Howe to the Gargs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:

Well i saw him at Northampton, Rochdale, Accrington and Morecambe and he was f*cking awful.
Changed my post! he he
Last edited by SteveDeckchair on 30 Apr 2013, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

plus at Morecambe, a game we desperately needed to win and he swanned about like he didn't give a sh*t as the others showed nerves on such a big occasion but still got f*cking stuck in. Rene even got himself needlessly booked so he wouldn't have to play the last game. Purposefully i may add IMO. No excuse for it.

I'm not saying he should have scored, he stopped running, he stopped working and he looked completely devoid of interest in what was going on around around him apart from backing into defenders in the usual Rene style and bleating about not getting free kicks when he should have been getting his f*cking boots and body in there man!! :@
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Thus increasing his chances of getting a yellow card.......

His discipline sucks, I am not debating that. I'd have him back though as a happy Rene in 442 is a player i want in my team rather than to play against.
Last edited by SteveDeckchair on 30 Apr 2013, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

No worries Steve. :~D

(i'm not Australian either)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I'm in the, "if he goes camp I wont be that upset". Sure, he was our leading scorer, last time out, but as others have alluded too, his disciplinary record has not been great, since he has been with us.

He scored 16 FL2 goals, 4 of which were penalties and, I can think of at least one, where the 'keeper "threw" the ball into his own net (away at Cheltenham) after a soft RH shot. Oh, of course, there was the one at Wimbledon that came off his backside after the keeper tried to punt the ball clear. Admittedly it was an important goal as it secured the 3 points. If you remove the 4 penalties, from the equation, then our leading scorer hit the net 12 times, which included 7 league matches in a row. (One of those 7 was a penalty!)

I do think at times he appeared disintrested in the matches, and showed very little fight, up front. If that is a fitness thing then it needs to be addressed. I know its not quite the same, but watch Elliot Benyon throughout a game. He never stops running and constantly puts the oppo. under pressure.

Dont get me wrong. Without RH's goals we would not have survived the drop. For that we have to thank him, but I just feel that he could have done better, and certainly would have had more opportunities, for goals, had his disipline been improved.
Last edited by diamondgirl on 30 Apr 2013, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

There are players, and I'm talking about at the very top of the game (Dimitar Berbatov?) that appear to be lazy and disinterested. It's just their manner. Rene plays with the same swagger. And personally, I'd rather he wasn't expending all his energy chasing lost causes. His efforts were better spent being on the end of the very odd chance we did make. Being the one player in the team that had the faintest idea where the goal was, it was important his energies weren't wasted doing the donkey work that the rest of them should have been doing.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I've seen Rene pull some stonkers out of nowhere and that is what he is capable of and i do accept that Lings tactics for the most part crippled him as an attacking force so those goals he got were of even greater significance. My issue is that when things weren't going so well his work ethic dropped alarmingly and he just looked totally disinterested and i just can't have that. I take your point about Berbativ but i've seen Rene work his balls off for matches on end and so he is capable of doing it. If you aren't going to score a goal then fine but you need to help out your team mates and improve your work rate instead. He wasn't doing that and at the stage of the season where he had much more attacking accompaniment and we really needed everyone to a man giving everything he bottled it and got the mardys on. Pathetic. Thanks for the memories Rene but goodbye. Also if he goes it highlights our struggle from a striking perspective. You all know what i feel about Bodin so effectively we have Jarvis and Yeoman as strikers. Need some serious additions in the summer.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

I must say that I was impressed with the cool finish at chesterfield.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

If he had expended all his energy chasing lost causes, whilst we might have been able to compliment his 'work rate', it might have meant he wasn't in the right place at the right time to finish off the one chance we did happen to make. He was literally our only attacking force for much of the season, so having him tracking back to the half-way line constantly would have left us with even less of an attacking threat.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

According to Rene in today's online HE he isn't going to Argyle: "This is the first I've heard of this...there's been no contact from them."
Mind you he doesn't say he's not going somewhere else!
For me a 16 goal striker at this level -yes including penalties - is gold dust. That he's not under contract means he goes for free.
I'd rather he was playing for us than against and can we guarantee a replacement can match his goal return over his two seasons? Obviously not. Every team is looking to sign a proven goalscorer.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

We have to go all out to keep Rene as well as saah and downes.
Strikers of his quality don't grow on trees and with a now fit Benners they could make a highly effective strike force.
How many centre forwards have we had in the last 20 years with his level of ball control and power? on his day Rene could compete at Championship level. I hope he goes for stability and stays put.
A spine of Poke, Saah, Downes, Mansell and Howe with some quality support players could be a real force in League 2!
Tust member 191
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

sorry chaps but he scored 16 goals, alright maybe not as many as we would like but without those goals we would have been down, i for one hope he stays, i think had knilly been in charge all season he would have got 20 plus goals, rene spent most of the season chasing a lost cause up front on his own, give the guy a break, if he goes to a decent side in this league or higher he will get plenty, and i believe if he stays and the new manager plays the right way with good players around him you will see him flourish.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

What a desperate thread, Fonda makes a valid point about Rene's style it's because he's good at football so no surprise that bypasses many TUFC followers. Rene has a natural flair, a quality when in control of a football, is a good finisher and a top goalscorer at this level. If he got himself a bit fitter and was surrounded by better quality footballers he can do a job for anyone in L1 or 2 easily. 'He doesn't run around enough' is the English mentality to a tee and why we are abysmal at football on the world stage and plodders such as James Milner, Gareth Barry, Glen Johnson etc etc continually occupy spots in our national team. We cheer the player who miscontrols it, mispasses it then makes a flying sliding tackle and we groan at the player who won't tackle someone but is capable of providing the match winning moment.

We're going to lose our best technical player and our top goalscorer for free and only TUFC fans could see that as a good thing. Unbelievable.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Are the same clubs falling over themselves to sign a disciplinary timebomb primed at any given moment to explode during the 90+?

Some clubs will sit back and see whether his attitude improves under a different manager, be it at this club or another.

Attitude dude, attitude.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Completely agree with Nickbrod.

EVERY team in this league is looking for a striker that could happily notch 15 goals in a team that isn't actually all that creative. I think Howe could notch 25+ if he was in a decent attacking team that carried some threat down the flanks. I'm sure he knows he is the best player at the club and can easily earn more money going elsewhere. To be honest, I can't see many reasons why Howe would want to stay except to keep his family settled.

I'm fairly confident he will go and sign for a top League Two side with a few bob to spend.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...