Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

^^ That is not an observation, it is a question! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No I watched Kitchener and Bond. What a pair of full backs they were.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

I see that latest South Devon posting quotes Rene having received a revised offer from the club. His Twitter quoted him as saying "It's up to the club now to make me an offer I can't refuse - within reason". Well you now have an improved offer with a stable club whose house is in order and with investments in training infrastructure and development that will well place the club in the future - plus it's a lovely part of the country to bring up your daughter. If that's not an incentive, I don't know what is. I must say I get a bit fed up with all this from players - bright lights big city.

The reality is Rene's career was stalling before he came to Torquay United and now that he's had a good season, all of a sudden he seems to think he's a great player. Don't get me wrong with the limited playing career of players I understand you have to get the best deal possible but I also understood he had an offer on the table at Christmas and with the news now that he's had a revised offer on the table he still appears to be playing silly buggers. The reality is if he wanted to be here then he would sign/have signed. Clearly he doesn't so let him move on.

I'd give him a timetable to make a decision and if he elects to move elsewhere then so be it, at least we can start early at building our attacking line-up for the new season as opposed to waiting an hoping a player is going to sign. The chances are he'll have a reasonable season next year and then be back looking gratefully for whatever deal he can get the year after. Quite likely in League 2.

Does Torquay United need Rene Howe that much? - I don't think so personally.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

agree with that tauntongull.

i mean we did actually manage to score without him in the team.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

If you were looking to improve the team, you wouldn't start with Rene. However, if he doesn't want to stay then it won't be a disaster but we will need to find someone to be the focal point of our attack.
TUST number 080
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Lloyder5 wrote:If you were looking to improve the team, you wouldn't start with Rene. However, if he doesn't want to stay then it won't be a disaster but we will need to find someone to be the focal point of our attack.
Clever
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Now, I like Rene as much as the next man and a happy Howe getting stuck in is unplayable.

However, it is clear he is looking for a better deal, so I hope we don't waste too much time on getting him to sign. This would delay us getting an alternative in and while I am sure the groundwork is being done, there is no way we can make an offer on someone until we know the outcome of the Rene offer.

Is Benyon being kept waiting for example?

Out of interest though, if you read other team's forums, there aren't many fans saying they wouldn't want him in their team. Kind of shows how big a player he is for this league and says to me that he will be going to one of the big teams with a big budget.

Give him a week to sign and then lets move on. As stated by other posters, we are not a one man team any more (under Knill) and I am not as fearful losing him as I would have been in January.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

so we wouldnt get a penny for rene, hey that almost rhymes!!
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote:so we wouldnt get a penny for rene, hey that almost rhymes!!
no, that is a shocker.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

According to the some journalist on twitter (https://x.com/gchase1), Knilly is at the Man Utd v Liverpool U21s game, no doubt watching one of Liverpool's many England U21 internationals.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I also see sir alex is there, Knill is clearly there just to ask him to be his assistant? :)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

According to todays Herald Express Knill is in advanced talks with Saah and Downes re new contracts but most of the other players are on holiday so contract negotiations are on hold until they return.
Also says Knill will be using his contacts with Moyes and the Man U coaching staff to try and bring in one of their under 21's on loan.
Latest Howe rumour is linking him with Hibs!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Moyes doesn't start until 1st July so I can't see that happening until mid-July at the earliest. Sounds good if he has contacts with Moyes though, there's always good talents coming through United's youth squads. I wouldn't mind seeing another Nicky Ajose down our way.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

He'll already have a good idea of the Everton youth players. Let's keep our fingers crossed for some interesting additions.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Interesting to note it also said he had gone for Tom Lawrence from United who would've have seen us play in a totally different way. He's a more attacking minded midfielder with decent dribbling ability and decent passing.

I do like the Bergkamp style turn on this goal:

Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"