Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I honestly cannot believe the crass comments on here about Lings illness.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I honestly cannot believe the crass comments on here about Lings illness.
Welcome to life Scott. Some people don't give a flying duck
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I honestly cannot believe the crass comments on here about Lings illness.
Neither can I. I agree with Scott and Dave. It seems some people make assertions which they present as facts, a result of them ignoring the real facts, if they ever knew them, and letting their emotions take control by listening to rumour and negative gossip and quashing any semblance of reason, logic, common sense, positive thinking, courtesy and respect. Martin Ling has been seriously ill, and was probably ill before he went on long-term sick leave. He would not be returning to duty if he were not fit to do so. Let's give the man a chance, and give him our full support.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by MH91 »

The same people that are saying bad stuff about Lingy right now were on home and away games last season and back then you could hear every now and again somebody shouting "Ling is a fecking genious". People tend to forget things very quickly. Who would know what would have happened if Ling had stayed throughout the whole season. I am convinced we would have never had 7 straight defeats with Ling. The same people that want Knill to stay would turn againts him if we start the next season with say 2-3 defeats...It is just laughable..
Rach
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Rach »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Probably because we cant afford to pay him off

Everyone knows why he went awol and 'ill' - (D)

Would be a disastrous move to bring him back

:red:
PlainmoorRoar wrote:Cant believe people want Ling back, the football is poor and he has no back up plan

I couldnt stand seeing him leaning against the dugout of another season
(unless he becomes 'ill' again) - laughable!!

The man has no right to return

Thoroughly disgusted by this person's comments on here about Ling's illness. Whatever he was suffering was he was ILL. And IF it was alcoholism, that is a very serious illness and is not to be laughed at. Have you forgotten what he did for us last season? Clearly so.

I'm pretty sure some good managers have had bad seasons, at least he was brave enough to admit he was ill and take time off and allow a replacement in. He could of carried on whilst he was ill, and potentially drove us into the ground, not wanting complete idiots like you to know how he was suffering and make awful comments and jokes about it. Ling deserves respect and support. I'm extremely pleased he's well again and feels ready to work, although I'm not sure myself who I would prefer as manager next season. Thank goodness most people on here have their heads screwed on and actually show him the respect that he deserves.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

Rach, you must be a Social worker or some sort of 'do gooder', when is it that people are going to start taking responsibility for their own actions in this crazy Country.... What he did for us last season ??? He kept us in League 2 and frustrated so many fans when it was easier to get promoted than fail !
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I think we should try and ignore this until we know where we are next week. Knill is in charge now, so we should focus on keeping up our support for him and Brass to get us over the finish line.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

An absolute disaster if this is true. I have attended every home match since Ling went awol and also away games at Morecambe and Northampton.
Knill may not be a genius but at least he tries to win football matches. Thats the top and bottom of it.
Jarvis has spent nearly all of the season sat getting splinters up his arsehole as Ling persisted with ONE striker.
As well as this he persisted with playing Craig on the wing - a player who can probably move slower than me.
Fair play to Knill - two strikers and another one in Jarvis out wide. Thats because all our wide men are crap.
Whether Ling's illness is stress,drink related I havn't got a clue but really his return is a recipe for disaster.
Boring,bland football. His family is god knows how many miles away. He stays at a relatives house and lets not skirt around it - is fond of a night out or two.
If he comes back not one lesson has been learnt by our board - I refuse to believe they could be that stupid.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

[quote="NickGull"]I think we should try and ignore this until we know where we are next week. Knill is in charge now, so we should focus on keeping up our support for him and Brass to get us over the finish line.[/quotes]

Post of the thread thus far,,,,

I have plenty to say regarding the season, not a lot of which is Ling/Knills doing so maybe we should leave it untill 16:55 Sat. ??
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

I think alan knill and chris brass have done a fantastic job, and I hope that they get the rewards from the fans at 5pm on Saturday for completing the job. I also have liked his positivity and confidence while he has been in charge. This new article below....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22245167

With regard to Ling, I hope that Knill hangs around for a while and assists Ling in any way he can. Im sure that Ling will receive all the necessary assistance from the club that his return requires.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

I wonder how much of our poor performance was down to Martin's illness before he went off sick? Surely if you are ill then you are not completely focused on the job in hand and this may have had a huge impact on our results and indeed the players prior to his absence. My position is clear. In an corporate environment, when a manager goes sick, someone is inevitably well placed to take on the temporary responsibility and without major disruption. In football however, this is completely the opposite. Without a manager there is no leadership and direction and Torquay simply cannot afford (financially and otherwise) to be without a manager for what amounts to half a season in the future.

I know we cannot guarantee that anyone will be illness free but we should listen to the warning signs. If there should be a relapse in the future where will be then? The club are probably never going to elaborate publicly on the reason's for Martin's absence. The board will be taking a gamble and that's the size of it. Let''s just hope that it is a bit more successful than the decision not to strengthen the squad in January.
Last edited by tauntongull on 22 Apr 2013, 10:57, edited 3 times in total.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The real insults and recriminations haven't started yet. What's being seen is only the sharpening of the knives.

At least there's a fair,just and efficient man now installed as CEO and the hand that rocks the financial cradle has now taken her place at the head of the table.

:clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Bitchie Renault

Post by Bitchie Renault »

So in general the 'unconfirmed' news that Martin Ling will be returning is greated in a similar way to his original appoinment. I am still willing to give the guy a chance, he did such an amazing job with a threadbare squad in his first season, made some brilliant signings and brought the best out of some mediocre players. Then with the spine of his squad ripped apart, he did his best to get the same results with less quality and much less finance to rely on. It went wrong (maybe for a large part down to his illness which by all accounts is now under control) and I'm sure he's the type of bloke who will learn a great deal from that.
For those who suggest Alan Knill is some kind of white knight saviour, he was given funds that Ling wasn't and has still only just scraped 15 points from 13 games, virtually identical points per game ratio as Ling this season, and Knill suffered some horrible home defeats against Wycombe, Oxford and Bradford, games where we really should've been picking up points.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Bitchie Renault wrote:So in general the 'unconfirmed' news that Martin Ling will be returning is greated in a similar way to his original appoinment. I am still willing to give the guy a chance, he did such an amazing job with a threadbare squad in his first season, made some brilliant signings and brought the best out of some mediocre players. Then with the spine of his squad ripped apart, he did his best to get the same results with less quality and much less finance to rely on. It went wrong (maybe for a large part down to his illness which by all accounts is now under control) and I'm sure he's the type of bloke who will learn a great deal from that.
For those who suggest Alan Knill is some kind of white knight saviour, he was given funds that Ling wasn't and has still only just scraped 15 points from 13 games, virtually identical points per game ratio as Ling this season, and Knill suffered some horrible home defeats against Wycombe, Oxford and Bradford, games where we really should've been picking up points.
:goodpost: a well thought out response from someone who doesn't let their emotions take over when posting your remarks are spot on. Martin has taken alot of stick but he wasn't supported by the board when he wanted to strengthen the team. Then once we are bang in trouble Alan knill is given an open purse to ensure survival, it's hardly a level playing field.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If Martin Ling returns as team manager next season and is given the funds to succeed he will succeed ?

What funds ? Any additional funds available to the manager for next season have been p*ssed up against the wall in an attempt to save this one.

The fault's of this season are due to more than the manager's sickness.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"