Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

I was actually refering to being able to make the choice as to whether you want to read a thread, post on a thread or ignore it !
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

gullintwoplaces wrote:My OPINION is that we draw a line under this thread. This childish bollox is a distraction from the main business, which is staying in the League on Saturday. By all means argue who the manager should be on Sunday, but for fox sake just stop this childish, ill informed garbage for a few days.
Thought this was a forum????????
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

:) Yes, so did I :)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Bitchie Renault wrote: Hi Richins, as you have made an accusation against me, would you like to back it up with some facts? Or will you just leave it hanging there wildly unproven and lacking credibility? I predict you'll do the latter...
Feel free to go through all of my 80 odd posts since I 'recently' joined the forum and point out all the times I have made a comment targeting people. I would take a guess the number of times I have done so, and it is very subjective to a person with a sensible viewpoint, could be counted on one hand, compared to the 'estimated' hundreds of times someone like Brucie hurls unheralded abuse at defenseless individuals.

If Brucie entertains you that's your choice, I think he comes across as frequently nasty, spiteful and cowardly, but maybe my morals are different to yours.
There are a very high percentage of your posts which attack 2 people in particular and some of what you write is very personal indeed. In fact - in my eyes it is bullying. You have had an agenda against both Andy and brucie from pretty much the day you started posting and very much targeted these people. Both may have their failings but they have never got personal like you have.

It is my opinion that the real reason you started posting on here was to attack their views in particular and the name 'bitchie' suggests you have an axe to grind.

I understand this is a forum and the nature of it is that people disagree - however, I very much feel you crossed lines when you talked about posters 'not being missed' and 'crawling back'. Both your targets have never produced posts as personal and low as these.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Quite right! Enough teenage scribbling. OUR TEAM are facing a critical weekend, what the uck is the matter with you silly boggers. :goodpost:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Personally, I really think we should be looking elsewhere.

Firstly, the football isn't great. He plays slow left footed players in right midfield (please, someone explain that one to me) and is tactically fairly lacking. Last season, he found something which worked and stuck with it. It served us unbelievably well and we were sitting up in the automatic promotion spots but once the tactics got found out and the players started to tire, he made no changes and we dropped down a few places, eventually going out quite tamely in the play offs.

This season, we have been very inconsistent and the players have not been performing to the best of their abilities. This is down to lack of motivation and quality in the team. Considering 8 out of 11 players on the pitch were in the squad last year, and two of the three who left were comfortably covered, I don't believe the sales of O'Kane, Olejnik and Ellis are an excuse in any way.

The problem, I believe, is that despite a slight change of shape and personnel, the mentality of the way we play has been worked out. Sitting back is fine, as long as you have lightning fast pace to counter-attack or the passing ability of Barcelona to slowly build the play from the back. Instead, we lump it forward to a target man who's better with his feet than his head, he only has himself or one other player near him to pass it to as the midfield don't bomb forward to support him and if the wingers are there, Bodin has ability but often no end product and god forbid we put Nathan Craig or Morris on the right so he can send in another deep, inswinging cross which is easier for defenders to head away, goes over all heads for a goal kick or is easily catchable by the goalkeeper. It really is totally flawed tactics that would be slaughtered by the Football Management for Dummies book. Defensively though, I cannot doubt his ability. He does genuinely know how to set up a defence and if we had the ability to score goals, we would seriously be a title contender.

One thing that cannot be doubted though, is that he raises debate, splits the opinions of the forum and the thought of him coming back to manage us has sent a wedge into the unity between fans that Alan Knill has created, at a crucial time of the season.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

gullintwoplaces wrote:My OPINION is that we draw a line under this thread.
It ain't gonna 'appen. As stated before, this prelude is only a sharpening of the knives.

:O

As for the OPINION, in common with an 'rsehole, is everyone, including me, has one. Smell it ? Some go the extra mile and dump on 'ere.

:O

:clap:

Semper Fi

:engflag:

oohra
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I feel I'm missing out on an Internet based punch up.

I did post on this thread the other day, but it's gone missing, can't remember what I said, but it will have been pro-Ling, based on nothing more than the idea that the mud-slinging didn't start until we weren't doing so well, which probably isn't Dinger's fault (not sure how many more times I can say that we were comfortable mid-table with a shot at the playoffs until he went away). Last year, when we were in the playoffs and looking good, Dinger could have been filmed kicking a puppy off a cliff and people here would still be claiming he was the Messiah.

I love fickle football, it's great watching the peak and trough based on nothing more than the fortunes of 11 strangers hacking a ball round a field for an hour and a half a week.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:
I feel I'm missing out on an Internet based punch up.

I love fickle football, it's great watching the peak and trough based on nothing more than the fortunes of 11 strangers hacking a ball round a field for an hour and a half a week.

Matt.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

We do have some fickle fans that's for sure.

Didn't somebody start a thread moaning about Juan when he had only been here for three games?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Scott Brehaut wrote:We do have some fickle fans that's for sure.

Didn't somebody start a thread moaning about Juan when he had only been here for three games?

Juan Knill :lol:

Superb, I liked it then, I like it now.

:clap:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

If and that's an IF Martin does come back, we should all welcome him back. Is he the first person to take sick leave from an employer and return to work when fit. We may all call the board for being inept in this situation, but what company would sack someone whilst being on the sick with a sick note..yes you could, but expect to be in court and be prosecuted.
We have to give Martin the benefit of doubt and get behind him. I like the guy, equally I like Knill and how he has made us more attacking and confident, but he was always here until the end of season ONLY. Ultimately does knill even want the job, personally he has given his CV a boost and I would presume a return to Bury would suit him better, considering his home is up north. But as stated lets talk more on Sat night, we have to get behind the team and stop all this negativity. We can let rip come the final whistle as to this seasons dismal campaign but for now lets give our full support to TUFC
Lucy
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: Pot and kettle spring to mind.
Conjecture: the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof. No evidence for proof, as in this thread = conjecture. :red:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Duh !!!

Statement from recently departed Chairman = Fact, not conjecture.

Verbal confirmation from Ling himself also = Fact, not conjecture.

Your opinion = Conjecture trying to be passed as Fact.
Dave

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It is a recipe for disaster having Martin Ling back. Rightly or wrongly, he is tainted by this season. In essence it is his team. His return will at the least divide opinion and possibly alienate supporters at a time when many supporters have lost faith with the club after such a terrible season.

His football style was turgid and uninspiring and offered nothing in terms of entertainment and in the end, little in terms of results, such as his final 3 months in charge.

If the club really want to move on from this season, they need to start afresh, otherwise the chances are that next season will be a continuation of this one. If Ling does return, it will not take very long at all for people to get on his back because they were starting to anyway and that was before the disastrous run of late winter and early spring and before he went sick.

So in effect the club will be bringing back a manager that a lot of supporters do not want, so that can be added as a FACT because whatever people's opinion of Ling is, it doesn't alter the FACT that lots of people do not want him back. It hardly sets the club up for a positive start next year.