Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

wodger of awabia wrote: It's a change of luck (we have not had much all season ) that has kept Tqy in L2. The Barnet goal keeper should have saved Bodens goal, & the sending off & daft own goal at Morecambe gave us a good base for the win. Eleven against eleven & it could have been a different story. Just look at the table & see where we would have been with these two games drawn, & 4 points less.

And if my Auntie had B**l's she would be my Uncle. You cannot "cherry pick" and point to that as a reason for whatever happens.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

I understand what you are saying Plymgull, but we dont know how the season would have panned out, if Martin had been at the helm throughout.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

diamondgirl wrote: So, are you suggesting that we dont need to bother having a manager then. Lets just hope that lady luck shines on us throughout the season, and we get promoted to the premier league in due course?
Don't be so silly!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

diamondgirl wrote:[
It's a change of luck (we have not had much all season ) that has kept Tqy in L2. The Barnet goal keeper should have saved Bodens goal, & the sending off & daft own goal at Morecambe gave us a good base for the win. Eleven against eleven & it could have been a different story. Just look at the table & see where we would have been with these two games drawn, & 4 points less.

And if my Auntie had B**l's she would be my Uncle. You cannot "cherry pick" and point to that as a reason for whatever happens.[/quote]

"Cherry picking" is where you select isolated facts or stats, & ignore others, in order to confuse, or "smudge" an issue or argument. My point was hypothetical, I invited readers to view the current L2 table & draw whatever conclusions that they wishes to make.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wodger - nonsense I'm afraid. So the Barnet keeper let one in so what. Its got nothing to do with luck. We attacked in that game, didn't try to hold out for a one nil and on another day could have won by more than we did.
Morecambe - were you there? a lucky goal for sure but thats exactly where it ends. Their player got sent off for fouling Benyon when he was the last man. In fact he did it before that and had been booked perviously.
So that was nothing to with luck at all - perhaps it had something to do with having four forwards on the pitch.
Who knows what the score was if had been eleven v eleven - all I know is we looked capable of stepping it up a notch if we had to, but we won in a common canter in the end - if you think that was luck in a pressure game, you are in dreamland.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Fully understand what you are saying Wodger. One has to take good and bad luck throughout a season. Lets just hope that a little bit of the good stuff goes our way on Sat. so that we can look forward, with anticipation and hope, to the coming L2 season. :scarf: :)
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Al i know is the football under Martin Ling was awfull to watch, attendances and morale dropped. Fans started to turn away from attending matches. Wether Alan Knill is a beter long term manager doesnt really matter, securing our league position next season does.

I am happy for the board to spend the summer planning our future in the Football League.

Before i get hammered for not agreeing with the chosen few, this is MY view, trekking 100 miles south to watch Martin Lings version of football became a chore, and easy to opt out of. So i did many times. I will be there on Saturday, cheering the team on to a win and survival. Remember, Charimen, board members, managers and players come and go, fans follow their team for life.

This is OUR team, and I for one would prefeer to watch them without Martin Ling in charge. :-D
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

My brother stopped going to Plainmoor last season and before the end of the season slump set in. When I asked him why he said the football on offer didn't justify his money and effort. It got to February of this year before the penny finally dropped for me. I''ll be honest with you, if I didn't have a season ticket I would have stopped going long ago.I won't be getting a season ticket for next season. What games (if any) I attend next season depends on what turgid football is on offer regardless of who is manager.

Message to the Managing Director : When a manager needs sacking sack the f*cker. Now go f..., oops sack yourself, you've had too much say and too much sway and with the least (if any) money put in.

The only way this generous and genuinely kind hearted but business incompetent led board will get the message is when the Conference is revisited and gates drop alarmingly.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

brucie wrote:Wodger - nonsense I'm afraid. So the Barnet keeper let one in so what. Its got nothing to do with luck. We attacked in that game, didn't try to hold out for a one nil and on another day could have won by more than we did.
Morecambe - were you there? a lucky goal for sure but thats exactly where it ends. Their player got sent off for fouling Benyon when he was the last man. In fact he did it before that and had been booked perviously.
So that was nothing to with luck at all - perhaps it had something to do with having four forwards on the pitch.
Who knows what the score was if had been eleven v eleven - all I know is we looked capable of stepping it up a notch if we had to, but we won in a common canter in the end - if you think that was luck in a pressure game, you are in dreamland.
You have failed to realize that my post is hypothetical & not based on fact! it is an opinion. You have expressed your opinion that luck does not play a part in football, some football fans would express an opinion that a lucky award of a penalty, or a sending off resulted in them winning, ( or losing ) the game. It could also be argued that it was lucky that A.K. decided to bring Yeoman on when he did in the Morecambe game, someone else may believe that A.K. is a football genius & the Yeoman substitution was a pre-ordained master plan! . You also wrote that "on another day we could have won by more than we did, as we played an attacking game. This is also an opinion, someone else may believe that the best option would be to take off a forward & reinforce the midfield or defense. Remember a couple of seasons ago we went all of those hours & games without conceding a goal, so 1 goal scored was enough.
You have an annoying habit of confusing opinions & facts!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jim in his day fixed it.

Now we have Andrew Candy. Believe me, Andrew is good. In fact he is very good. Whether he is good enough and or in a position to fix what got broke this season only God the Joker knows.

A CEO and a Managing Director is a luxury TUFC can't afford. I'm sure Andrew has the ear of Thea. Time to whisper in the ear of the hand that rocks the cradle my old mate. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Should we have beaten Aldershot 4-3 after being 3-0 down..The most important result of our season...Was that luck as it should not have happened, or was that totally player generated...Examples and debates are so many and basically fruitless...Sorry
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper

coley wrote:Should we have beaten Aldershot 4-3 after being 3-0 down..The most important result of our season...Was that luck as it should not have happened, or was that totally player generated...Examples and debates are so many and basically fruitless...Sorry
F.A.O. Brucie

This is a good example of an opinion,it is in fact Coley's opinion, note that Coley has asked a question "was that luck as it should not have happened, or was that totally player generated" This is where Coley invites readers to offer their opinions, they could of course back up their opinions by stating facts if they wish to :) :) .
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

My OPINION is that we draw a line under this thread. This childish bollox is a distraction from the main business, which is staying in the League on Saturday. By all means argue who the manager should be on Sunday, but for fox sake just stop this childish, ill informed garbage for a few days.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

The subject was turning (as above). Come on, if you don't agree with a thread, don't read and certainly don't post. Most of us are over 21.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

coley wrote:The subject was turning (as above). Come on, if you don't agree with a thread, don't read and certainly don't post. Most of us are over 21.
On the basis of what I see above I have serious doubts about this. And is that physical or mental age?