The Gaming Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Heard that the new PS4 has been more geared towards multiplayer / online player thingy things where you play against other players from outer mongolia called piddapodda and where if you wish to just bang a game on and enjoy your own company you will be frowned upon. Somehow i don't think i'll be buying it Sony. Not all of us wish to play with others, some of us are as anti social as gamers as we are in the real world so sort it!

Might consider getting new Xbox console for a change, anyone have one and what's it like?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

It seems like all gaming is heading to that online format though Andy, and I do find it a shame too. I prefer to immerse myself in a slick game with some decent plot points rather than argue with a Liverpudlian 13-year-old on how he would 'smash' me...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

My favourite ever game is without a doubt The Elder Scrolls Morrowind. I played that game far too much back in 2003 to about 2006.

I've bought every Championship manager game from 00/01 to Football Manager 13. I took our beloved Torquay to the premiership on CM 01/02 and have never been able to achieve that in any game since. I'm not very good.

Couple of games i am looking forward to this year are, GTA V,Total war Rome 2 and Europa Universalis IV. :-D :bow:
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Plymgull wrote:My favourite ever game is without a doubt The Elder Scrolls Morrowind. I played that game far too much back in 2003 to about 2006.

I've bought every Championship manager game from 00/01 to Football Manager 13. I took our beloved Torquay to the premiership on CM 01/02 and have never been able to achieve that in any game since. I'm not very good.

Couple of games i am looking forward to this year are, GTA V,Total war Rome 2 and Europa Universalis IV. :-D :bow:
Yeah, the games have definitely got harder, but I find them all the more engrossing for it. Also, YES!!! My most anticipated game for a long time!!

Does anybody do much PC gaming? I've always been PC for RTS and Championship/Football Manager, as well as the AMAZING DayZ (if you haven't played it, why not?), but now I've decided I'm gonna do away with consoles altogether, as they're becoming ridiculously overpriced, and PC games are a tenner cheaper on release, too. I want to get FIFA 13 for the PC, but I've heard that sometimes the PC version is just a rehash of former games with new squads. I HATED FIFA 12 (AI for runs was ridiculous) but loved 13, so don't wanna take this chance, anyone know if the game is updated or just a rehash of 12? :)
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

madgull wrote: Yeah, the games have definitely got harder, but I find them all the more engrossing for it. Also, YES!!! My most anticipated game for a long time!!

Does anybody do much PC gaming? I've always been PC for RTS and Championship/Football Manager, as well as the AMAZING DayZ (if you haven't played it, why not?), but now I've decided I'm gonna do away with consoles altogether, as they're becoming ridiculously overpriced, and PC games are a tenner cheaper on release, too. I want to get FIFA 13 for the PC, but I've heard that sometimes the PC version is just a rehash of former games with new squads. I HATED FIFA 12 (AI for runs was ridiculous) but loved 13, so don't wanna take this chance, anyone know if the game is updated or just a rehash of 12? :)
I don't do any PC gaming yet, but set myself a small challenge to do over a week or 2 and build my own gaming PC, want to mainly play Arma 3, might give Day Z a go as well as it looks quite fun.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

Did you lot see the release of some details for the next xbox?

The main headline is that the new console will need to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours or it won't function properly. Not a fan.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I have downloaded emulators for my phone and tablet and happily play all the old zx spectrum, gba and arcade classics.

Favorites at the moment are Manic Miner, New Zealand Story, Donkey Kong (the 80's original of course), Bubble Bobble.

There are also some excellent games on native android, such as Granny Smith, Arse Droids, Bike Race.

Not sure why you'd spend 40 quid on a generic formulaic game anyway.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

SteveDeckchair wrote:I have downloaded emulators for my phone and tablet and happily play all the old zx spectrum, gba and arcade classics.

Favorites at the moment are Manic Miner, New Zealand Story, Donkey Kong (the 80's original of course), Bubble Bobble.
There are also some excellent games on native android, such as Granny Smith, Arse Droids, Bike Race.

Not sure why you'd spend 40 quid on a generic formulaic game anyway.
Absolutely legendary these games Steve, and Jet Set Willy, Horace Goes Skiing, Saboteur, Paperboy was the dogs, Bombjack, Renegade, Out Run, and I could go on. Superb! :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Oh, nearly forgot. R-Type as well.

I use my Wii remote but you can use an Xbox controller if you have one.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

This will be waiting for me when I get home! Can't bloody wait...

http://uk.ign.com/games/the-last-of-us/ps3-123980
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

madgull wrote:Does anybody do much PC gaming?
Yep. Been playing something called Planetside since it was in beta over 10 years ago :whistle: Not enjoying Planetside 2 as much though.
Before that, the likes of Half Life & Team Fortress occupied my time. I even had an ISDN line installed to get a better ping (thats before ADSL was around, just for the youngsters out there...)
Before that lot it goes right back to the likes of Doom and Falcon 3 (on the network at work) as online play wasnt really viable till modem speeds reached 28.8k.
Even earlier, used to play something called Shades that was on Prestel (before the days of the internet folks!!!!)
Last edited by Sunnysideup on 14 Jun 2013, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I used to play Counterstrike semi-professionally when I was younger, before 8 hours a day studying maps got a bit too much. The pay was nice though!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

stevegull wrote:Did you lot see the release of some details for the next xbox?

The main headline is that the new console will need to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours or it won't function properly. Not a fan.
They've done a bit of a u-turn on this now. They got some really bad press and changed their minds. They're also allowing to you to resell, lend, give away your games (previously you werent going to be able to), and aren't making the games region-locked. so much like PS4, then.

I already knew I was getting a PS4 (mainly because I want to play InFamous: Second Sun) but it is interesting how badly some of the Xbox policies were received.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

A good game for Pool-lovers... but not many others: http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/GAM ... story.html

Also, I've heard some excellent things about 'The last of us'. Have any of you had the good fortune to play it? What do you think?

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/GAM ... story.html
Canadagull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Canadagull »

Probably not surprising but hasn't been mentioned yet but the only game I play regularly is Football Manager 13 for the Mac via Steam download. I have followed this game since it was Championship manager. I don't go straight for the Premier league teams as I like a challenge and pick the only team worth playing haha. Plus it means Ling gets the sack from the start of the year! I did stop playing for a while and played Mafia and was thrilled to play Mafia 2 when it was finally released. Other than that I have a life and go outside and fish, mountain bike and run! :lol: