Torquay United v Barnet - 16/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22111820.
Good analysis of what's at stake tomorrow.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yep, we can only hope that Edgar Davids underestimates just HOW MUCH is at stake for the clubs who drop and that it is not just 'another relegation'. Being relegated from League 2 is possibly the worst one you can have in English football. At least in the Prem you have the parachute payments to try and bounce back from the Championship at the first attempt. I'm not sure how Davids is measuring up in his first crack at management but i'm hoping and praying that he doesn't work us out tomorrow as we are likely to be pretty predictable to play against given the loss of Labadie and Chappell. They gave us a slightly different option and now we are back to how we have been for much of the season. If Davids is clever enough and has done his homework then the Bees won't have an easier 3 points as i cannot envisage anything different or game changing in our side and tactics i'm sorry to say. I am expecting it to simply come down to an attritional battle of two desperately bad football teams and whoever wants it more will get that bit of luck or enjoy a moment of magic to nick the points.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Occasionally (and perhaps more often recently) absolute disasters have occurred at Plainmoor. Tomorrow has every indication of being one such moment. Our two loanees have gone, our 'keeper is injured, some of our players are either too old or not good enough, and there is the distinct possibility of there being a larger crowd than usual. What usually happens in such games is that there is optimism and noise for five minutes, then it becomes apparent that the opposition are quite good, we let a goal in and...voila! Relegation.
I agree with Brucie.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I wish I could share your optimism. Unfortunately, I very much fear that the Gulls will win by a single goal. An own goal at that...!! =Z .................... :na:
Last edited by Gullscorer on 12 Apr 2013, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:Occasionally (and perhaps more often recently) absolute disasters have occurred at Plainmoor. Tomorrow has every indication of being one such moment. Our two loanees have gone, our 'keeper is injured, some of our players are either too old or not good enough, and there is the distinct possibility of there being a larger crowd than usual. What usually happens in such games is that there is optimism and noise for five minutes, then it becomes apparent that the opposition are quite good, we let a goal in and...voila! Relegation.
I agree with Brucie.
You didn't need to say anything Wivel - we KNOW you agree with Brucie everytime....has anybody ever seen Wivel and Tezza in the same room together?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wivelgull wrote:Occasionally (and perhaps more often recently) absolute disasters have occurred at Plainmoor. Tomorrow has every indication of being one such moment. Our two loanees have gone, our 'keeper is injured, some of our players are either too old or not good enough, and there is the distinct possibility of there being a larger crowd than usual. What usually happens in such games is that there is optimism and noise for five minutes, then it becomes apparent that the opposition are quite good, we let a goal in and...voila! Relegation.
I agree with Brucie.
So much rubbish in such a short post. It's almost impressive.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I just hope that the players are a bit more fired up then some of you miserable feckers on here!!

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I just hope that the players are a bit more fired up then some of you miserable feckers on here!!

:)
:goodpost:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

right this is it a massive game with pretty much everything riding on it as we all know.

i havent got a clue as to what game plan mr knill has for tomorrow but this is pretty much dog eat dog and as many have said we dont care if we pretty much have to fight, battle, scratch and claw our way to a win. we must win at all costs.

personally i think most football managers these days are bottlers who dont trust their players enough and put the shackles on too much, over do it with tactics and trying to reinvent the game. many are too negative and more scared of losing than they are wanting to go out and get the win. we cannot have this for the next 3 games we need to go for the jugular.

i know many of you dont rate our players but this is the same team that got 24 points by the end of october,less than 3 months of the season, and that was with a negative manager. its took us the nearly 6 months later and we havent doubled our tally but yes we have had some
sh!t bad luck.

all we should need is motivation at this stage and if relegation and the prospect of losing your jobs is not enough then they should be ashamed. even if the players are not skilled enough, 100% effort, determination and a sheer force of will can pull them through. The manager needs to do his bit by motivating them and letting them attack and take a few risks.

one person i am a massive fan of and see as a great role model is muhammad ali. ali made many famous quotes, quips and phrases but there are 2 which could apply to any sport and our players and manager should take heed of: in the words of the greatest -

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life."

"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
muhammad ali

i have the second phrase on a portrait of ali that hangs on the wall in my lounge. (the wife loves it :Oops: ) it can be inspiring and just tells you that will, grit, effort and determination can pull you through.

we can do this, i know we can, we have pulled through these type of situations many times. as supporters we must, must, must get behind the team tomorrow and leave the negativity if there will be any until after the game.

i shall be there tomorrow and indeed it will be the first time my son has been to a match. there are slight historical parallels here which could be a good omen. my dad took me to my first match which was the final game in the 86-87 season vs crewe, and we all know what happened there-

nobody thought we could pull it off then either. it still brings a small tear to my eye.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I have a free ticket for tomorrow for someone who can't afford to go :) message me
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

they'll score a late second half winner, they'll have done their research and realise that we are poor, and will let in a late goal!
The gulls are going up
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Good Morning All. I have that nervous stomach feeling already and its only 10am.
Ok my team for today with the players available.
Rice
Leadbitter Saah Downes Cruise
Maklin Mans Nathan C Thompson
Howe Jarvis

Before anyone says why no Bodin. Because hes done NOTHING. I want to play with high tempo from the whistle. I would like both wide men to be given the ball at every opportunity, i want Mans or Nathan C to gamble and hit the box also. I want a shot on target in the first few minutes. I want to see fight, passion and desire for 90 minutes. Not just for the first 45.

Ok the bad news, Leadbitter and Thompson will not start because they ran(jogged) past me on thursday on there way to Torquay from Paignton Community college training facility. That's some jog a couple of days before our game.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good post there Chunky, and i like the Mohammed Ali quotes mate, very inspiring. I despise Boxing on the whole but as a individual he was certainly an inspirational character. We need 11 of those out there on the Plainmoor pitch today please.

Despite some on here delighting in not allowing folk to change their minds, i WILL change my mind (much to their pleasure) IF we beat Barnet today. As it stands we are going down in my opinion but today is critical as we all know and if we get the 3 points then i think we will stay up. Nothing less than a win today will do no matter how we get it and there really is nothing more to be said.

Like many of you i am very nervous and it's only half ten. God knows what the players must be thinking but then again, you do have to actually CARE to experience these real tense feelings of nervousness and apprehension. Let's hope they care enough today to relinquish blood, sweat, energy and desire until the last ball is kicked.

COYY!!!!!!!!!!!! :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I expect to see passion and commitment from the players today, they owe the fans who pay their wages that much. Far too often this season we have seen heads down, hide from the ball, don't appear to give a damn. The team has a chance to make up for that today with a gutsy performance, in Barnet's face from the off (just like that game away to Barnet that saved our skins!).

No holds barred today, appeal for everything (with the crowd giving the ref and the Barnet players a really hard time throughout). Dive where you can get away with it, feign injury if necessary, waste time as appropriate. Try and get Barnet players sent off, whatever is required. We've been too soft this season, need a much harder edge in a critical game. We have to win this game, don't care how it is done.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

gullintwoplaces wrote: We have to win this game, don't care how it is done.
Today, of all days, I won't be around to get updates until late afternoon. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. The way I feel at the moment I just want it to be 5pm so I can get rid of my sweaty palms, twitchy legs and the uncontrollable urge to pace up and down.

COYY.