the back at times. I'd imagine Lathrope will come in for Labadie as well. As much as I'd like to think Nathan Craig is the answer, I'm not entirely convinced that he is just yet (even when I've seen him playing in the centre of midfield).

Reckon a 1-1 draw today - not really what we need, but would represent a good result and give us a platform to build on for the last few games.

And for those that remember, the similarities with that trip to Carlisle under Ian Atkins are there for all to see, and we all know how that finished! Video evidence here - (from 4:30 on, although the whole thing is worth a watch). COYY'S!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:
And for those that remember, the similarities with that trip to Carlisle under Ian Atkins are there for all to see, and we all know how that finished! Video evidence here - (from 4:30 on, although the whole thing is worth a watch). COYY'S!!
All the bed-wetting surrender monkeys on this site should watch that video! :na:

5 points adrift with 4 games to play, I don't remember everybody giving up then so why now?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Ian Atkins :bow: :bow:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

COYY!!!

Forget Barnet, go all out in this to somehow get a win and we'll be safe. We'll have 3 easier games to get another win. There are 3 points to be won today lads and you are playing Gillingham NOT Man Utd. You CAN win!! ( i am pessimistic to the extreme for this one ) BUT YOU CAN DO IT AND PROVE MOST OF US WRONG!! COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Please, please help meTorquay Utd, spent an 8 hr n/shift working along side an exiled Gillingham fan gobbing off all night about how they were going to ease to a 3.0 win.

I warned said Gills fan there could be a sting in the tail, please make that happen TUFC so I can enjoy my working week.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

forevertufc wrote:Please, please help meTorquay Utd, spent an 8 hr n/shift working along side an exiled Gillingham fan gobbing off all night about how they were going to ease to a 3.0 win.

I warned said Gills fan there could be a sting in the tail, please make that happen TUFC so I can enjoy my working week.. :)

Is this POSSIBLE? :-/ :lol: