Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

What we are failing to realise is that if Martin hadn't been ill we would be facing Dartford next season IMO but even if not, he still took us to the precipice whilst at the same time playing clueless football and failing to work out his methods were not having the desired effect but yet still chose to persist with them. So on that premise, do we want to welcome a manager back with open arms who would have taken us down without even bothering to try something different to halt the slide? I certainly don't. So what you are saying Scott is that his style of football is what the majority of fans want to see and are happy with? I reckon you should read through this thread a bit and get the gist of what it's about. :~D :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

If my advice is not taken then i'm afraid Plainmoor will once again become Zombie Nation both on and off the pitch.

Andy you are not even trusted to flip Krabby patties
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

If my advice is not taken then i'm afraid Plainmoor will once again become Zombie Nation both on and off the pitch.

:lol:

If we'd taken your advice we should have been preparing for the Conference after the Gillingham game, shouldn't we?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

You're happy if Martin returns and carries on where he left off then i take it?

If not then he should take my advice AND your advice and the advice of all of us who think his style of football is the primary fault with Mr Ling.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Where've I said that?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

You said that my advice was incorrect about us going down and you were completely right as it turned out. As this thread is about Ling then i presume you made the remark to basically say that my advice about him changing his tactics would also be incorrect. So therefore it must indicate that you hold a different view from me and that you are happy with him and his football then otherwise my advice would be the same as yours as we would agree yes?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote: If the club had listened to the majority of the fans on here, they would have told the players not to bother as the fans have already given up hope and have us down as being relegated....

in a way scotty the club probably did listen. they realised that if they did nothing and left taylor in charge then we would have been in the bsp next season, which as been said over two years would have cost the club £1M, without taking into account the loss of revenue from (perceived) lower gates.

the players appeared to be rejuvinated by knill/brass which was apparent in the performances since they arrived.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Not quite. I was just picking up on the point that you say we should follow your advice, when in the past it's been, well, awful. :)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

NickGull wrote:Not quite. I was just picking up on the point that you say we should follow your advice, when in the past it's been, well, awful. :)
:rofl:

if you think his advice is bad nick, wait till you meet him! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:You're happy if Martin returns and carries on where he left off then i take it?

If not then he should take my advice AND your advice and the advice of all of us who think his style of football is the primary fault with Mr Ling.
But Andy, if Martin is fully recovered and fit again, obviously he won't be carrying on where he left off! And nobody can surmise what he might or might not have achieved if he had not been taken ill. If his remit was to have kept the team in League Two, then a finish in twenty-second place would have been deemed a successful job done.

And he's not, repeat not, a bad manager. He's brought some excellent players into the club and achieved a degree of success. Every manager, even the best ones, presides over runs of poor form, which are also affected by other factors apart from managerial ability, such as illness, finances, boardroom decisions, injuries and suspensions. And whether he plays a basically attacking style or a defensive style of play is often forced upon a manager by circumstances.

But whether it's Ling or Knill next season, we should welcome and support whoever's in charge. Yes we can disagree with any number of things a manager may decide or do over a season. That's all a matter of opinion. But nobody should denigrate (and I'm not saying you are, but some appear to be doing so) the abilities and character of a man undeserving of such denigration.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 29 Apr 2013, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

You can't employ a manager - and then tell him how to manage. You either back his philosophy, or get rid and look elsewhere. I know what I'd prefer.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Gullscorer wrote:But Andy, if Martin is fully recovered and fit again, obviously he won't be carrying on where he left off! And nobody can surmise what he might or might not have achieved if he had not been taken ill. If his remit was to have kept the team in League Two, then a finish in twenty-second place would have been deemed a successful job done.And he's not, repeat not, a bad manager. He's brought some excellent players into the club and achieved a degree of success. Every manager, even the best ones, presides over runs of poor form, which are also affected by other factors apart from managerial ability, such as illness, finances, boardroom decisions, injuries and suspensions. And whether he plays a basically attacking style or a defensive style of play is often forced upon a manager by circumstances.

But whether it's Ling or Knill next season, we should welcome and support whoever's in charge. Yes we can disagree with any number of things a manager may decide or do over a season. That's all a matter of opinion. But nobody should denigrate (and I'm not saying you are, but some appear to be doing so) the abilities and character of a man undeserving of such denigration.
If we honestly entered the season with that mindset, it's no wonder we nearly went down. And there are issues to be addressed. You have to at least aim high surely? Obviously you have to be realistic, but if you aim for 22nd, you don't have to miss by much to end up very disappointed.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It was a rhetorical and hypothetical remark to illustrate the point I was trying to make.. :}
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Rhetorical, hypothetical or whatever else. I'd like to think you were plain wrong. If our ambition is of the level you suggest, it really is only a matter of time until we do exit the League again.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I was not suggesting at all that our ambition was at that level. Perhaps I should have inserted the phrase 'for example' after the first word of the sentence you highlighted. But I'll try to make my points in simpler terms in future. We're obviously intellectually incompatible..!! =D