Torquay United v Barnet - 16/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bengull wrote:What a massive win, one of the great Plainmoor nights of recent times and the scenes at the final whistle where ones to savour. Full credit to every man who pulled on a Yellow shirt tonight, to Alan Knill and Chris Brass and every member of the Yellow Army who backed the players loud and proud for the entire 90 minutes. Analysing the performance is irrelevant, all that mattered was the 3 points and we all did it together. An amazing atmosphere.

Plenty of standout performances tonight, Downes was back to his best, Mansell covered every blade of grass, Lathrope put in lots of hard graft, Jarvis and Benyon ran until they could run no more, Rene was up for it and lead the line brilliantly.

Special mention to Billy Bodin, it may not have been the best shot, and it may have been the worst goalkeeping since Rob Green 2010, but if you don't shoot on target, you don't score. Been panned by many for the majority of the season, and although one goal does not make a season, he has just happened to score our most important goal of the season so deserves massive respect.

Great to see so much passion at the final whistle, great to hear a crowd in full voice. All this might mean nothing if we don't pick up results in the next two games, but we're above the dreaded line again at the moment and that's a great place to be. A massive night at Plainmoor and an absolute pleasure to be a part of it.

Encapsulated everything that being a fan of a lower league team is all about. Proud to be a Gull. See you at Morecambe!
dont let austrianbodinlover see that you posted that! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullintwoplaces wrote:My dear days, what a great evening, but very tense at the end. Well done to the team for 100% commitment tonight, great to see. They kept going against the odds, as Barnet had 13 players, 11 official ones + the ref + the pop side lino. Some first class performances tonight from the players, getting it right at a critical time. Well done to the fans too, right behind the team. Mrs Gullintwoplaces was very impressed with the team tonight, as was I.

I was shocked to see how Davids managed to con the ref tonight again and again. I felt that Barnet were a dirty side, not that talented and they could well go down (although Hyde looked good). Clear offside for their first goal, but Poke should have played to the whistle.
im not suprised hes first class at that! :@

as i said earlier, 2 tackles on him resulted in 2 yellows but.............

who cares! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Priceless result. A great night at Plainmoor. Well done to all. So happy. Now for Morecambe.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

:scarf: Brilliant night. Had to give away a trip to Heathrow so that I could attend!!! So glad that I did! Very very happy! We didn't give in once, we fought back again & again. Absolutely exhausted from cheering & clapping & singing.And texting 4 people who couldn't be there. COYYs! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: Really really good to see the players so happy when they scored & Manse ecstatic at the end.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

am gooin t'bed nah as am reight knackered like. See thee in t'morning all!

dreaming of Billy
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Best game of the season by a mile and a terrific atmosphere. Only 2700 people it seems are interested in the survival of league football in Torbay which is actually quite appalling.
Its nights like this though when being at a football match is so much better than pulling on a Man Utd shirt and going down the pub to watch the game like a **** saddo.
Absolute pulsating atmosphere - Is it an unwritten rule that every official wants us relegated because they can cut down on their travelling time to matches?
Edgar Davids played really well but apparently its another unwritten rule that if you are a world cup star no decision can be given against you.
Whatever way you swing it - we were ten minutes and an equaliser away from going out of the league tonight.
Now we have four teams below us with two games to play - whilst it has looked to me as though we were down I have always thought that if we went to Morecambe and were not in the bottom two this would be a game we could win.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Nights like tonight at Plainmoor are what makes being a Torquay fan so special. A gutsy and at times nervy performance, but in the end we got the result we were all hoping for.

I thought the referee wasn't too bad tonight. He tried to let the game flow and actually could have booked Howe for protesting to the lino in the first half. He settled for a ticking off thankfully.

Plenty of positives to take from tonight. Results on Saturday going our way could mean we are safe at 5pm. I'm at a wedding all day, so I bloody hope there is a phone signal.

Happy happy happy day.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What a great night. Winning 5-0 is all well and good, but it's nothing like as much fun as nights like yesterday.

Barnet are extremely lucky to have Davids. As per last year, they are a total one man band. Without McLeod's goals last year, they'd have been down by Christmas. Seems to have been the same this year with Davids. Everything went through him, absolutely everything. No denying his quality, but if they stay up and he leaves, they won't get lucky a third year running and will finish bottom next year by miles. Aside from him, they were totally standard L2 fare this year. There is absolutely no difference in quality between Barnet and Bradford this year, none what-so-ever. This is borne out by the fact that Rovers, with a bit of luck, could finish just 1 place outside the playoffs.

Still, great game, great fun and excellent to get the result which the match deserved. Barnet's first was so far offside that the Popside didn't react, we just stood, dumbfounded, at the lack of a flag which was so obviously due. Their second was close too, might have been given on another day. Aside from that, Pokey made two saves, both comfortable enough so as not to really warrant special mention. We scored three good goals, although their keeper will be disappointed with the second (Bodin) goal. Not really sure how he missed it.

I think we can get something at Morecambe. They're not a meaningful distance ahead of Barnet as to make them really any different to last night's opponents.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Its scary how bad the linesman on the pop was, clear offside for there first goal and just flagged everything wrong.

Ref clearly didnt want us to win either, 5mins of added time, thanks a lot!!

Did anyone think Barnets football was really weird? Took everything quickly and short forcing themselves into mistakes and then ultimately hoffing it forward, clearly Davids has forgotten its LEAGUE 2!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

also seemed way more than 2700 there!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

It was a little odd, Roar, but for me, it was their defending. Their plan seemed to be for everyone to rush about,crowding the man with the ball. That works fine against us, but can you imagine if they tried it against Gillingham, whose players seemed to be on a fine every time they took more than one touch, they'd be **** ed by the end of the match.

the weirdest team in the division football wise, for me, is Cheltenham I hate the way they play at home. Can't really put my finger on it, I just really hate their football.

I think Barnet may suffer for having Davids. He's their only quality and he's far too good for them, so their players seem not to be playing football, but are playing a game of 'get the ball to Davids as soon and as often as possible'. V strange indeed.

Matt.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I have to say the radio commentary tonight was awesome. The excitement every time Torquay got close was punch the desk entertainment.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Diamondgirl and I saw Breedy doing his nut when the third goal went in. He was in the media booth at the top of the Bench and, when we scored, the light came on and there was this giant of a man in a white shirt leaping about as if on drugs. It was one of the best things I've ever seen. It must have sounded brilliant on the wireless.

Matt.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

brucie wrote: Now we have four teams below us with two games to play - whilst it has looked to me as though we were down I have always thought that if we went to Morecambe and were not in the bottom two this would be a game we could win.
With our goal difference, if we win on Saturday and any of York, Barnet or AFC (they are at Gillingham) lose then we are effectively safe!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

barnet we're diabolical. one of the worst teams to play against us at plainmoor this year, davids was a waste of space! we weren't miles better, and a good team would of punished us, but we got a cracking 3 points and did the job, well done boys!
The gulls are going up