The Gaming Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

The Gaming Thread

Post by stevegull »

I'm unsure as to how many of our forum members are likely to be interested in this thread but I thought it might be interesting if enough of us have electronic gaming things!

So this is the thread where you can discuss your favourite ever Playstation/xbox/Nintendo or whatever game and ask other members which games you should get or which ones you should avoid!

To kick us off I've got a playstation 3 but am a bit stuck for games to play at the moment. I've grown a bit tired of Fifa and Call of Duty and need something new to get my teeth stuck in to. I recently tried and enjoyed Skyrim (such a vast game - magnificent engine on it) but wondered what recent games any of you think I should try or not try?!

What consoles do you have and which games are you currently enjoying?

Also, older members may bash the gamers in a seperate thread! :~D
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm going to shock you Steve and say i LOVE computer games ( Yanks call them video games but to me they'll always be computer games ) but i'm going to live up to my reputation and moan about them. :~D

I've got a PS3 but hardly play it anymore. As someone who really got the gaming bug by having a PS1 and playing all the greats like Resi Evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider etc then a PS2 with Devil May Cry and Ico and such i have been spolied and although the graphics and detail in todays games are incredible, the games makers have lost the plot and it's all about cashing in on tired but amazingly popular stuff like COD and Assassins Creed and the like.

All todays games are about is the dreaded cut scene, play for a few minutes, kill a few enemies, then watch a cut scene for 5 minutes which you can't skip and even if you didn't want to it soon gets tedious. Every 2 f*cking minutes there are cut scenes and dialogue. If i wanted to WATCH something then i'd get a f*cking DVD! As it is i want to play something freeflowing and imaginative without all the needless interruptions. Then it gets worse, that God awful 'press your buttons in sequence as it shows you on the screen to battle an enemy' annoyance. If i have to fight an enemy can i not just go ahead and f*cking do it by bashing the buttons frantically and moving about the place AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE SINCE 1980 SOMETHING? Pathetic. Also now in games like Drakes and stuff, if you get stuck then after a while the game will give you clues! Back in the day of PS1 if you didn't know what you were supposed to do then you stuck at it until you bloody well found out and the satisfaction you got from that achievement was greater than 'passively' completing Call Of Duty four thousand and sixty seven : we've all had a f*cking nough.!! :@

They keep on releasing games like Call of Duty which is now so dull i'd rather drip vinegar into my pisshole and save myself 40 quid. I'd get more enjoyment. There are some good games i like such as Dead Space and if you haven't played it i recommend it but for every good game there are hundreds of plodding duds waiting to be bought and exchanged on the same day for something else. :-/

Why does EVERY game have to be about the random slaughter of soldiers and stuff. There is nothing to test your brain, no puzzles to solve and where the f*ck have all the platformers gone? Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot and the like? Now it's all kids games based on animated movies and that's your lot. Absolute bellends the games makers. Idle f*ckers, given up on the art of innovation to serve the mindless online multiplayer generation. Pathetic.

I bought a PS Vita and sold it within a few months. Now nearly a year later there are STILL no games out for it that i would have bought even if i still had it. Sh*t.

Sorry about that Steve. :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

If you enjoyed Skyrim, 100% give Fallout 3/New Vegas a go!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

YES ANDY! You are certainly full of surprises and I agree with alot of what you have written.

A lot of these companies are getting away with just repeating the same format for a game but slamming another word on the end of the title like 'redemption' and pass it as a whole new gaming innovation. I also had a PS1 and 2 and enjoyed playing games like Tomb Raider and Jedi power battles in my childhood.

Andy, you may dislike big cutscenes in games and I normally agree but I thoroughly enjoyed playing a PS3 game called Heavy rain that was released a year ago or something. It's essentially a story and it is like a DVD but you can completely alter the way the story goes. It's more about your decision making and what you think certain characters in the story should do in order to solve a murder case. You have to snoop around looking for clues and generally immerse yourself in the story. However, you may not like the action sequences as it is mostly pressing the button that comes up on screen. It just works in this game though as the plot can change based on whether you passed the action sequence or not. Also, if you let a character die - he's gone. No reloading your game. The plot goes on with one character in the ground, or in a crushed up car. It's a terrific story and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good complex story.

Thanks for the tip OllieGull. One of my mates suggested Fallout 3. I don't really know a lot about it though and haven't played either of the other two. What console do you have Ollie?
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper

Post by OllieGull »

Just imagine a post apocalyptic future Skyrim ^.^ and I have a 360!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

stevegull wrote:YES ANDY! You are certainly full of surprises and I agree with alot of what you have written.

A lot of these companies are getting away with just repeating the same format for a game but slamming another word on the end of the title like 'redemption' and pass it as a whole new gaming innovation. I also had a PS1 and 2 and enjoyed playing games like Tomb Raider and Jedi power battles in my childhood.

Andy, you may dislike big cutscenes in games and I normally agree but I thoroughly enjoyed playing a PS3 game called Heavy rain that was released a year ago or something. It's essentially a story and it is like a DVD but you can completely alter the way the story goes. It's more about your decision making and what you think certain characters in the story should do in order to solve a murder case. You have to snoop around looking for clues and generally immerse yourself in the story. However, you may not like the action sequences as it is mostly pressing the button that comes up on screen. It just works in this game though as the plot can change based on whether you passed the action sequence or not. Also, if you let a character die - he's gone. No reloading your game. The plot goes on with one character in the ground, or in a crushed up car. It's a terrific story and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good complex story.

Thanks for the tip OllieGull. One of my mates suggested Fallout 3. I don't really know a lot about it though and haven't played either of the other two. What console do you have Ollie?
I've played a bit of Heavy Rain, Steve and for that sort of game the cut scenes are appropriate as the game is all about slow investigations and interactions and the cut scenes help develop the story but for an action game where all you want to do is get a rifle and blast everyone whilst collecting ammo, these cut scenes truncate the game far too much that you can never seem to get 'going' as it were and enjoyment of the game is severley impeded.

Have you played the Dead Space games? They are excellent.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

I haven't played Dead Space either - you clearly all eclipse me with your gaming prowess!

In gaming news recently, Disney announced they would be effectively abolishing the Lucasarts division of their purchase of all 'Lucas' companies. Lucasarts used to make some top games in the 90s and to be honest I had some top times rattling around on some old Lucasarts Star Wars games during my childhood. I have long craved for some new decent Star Wars game and they did have a game in development called '1313' that has also stopped production thanks to the shutting down of Lucasarts. Apparently now Lucasarts will operate mostly as a provider to 'licence' games and let them use the Star Wars brand to make games (and money!). I've long craved for some kind of Star Wars game done in the Skyrim style and now companies can approach Lucasarts with this ideas I hope some company helps my nerd dream come true!

I'm getting my teeth into some new releases this week thanks to an informed friend and I will tell you lot what I think of what I manage to get my hands on...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

austrianandygull wrote: I've got a PS3 but hardly play it anymore. As someone who really got the gaming bug by having a PS1 and playing all the greats like Resi Evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider etc then a PS2 with Devil May Cry and Ico and such i have been spolied and although the graphics and detail in todays games are incredible, the games makers have lost the plot and it's all about cashing in on tired but amazingly popular stuff like COD and Assassins Creed and the like.
That annoys me too - although, with that said, if people stopped buying them they'd stop making them making them pretty quick. Same thing with FIFA. I don't play football games (I'd rather go and actually play football) but there's no earthly reason you need to buy a whole new game every year - they should just release new team packs and charge you a tenner or something.

austrianandygull wrote:All todays games are about is the dreaded cut scene, play for a few minutes, kill a few enemies, then watch a cut scene for 5 minutes which you can't skip and even if you didn't want to it soon gets tedious. Every 2 f*cking minutes there are cut scenes and dialogue. If i wanted to WATCH something then i'd get a f*cking DVD! As it is i want to play something freeflowing and imaginative without all the needless interruptions.
Depends on the game. Sometimes they can get in the way of the action, in others they really help explain the story - and one thing I have noticed in the last few years is that studios are at least trying to get some decent writing in there. Of course, one of my favourite games didn't have any cut-scenes (Half Life 2) and just explained stuff along the way.
austrianandygull wrote:Then it gets worse, that God awful 'press your buttons in sequence as it shows you on the screen to battle an enemy' annoyance.
Yeah, that is annoying when it's entirely pointless.
austrianandygull wrote: If i have to fight an enemy can i not just go ahead and f*cking do it by bashing the buttons frantically and moving about the place AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE SINCE 1980 SOMETHING?
this made me laugh - you're basically saying "why do i have to have any sort of skill?!"
austrianandygull wrote:Pathetic. Also now in games like Drakes and stuff, if you get stuck then after a while the game will give you clues! Back in the day of PS1 if you didn't know what you were supposed to do then you stuck at it until you bloody well found out and the satisfaction you got from that achievement was greater than 'passively' completing Call Of Duty four thousand and sixty seven : we've all had a f*cking nough.!! :@
Or you did what everybody else did pre-internet and wait for the solution and walkthrough to show up in CVG or Gamesmaster magazine.
austrianandygull wrote:Why does EVERY game have to be about the random slaughter of soldiers and stuff. There is nothing to test your brain, no puzzles to solve and where the f*ck have all the platformers gone? Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot and the like? Now it's all kids games based on animated movies and that's your lot. Absolute bellends the games makers. Idle f*ckers, given up on the art of innovation to serve the mindless online multiplayer generation. Pathetic.
The public wants what the public gets, as the Jam put it. Although there was a new Ratchet and Clank just recently. (they're my favourite, too)

There are some decent games. Just finished playing Bioshock Infinite which was bloody tremendous (although the ending disappointed me a bit). Looking forward to GTAV when that eventually comes out too. I like some shooty games - I absolutely loved Borderlands 2 - but I'm just as happy with a puzzle game. Got one called The Cave with my PS+ membership recently, and that was fun.

With all that said, I still break out my Dreamcast, N64, NES and Megadrive occasionally for some proper old-school gaming.

One other thing that is interesting - I supported the OUYA on kickstarter; I should be getting that soon. I think that could be a lot of fun. I
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper

Post by OllieGull »

stevegull wrote:I haven't played Dead Space either - you clearly all eclipse me with your gaming prowess!

In gaming news recently, Disney announced they would be effectively abolishing the Lucasarts division of their purchase of all 'Lucas' companies. Lucasarts used to make some top games in the 90s and to be honest I had some top times rattling around on some old Lucasarts Star Wars games during my childhood. I have long craved for some new decent Star Wars game and they did have a game in development called '1313' that has also stopped production thanks to the shutting down of Lucasarts. Apparently now Lucasarts will operate mostly as a provider to 'licence' games and let them use the Star Wars brand to make games (and money!). I've long craved for some kind of Star Wars game done in the Skyrim style and now companies can approach Lucasarts with this ideas I hope some company helps my nerd dream come true!

I'm getting my teeth into some new releases this week thanks to an informed friend and I will tell you lot what I think of what I manage to get my hands on...
Did you ever play Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic? 8-o Possibly my favourite game of all time!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

TOP QUALITY. What a game! Also a fan of the old 'Jedi Academy' games that came out where you could work your way up being a Jedi and slaughtering some stuff along the way! You earn 3 nerd points from me, Ollie!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper

Post by OllieGull »

stevegull wrote:TOP QUALITY. What a game! Also a fan of the old 'Jedi Academy' games that came out where you could work your way up being a Jedi and slaughtering some stuff along the way! You earn 3 nerd points from me, Ollie!
It's such a nostalgic game for me! Missed it so much I went out and bought it again so I could play it on my 360, actually saying that I was on it the other week :) , and I do vaguely remember Jedi Academy, also Star Wars Battlefront as well!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Bioshock 1 and 2 were great, not played the new one yet. Far Cry 4 was fun and I agree the fall out games are a must. Look out for The Last of Us out very soon. Google it...the trailers look amazing!

My PS3 id is jimtufc feel free to add me.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

I'll add you on ps3 in a bit Devon Yellow... The last of us does look quality as well. The main thing i'm looking forward to now is GTA 5... It looks vast!!

I've just downloaded a game only available on download called Guacacamlee and it seems quite fun on first impression. It's not a gritty, long-winded game but it is fun for what it is. I'll play it a bit more and post my findings...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I'm going to shock you Steve and say i LOVE computer games ( Yanks call them video games but to me they'll always be computer games ) but i'm going to live up to my reputation and moan about them. :~D

I've got a PS3 but hardly play it anymore. As someone who really got the gaming bug by having a PS1 and playing all the greats like Resi Evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider etc then a PS2 with Devil May Cry and Ico and such i have been spolied and although the graphics and detail in todays games are incredible, the games makers have lost the plot and it's all about cashing in on tired but amazingly popular stuff like COD and Assassins Creed and the like.

All todays games are about is the dreaded cut scene, play for a few minutes, kill a few enemies, then watch a cut scene for 5 minutes which you can't skip and even if you didn't want to it soon gets tedious. Every 2 f*cking minutes there are cut scenes and dialogue. If i wanted to WATCH something then i'd get a f*cking DVD! As it is i want to play something freeflowing and imaginative without all the needless interruptions. Then it gets worse, that God awful 'press your buttons in sequence as it shows you on the screen to battle an enemy' annoyance. If i have to fight an enemy can i not just go ahead and f*cking do it by bashing the buttons frantically and moving about the place AS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN DONE SINCE 1980 SOMETHING? Pathetic. Also now in games like Drakes and stuff, if you get stuck then after a while the game will give you clues! Back in the day of PS1 if you didn't know what you were supposed to do then you stuck at it until you bloody well found out and the satisfaction you got from that achievement was greater than 'passively' completing Call Of Duty four thousand and sixty seven : we've all had a f*cking nough.!! :@

They keep on releasing games like Call of Duty which is now so dull i'd rather drip vinegar into my pisshole and save myself 40 quid. I'd get more enjoyment. There are some good games i like such as Dead Space and if you haven't played it i recommend it but for every good game there are hundreds of plodding duds waiting to be bought and exchanged on the same day for something else. :-/

Why does EVERY game have to be about the random slaughter of soldiers and stuff. There is nothing to test your brain, no puzzles to solve and where the f*ck have all the platformers gone? Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot and the like? Now it's all kids games based on animated movies and that's your lot. Absolute bellends the games makers. Idle f*ckers, given up on the art of innovation to serve the mindless online multiplayer generation. Pathetic.

I bought a PS Vita and sold it within a few months. Now nearly a year later there are STILL no games out for it that i would have bought even if i still had it. Sh*t.

Sorry about that Steve. :lol:
Andy. Try looking at the mate of mine. he has a company called proper games, I wonder if he may have what your looking for. \you miserable old goat.
http://www.propergames.co.uk or possible .com
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

Guacamelee! review. In short, I didn't think I'd like this game at first but I really did like it.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/GAM ... story.html