Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Cheers mate, I've never attacked another Torquay supporter on here if they dared to disagree with me because the truth is if we put ten of us in a room we would all disagree about something or another to do with Torquay but that's life if we were all the same this forum would be very boring.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

supergulls wrote:Jarvis was hardly setting the world alight early doors was he, people have short memory's. I remember when people were booing him and saying he was a waste of money. His performances up top have hardly been great. He has been pretty decent later in the season and at right midfield.
Ling signed him to be one of only 2 strikers in the squad. He must have rated him a bit. Unfortunately, he didn't want to play with more than one striker on the pitch at any one time. Pragmatic barely begins to cover it.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Gullscorer wrote: Fans are fickle! And Gulls fans no less so than many others (in my humble opinion of course). Whatever happens, they'll soon find something to moan and whinge about. And why not; they paid good money to be there? Well, they could quite easily stop paying that money, and go shopping or fishing instead.
But I'm not sure I'd want to watch football at a club where fickle fans made all the decisions..
Which is possibly what will happen if Ling is confirmed.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Ling did, indeed do very well in his first season. He surpassed everybody's expectations. He signed good players and although the football was dire, it got results. A big part of that was Eunan O'Kane, the form of Mansell, Nicholson and even Danny Stevens, plus Ellis, and then Ling's signings of Saah, Howe and of course, Olejnik. The football wasn't always pretty, although at times it was. The performance in the win at Home Park was excellent.

But I think for much of last season we slipped under the radar and teams found us out towards the end and they didn't seem to be the ability to change things.

This season though, Ling does not seem to have been able to veer away from his template of last season even though the players were different. When the football is dire and the team is not winning there is little to entice supporters.

In the end, managers are judged on their results...not results from a year ago, their most recent ones and the recent ones for ML were not good enough. If he is to stay then I really hope we get the Martin Ling of the first season but with the whole host of variables and factors such as recent recovery from stress related illness, the fact that a sizeable contingent of supporters do not want him and the need to completely rebuild the squad will make life that much harder for him. It is unlikely that he will get the benefit of the doubt that a new manager would get and if things start off badly it doesn't take much imagination to predict that supporters will be on his back more swiftly and more vociferously than they normally would be.

To be honest, I fear for Martin Ling if he comes back. For his well being and for the negativity - much more open negativity - that he is likely to face.

The fact also things were not going very well before he left do not augur well for his return. I have no personal axe to grind with him, I want him to succeed if he returns but I just fear the portents for success are unlikely and it will all end in tears.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

I for one don't think that it is all cut and dry yet, there are to be some awkward conversations in the next few days and I don't find it a coincedence that knill is having
"a holiday" for the next week in the area I suspect just in case those conversations don't go well.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And as well as being a Martin Ling hero worshipper you are not averse to sending abusive and threatening pm's are you? - Be careful you don't get banned. Back to school for you tomorrow matey :Z :Z :Z
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree with Forever's and Supergull's posts, and in part with Hector's. Martin Ling is not a perfect manager (nobody's perfect, not even me! :) ) nobody would expect him or any other manager to be, but I do think that he has been made a scapegoat and many fans have been unfair to him, particularly when you remember that he did ask for players in the January transfer window and was rebuffed.

And if Ling (or Knill or somebody else) is manager next season, he should be given our full support and his decisions should be respected. Give the man a chance, and remember that a manager's decision-making is not the only factor which determines success (or the lack of it). :-D
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Making a U turn now are we?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brucie wrote:Making a U turn now are we?
No. Read my posts. You may find an occasional typo, but it's unlikely.. :na:
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Ling is a first class n*b lets be honest,

I can't believe this crap with his contract where the threat of a tribunial is quite large if we want to oust him

its that or pay him the years salary which is A LOT OF £ for his 'skills'
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

Ban me all you like your boring
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gullscorer - the comment was not aimed at you sorry, it was aimed at supergulls (the poster who sends threatening pm to other members)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And the latest private message sent to me by supergulls:

Bore off you prick!! One thing I'm not is a keyboard warrior and I'm fronting you out now if your such a big shot meet me and ill f**k iron you out and kick you up and down babbacombe road. Then we will easily find out if I'm serious or as you say a keyboard warrior you f**k cyber bully. I bet everyone used to smash you in school and nick your dinner money you complete f**k melt

No doubt the moderators will act accordingly.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

How was I making a u turn, if you were bright enough to follow my posts I clearly stated that Martin was returning to work I also stated that it wasn't guaranteed it would be for the long haul.

As for you not only are you a boring, dull, absuive div your also a grass of the highest order. All the things I detest in a person you seem to excel at.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brucie wrote:Gullscorer - the comment was not aimed at you sorry, it was aimed at supergulls (the poster who sends threatening pm to other members)
Ah, right, understood. Although actually, Supergulls ain't that bad, no more than the rest of us. I'm a bit miffed he hasn't threatened to PM me..

:na: to you anyway.. =D
Last edited by Gullscorer on 28 Apr 2013, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.