Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

For what it's worth I too think this hot topic is inappropriate at this moment in time as all conerns should be on Saturday's vital fixture against Bristol Rovers.
Clearly Martin Ling is due to return next month as this was stated by the then Chairman a while back, whether he will is not known.
After Saturday I would hope there will be some kind of official Club statement. Once this has been posted then is the time for us to voice our opinions.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

In response to a post on the previous page, noone has said he was drunk at work, which would of course constitute gross misconduct and be a sack-able offence. Once you are signed off sick though, you are untouchable until you return, no matter what your illness. Alcoholism, bad back, stress etc.

I have been told he spent time in a clinic which would probably have been why nobody was able to contact him.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Oh and I agree the timing of this thread couldn't be worse. Blame the OP for re-opening this can of worms though. He must have realised what the reaction would be.

On another note, Ling's transfer dealings have been very good. You have to separate out the performances though as one without the other is useless.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SteveDeckchair wrote:
I have been told he spent time in a clinic which would probably have been why nobody was able to contact him.
Back in the day nobody I knew even mentioned going to the "clinic". That's because it involved following a coloured tape line on the floor that led you directly to the pox doctor's surgery.

:clap: (that smilie means clap) :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

This topic has certainly caused much debate and as has been mentioned is an issue best left until Saturday at 4.50pm. The reason I am sceptical that this is all cut and dried is simply because there is still a chance we could be a non-league side by this time on Saturday (but hopefully it won't come to that!) Even if Ling had been in position I'm sure he or any manager in his role would firstly think about whether they want to manage in the conference which as we all know is a completely different beast. Also the board may want a change of direction if this was the case. I am hoping the directors will breathe a huge sigh of relief on Saturday as we remain a league club by the skin of our teeth, but I also hope they look back on this season with the realisation that certain decisions taken by them have contributed to us nearly becoming non-league again. I support Thea's move to chairwoman but I am still not sure we've got the required experience at the helm and feel we would benefit from someone with a football background on the board. Anyway those are issues for the weekend and beyond - I just hope we aren't here this time next year with a board who failed to learn their lessons...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

What is this fictional mass backing that Knill has had above Ling? Two short term loanees from the reserves of League 1 clubs? Is this what - had Ling had, we'd have been sailing towards theplay-offs? The club could hardly appoint a new manager and then say but you cannot have any new players because new managers generally always alter things.

Last season we may have seen Orient Ling but this year we most certainly saw the Cambridge one and most fans have seen enough and want the club to look elsewhere. Many seem set on Knill. Personally I am not and would prefer someone new.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

coley wrote:Rach, you must be a Social worker or some sort of 'do gooder', when is it that people are going to start taking responsibility for their own actions in this crazy Country.... What he did for us last season ??? He kept us in League 2 and frustrated so many fans when it was easier to get promoted than fail !
Haha a social worker. Give me some credit for goodness sake. I was merely saying that it is wrong to make light of his possible illness, as if the rumours are true, then it is a very serious illness.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

hector wrote:Last season we may have seen Orient Ling but this year we most certainly saw the Cambridge one and most fans have seen enough and want the club to look elsewhere. Many seem set on Knill. Personally I am not and would prefer someone new.
Really? You know this for a proven fact?
And how about last season we may have seen the Devonshire TUFC but this year we almost certainly saw the Cambridge one? Regardless of who was the manager?
You see, it's all rumour, gossip, emotion, prejudice, irrationality and unreason. None of us knows all the facts, but let's stick to what we do know: Martin Ling is our manager. He's a good manager, certainly no worse than most. He has been off work long-term sick with a serious illness. He is now to return to work, presumably fit enough to do the job. Let's give him a chance to do it, along with our good wishes and support.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Gullscorer wrote: You see, it's all rumour, gossip, emotion, prejudice, irrationality and unreason. None of us knows all the facts, but let's stick to what we do know: Martin Ling is our manager. He's a good manager, certainly no worse than most. He has been off work long-term sick with a serious illness. He is now to return to work, presumably fit enough to do the job. Let's give him a chance to do it, along with our good wishes and support.
:goodpost:
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Gullscorer wrote: ...let's stick to what we do know: Martin Ling is our manager. He's a good manager, certainly no worse than most.
That awkward moment when somebody talks about 'facts' and what we 'know' and then spouts their own opinion as thought it is thus. ;-) o:)

This whole thread is conjecture, to be honest, as are most of the so-called 'informed' threads on here. If the club's employees are as free with information to friends - whom they must know are disseminating it to the public - then I would be very surprised. This thread is the first that I have seen of the drink rumour also, so God knows how this is suddenly 'widely known'.

I personally don't want him back just for the truly turgid style of football I have seen whenever I've seen us play under him. Our win against Barnet may not have been particularly pretty, but we fought for every ball, showed genuine attacking desire for almost all of the match, and even had a few little moments where we showed we can actually play a bit if we foster that belief and philosophy throughout the club. I just can't see this happening under Martin Ling, unfortunately.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

All you bankers slating Ling returning to HIS job (if this is true) are doing one thing and that's, causing damage to to Torquay Utd. Show the guy some support and faith. If we don't and get on his back guess who loses?.............US!

Show some support give him the backing, don't strike him down. Let's hope some of you aren't on the other end of the phones on Temperance Street multi story.

Grow up!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

madgull wrote:
That awkward moment when somebody talks about 'facts' and what we 'know' and then spouts their own opinion as thought it is thus. ;-) o:)

This whole thread is conjecture, to be honest, as are most of the so-called 'informed' threads on here.

Pot and kettle spring to mind.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Gullscorer wrote:
And how about last season we may have seen the Devonshire TUFC but this year we almost certainly saw the Cambridge one? Regardless of who was the manager?
You see, it's all rumour, gossip, emotion, prejudice, irrationality and unreason. None of us knows all the facts, but let's stick to what we do know: Martin Ling is our manager. He's a good manager, certainly no worse than most. He has been off work long-term sick with a serious illness. He is now to return to work, presumably fit enough to do the job. Let's give him a chance to do it, along with our good wishes and support.
Well, it appears from the comments you read and hear that more would prefer the club to look elsewhere.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

The fear I have is that Ling quite clearly won't want to resign and even if the board did sack him, given that he was off ill they could find themselves at an employment tribunal or something. Yet ML's working conditions will be exactly the same when/if he returns. Hertfordshire won't be any closer to Torquay so even though he has had some time off what is to stop this from happening next season? Surely the worst case scenario will be to go into next season and lose 3 of the first 5 games, the pressure will be on again straight away and we will be back to square one. (or the blue square!) I'm very grateful for ML's efforts but aside from the football debate I honestly think a clean break is needed by all. My fear is that for the reasons mentioned that won't happen although we'll have to wait and see - I just don't think my nerves can take another season like this one!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I for one won't be returning if the board make a massive mistake and bring Ling back. The boring brand of football is enough to put me off.
Whether the illness is stress related or drink related is probably irrelevant. Unfortunately Torquay United isn't a convalescent home for flawed managers. If Ling hasn't been well enough to do his job for the last god knows how many months, how the hell is he going to react to the Torquay fans who won't be so forgiving next season.
Isn't Ling also banned from driving? - if so pretty poor judgement shown there as well. That must make getting to and from Hertfordshire a real logistical problem.
Its just a recipe for disaster really and is a risk that we just cannot afford to take.