Howe to the Gargs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
harbertongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: guy branston

Post by harbertongull »

Why would anyone want to go to a small club back from the brink of oblivion and which has finished below us in the league again?!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

No idea why but Rene seems to be blocking quite a few Plymouth fans on twitter =D
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Fonda wrote:There are players, and I'm talking about at the very top of the game (Dimitar Berbatov?) that appear to be lazy and disinterested. It's just their manner. Rene plays with the same swagger. And personally, I'd rather he wasn't expending all his energy chasing lost causes. His efforts were better spent being on the end of the very odd chance we did make. Being the one player in the team that had the faintest idea where the goal was, it was important his energies weren't wasted doing the donkey work that the rest of them should have been doing.
Agreed, the best footballer in the squad, we were able to make the best of his abilities.
TUST number 080
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Were Rene to leave, just up the road Jamie Cureton could be available. Exeter boss Tisdale has said that due to financial constraints next season he would have to let his top scorer move on if he was offered a better deal.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Bristol Rovers
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Doubt we could afford to better his wages there,and even if we could,not sure he's what we need.
Would say last season was his swansong and unlikely to score anything like as many goals next season.
Might go to Rovers perhaps?
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Shall we try to hold on to our best player, a guy that scored 16 goals in a relegation-threatened team? Tough call. ;-)

With a new manager, a settled midfield and a strike partner, I'd back him to succeed again. It is so clear to see that he is a confidence player. It's no wonder the goals dried up when squad morale left town.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Matt
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Matt »

I find it hard to believe that people are so apathetic to Howe leaving. Yes, he has a poor disciplinary record, but realistically which strikers that we've had in the past few years are of the same level technically?

Also, if he were to leave, and by some miracle our new manager (whoever he may be) possesses some unprecedented powers of persuasion and convinces a top striker to join us, that striker is going to need bedding in time. All it would take would be for said quality striker to pick up a niggle in pre-season and get to the big kick off lacking both fitness and cohesion. I am aware Howe misses the first 2 games of next season anyway but I don't see why we aren't aiming to keep him AND bring somebody else (other than Benyon) in.

Howe is a good player and, disciplinary issues aside, most teams in this league would take him if offered, so why would we give him away. At the very least, think of how many penalties we would miss if he left...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think the majority would love Howe to stay. Those that don't are probably miserable northern terwatts who don't recognise a good player when they see one.....................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Fonda wrote:He was playing up-front in a team that didn't make any chances. How many should he have scored exactly?
Did you mean me?

If so, I would expect a little more than 1 every 10 from open play.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:I think the majority would love Howe to stay. Those that don't are probably miserable northern terwatts who don't recognise a good player when they see one.....................
Or French :scarf:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I think the majority would love Howe to stay. Those that don't are probably miserable northern terwatts who don't recognise a good player when they see one.....................

:clap: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, i'd love Howe to stay providing he offers more than goals. I know i'll be ridiculed for saying that as he was in a struggling side and still managed that amount but if he doesn't score i would like him quite simply to do what he was doing before Christmas. That was trying to close down play around him ( i don't mean chasing opponents around the pitch like a headless chicken just for the sake of it and knackering himself out as some one suggested that is what i meant, honestly, some people! ). It doesn't take a lot out of a player to press the play around him and put pressure on opponents and that is what he was doing so effectively for the first part of the season and it showed. To play Rene and say do what you want, go and read a newspaper on the halfway line so long as you score now and again is crazy and not ok in my book. Whilst Downsey is sweating blood and getting his body blown apart blocking shots here there and everywhere and others are rolling their sleeves up when the chips are down, Rene saunters around oblivious to the plight, he cannot be allowed to get away with that i'm sorry. If he is prepared to give TUFC the right attitude every game then i have no problems with him being here next season but i just can't forget the extra workload and stress he lumped on his team-mates by his disciplinary issues and laziness these last 10 games or so. It's just not fair. Am i making sense?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

Gargs must be deseprate, after reading Rene's tweet they are now talking about Benyon being on a free soon. :lol: :lol:

Stay away you bloody slime! :@ :@

I wonder if Rene dares to lurk these forums? If so PLEASE STAY RENE!!! :bow: :bow:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Am i making sense?
Do you ever? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Plymgull wrote:Gargs must be deseprate, after reading Rene's tweet they are now talking about Benyon being on a free soon. :lol: :lol:

Stay away you bloody slime! :@
Shows how desperate they are, trying to nick players from us! Oh how the mighty have fallen. he he.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.