Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

I really can't understand why people are saying "if true" Martin Ling is Torquay united's manager. He has a contract that states exactly that so why are people doubting the fact. He was off from work ill but is now ready to return to work. If anybody believes this to be untrue please feel free to ask mr candy.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Maybe because you aren't an official spokesperson for the club? Forgive me for wanting the hear the news from an official source first before treating it as gospel...
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

So do you disbelieve that Martin is coming back ? No I'm not an official source but do you really believe that I would make such a statement if it wasn't true as I would loose all credibility on this forum. I told you I spoke with Martin personally yesterday and he told me the information himself.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

No no no

Blinkin disaster if true.

Style of football and tactics were dire!
TUST MEMBER
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I'm not doubting anything you have said - but it wouldn't exactly be the first time someone has claimed something on a messageboard only to be wrong later on would it? That's why I simply said 'if true.' There could be other contractual issues at play which mean ML might not have been able to tell you the whole story - we simply don't know. I'm grateful for you sharing the news but all I am saying is until anything is officially announced by the club I will keep an open mind - I'm sure there is a realistic prospect he will return.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I am a little surprised by people's posts

As fas as I am aware Martin is on a one year rolling contract, due for renewal in June. So nothing has changed really.

He feels better comes back to work, and then then he sits down with the board in June to decide his future.

If things are looking good then the board may decide it is in the clubs interests to give him another contract, although I doubt it would be rolling......if not they say goodbye and look elsewhere

Sometimes we have to trust the board to do the right thing

Overall I am happy Martin is getting fit again and can at least throw his hat in the ring to be manager next year
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Probably because we cant afford to pay him off

Everyone knows why he went awol and 'ill' - (D)

Would be a disastrous move to bring him back

:red:
Gullscorer wrote:
NOT a :goodpost: ...!! :@
Unfortunately its the case, sucide if it happens, might as well get ready to go down next year!

Means we have to suffer donkey Taylor too, its laughable really
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" . . . . . . goes the saying.

Well it is broke and it needs fixing at all levels of the club. In Andrew Candy we have a well capable CEO with his finger on the pulse and he realises the corpse this season has no pulse.

A root and branch remedy during the close season throughout all levels of the club is required. Everything at the playing level and boardroom level in need of the most urgent attention.

Andrew : do you require help in getting the sharp acts together ? ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

MidDevon wrote:I am a little surprised by people's posts

As fas as I am aware Martin is on a one year rolling contract, due for renewal in June. So nothing has changed really.

He feels better comes back to work, and then then he sits down with the board in June to decide his future.

If things are looking good then the board may decide it is in the clubs interests to give him another contract, although I doubt it would be rolling......if not they say goodbye and look elsewhere

Overall I am happy Martin is getting fit again and can at least throw his hat in the ring to be manager next year
Your not quite correct Martin has a 1 year rolling contract as you said but it is not up for renewal in June. The year rolling contract means there is always a year left on the contract. If the club wish to terminate martins contract they will always have to pay 1 years salary from that date.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

exactly the problem!! ^^
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I have posted about this before. I have had, and have given timed contracts before, a one year contract does not mean what you, and most others, think it does.

If you sign a one year rolling contract it gives you stability in the fact you have a year of pay ,even if your boss sacks you 2 weeks later, but each year on the anniversary you both sit down and only sign another contract if you are both in agreement.

Obviously I have not seen martins contract, but if he worked for our business we could let him go in June and that would be it.

I remember in the past being offered a 1 year contract and being excited until I understood what it meant!
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Good news that ML is fit and healthy .. Judging on what other posters have said anyway .. The main issue for me is style of football and tactics when looking at a manager .. Particularly substitutions when it's not going well .. I would choose Alan Knill on them basis definitely .. On the media side of it I would also choose AK because from what I've read and heard he does say the right things ( good or bad). Us fans don't want excuses we want actual reasons why we played so poor or why the management didn't see fit to bring a sub on when we clearly weren't creating enough goal scoring opportunities for most of the season (after September/ October)

Alan Knill for me .. I wish Martin well but I think we need someone who will lay the law down when it's tough and the players won't worry about any health issues halfway through a season (touch wood)

That's my opinion anyway.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

MidDevon wrote:

:O :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Giles
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Giles »

I know it was a frustrating time around Christmas, where we couldn't hold on to any lead thrown at us, but surely we only need to look at last season to see how good a manager Ling CAN be. Alan Knill has done a commendable job thus far but he is what he is - interim.

All it takes is for one astute signing, maybe a player like Bodin hitting his straps and next season we could be back in the play offs - WITH Ling. League Two can be a lottery at times.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

yellow wrote::goodpost: (SG)

It is the board that made ML’s job so difficult.

AK has overseen a couple of streaky wins and is now hailed as some sort of Messiah. Get real people.
i wouldnt say streaky.

can you honestly say we would have won those games with ling in charge?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468