Howe to the Gargs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

divingbboy wrote:As far as I know, he's had an offer on the table since Christmas, but has yet to accept it.
I was just going to say that but you beat me to it. Perhaps in favour of those wanting him to stay, he has said in interviews he prefers playing as one of two strikers, not on his own?
Could possibly bode well should AK get the job?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's not a given that Howe stays.

If he decides to stay on the basis of what he prefers, it should be over-trumped by what the club and new manager prefers. Howe then has a choice : take it or leave it.

What must be addressed is his disciplinary record and it's effect on the team. Withdrawing Howe from in progress matches when on a yellow card has to stop. This will be greatly reduced when Howe realises he'll be heavily fined for each card and subsequent playing ban.

:red: :rofl:

:O :rofl:

:nod: :whip:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

After James Brent's interview on the tv last night I wouldn't expect him to be pouring millions into Plymouths promotion push next year.
The bloke appears as tight as a ducks arse.
I am not so sure I would be that unhappy if Howe went to Plymouth anyway. I am just wondering if Rene is one of those players much like Zebs and Benyon who is better off at a small club where they are appreciated.
Not so sure that he would big hit there. Can't see it happening in any case.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Sunnysideup »

Trojan 67 wrote:It's not a given that Howe stays.

If he decides to stay on the basis of what he prefers, it should be over-trumped by what the club and new manager prefers. Howe then has a choice : take it or leave it.

What must be addressed is his disciplinary record and it's effect on the team. Withdrawing Howe from in progress matches when on a yellow card has to stop. This will be greatly reduced when Howe realises he'll be heavily fined for each card and subsequent playing ban.

:red: :rofl:

:O :rofl:

:nod: :whip:
Purely speculation on my part, but I wouldnt expect him to pick up as many yellows alongside another striker as he did on his own? (4 in the 13 games under AK?) Though thinking about it, thats probably about the same ratio as over the whole season Doh! :red:
Last edited by Sunnysideup on 30 Apr 2013, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Didn't Rene say he felt settled here more than at any other club he has played for. What with a young family and seemingly enjoying his football, I am sure players like Benyon will tell him the grass isn't always greener.

I'd take him for another two year contract no probs.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Think Rene gets a pretty raw deal - from our own supporters. Rest assured without his goals we'd have been in even deeper mire. He's a very capable striker at this level. And whilst he does has disciplinary issues, if he's not playing on the edge, something is lacking from his game. His form tailed off towards the end of the season - and it coincided with the disciplinary tightrope he was walking. I hope he stays, though am pretty much resigned to the fact he won't. Argyle? He can do better than that.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

When i first saw Rene play for us he looked lazy and didn't work at all, this really improved and the first half of this season he was putting himself about and his workrate was phenomenal add to that his goals tally. When we REALLY needed him these last 15 games or so he has gone missing completely and for someone so heavily relied upon that is unforgivable in my eyes and i do not want him to renew his contract under any circumstances. OK, so everyone thinks i'm a loony but he gave up on us just when we needed him.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:When i first saw Rene play for us he looked lazy and didn't work at all, this really improved and the first half of this season he was putting himself about and his workrate was phenomenal add to that his goals tally. When we REALLY needed him these last 15 games or so he has gone missing completely and for someone so heavily relied upon that is unforgivable in my eyes and i do not want him to renew his contract under any circumstances. OK, so everyone thinks i'm a loony but he gave up on us just when we needed him.
OK, get ready (I can't believe I am about to write this) - I AGREE WITH ANDY!!

:O :O :O :O

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

He didn't 'give up' on anyone. He was probably knackered, having played on his own up front in virtually every game we played.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Fitness issues then was it? If not then he gave up. You can still run around a bit and not score and get paid can't you?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Sunnysideup »

Fonda wrote:Think Rene gets a pretty raw deal - from our own supporters. Rest assured without his goals we'd have been in even deeper mire. He's a very capable striker at this level. And whilst he does has disciplinary issues, if he's not playing on the edge, something is lacking from his game. His form tailed off towards the end of the season - and it coincided with the disciplinary tightrope he was walking. I hope he stays, though am pretty much resigned to the fact he won't. Argyle? He can do better than that.
I would say his form tailed off a lot earlier than that. Since scoring at Bristol Rovers (in October) he managed 3 goals (excluding penalties) and even one of them was a deflection from a goalbound shot. In the same period (30 games?) he amassed 11 yellows.

Of course, the rest of the team were also hardly setting the world alight. I think he will be a better player alongside another striker though.
Last edited by Sunnysideup on 30 Apr 2013, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Missing? Nonsense.

He was putting as big a shift in as anyone towards the end of the season. The only difference was he was not scoring. The view completely overlooks the rest of his game, which is to hassle and cause defenders problems. This I feel he did, allowing other players to capitalise.
Last edited by SteveDeckchair on 30 Apr 2013, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

SteveDeckchair wrote:Missing? Nonsense.

He was putting as big a shift in as anyone towards the end of the season. The only difference was he was setting other players up and occupying the defenders rather than scoring.

Well i saw him at Northampton, Rochdale, Accrington and Morecambe and he was f*cking awful.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

He was playing up-front in a team that didn't make any chances. How many should he have scored exactly?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Well i saw him at Northampton, Rochdale, Accrington and Morecambe and he was f*cking awful.
subtle as a kick in the bo**ocks! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468