how to get the fans going

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Chesterfield has a population of 103,000 yet the club regularly gets 4000 plus crowds when it is less than 10 miles from Sheffield ( which has 2 large clubs ), less than 20 miles or so from Derby and Nottingham which have another 2 large clubs plus a smaller club and Mansfield is less than 10 miles away as is Alfreton Town. Chesterfield is hardly flush with money and jobs ( as most areas aren't not just Torbay ) so how can they get nearly 5000 for a home game and we get 2000?

I agree with Matt, total apathy and disinterest is the main reason why people won't come to Plainmoor and not pricing. Demographics also has a part to play as there is a higher proportion of retired folk in Devon plus people who have moved down who may support other clubs but i just think people don't give a sh*t anymore.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It may be a community issue too, do you that live in Torquay feel part of a community that is together or is the town so fragmented with migrants, outsiders and the like that it has a real impact? Torquay doesn't sound like a community club from all the evidence i'm hearing on this forum of late.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

austrianandygull wrote:It may be a community issue too, do you that live in Torquay feel part of a community that is together or is the town so fragmented with migrants, outsiders and the like that it has a real impact? Torquay doesn't sound like a community club from all the evidence i'm hearing on this forum of late.
Torquay doesn't really have a sense of identity due to the constant flow of people away from the area. I've lived here all my life and I don't have a Devonian accent as there are so few locals around.

People from Exeter or Plymouth generally sound like it (just listen to Shaun Taylor) but Torquinians rarely do.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

pre-match we should play this song over the tannoy and get gilbert the gull to do the dance. that, will get the fans going.

[youtube]2WNrx2jq184[/youtube]

yes, i am bored, its june, no football (confed cup doesn't count), im starting to lose it. would love to see gilbert do that though.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

One way to get young people going is to stop making home shirts that are embarrassing to wear around your friends. :devil: :devil: :whistle:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Plymgull wrote:One way to get young people going is to stop making home shirts that are embarrassing to wear around your friends. :devil: :devil: :whistle:

:goodpost: :clap: :lol: :bow:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

We really need to stop wearing Yellow then...
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

And stop playing home winter league games on the same night as Champions League on ITV.......................When will the Div 1 and Div 2 Chairman or Chairwoman fight to get this changed ?????
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

to many people from outside of the area , poor wages, to much premier league shite on telly, if you live in bradford or places like it what else is there to do but watch football here there ar other things to do, its a nice part of the world and if the weather is fine people want to go and do other things,
my two sons both work locally and support torquay but find it hard with mortgages, cars to run etc, they both try to get to games if they can afford it, but are lucky if they can get to a ten home games each season, i think that footie on tv has killed it, if you go back to when i started going in the sixties other than match of the day there was no other matches on tv, i remember getting the football special buses from newton abbot on match days, always one double decker full up sometimes two, in the heady days of 6,000 plus gates, i really dont know what the answer is.
to me it seems the way of the world these days, its not just football that has suffered.
i can only say to you younger guys on the forum that if you have young kids you need to get them along to plainmoor as i did with my sons, they were hooked from the start. :scarf:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

cambgull wrote:We really need to stop wearing Yellow then...

ooooooohhh, that was a low blow. :-o

blasphemy and sacrilege that is, i say blasphemy and sacrilege. you wanna' wash your mouth out with soap and water. :no:

STOP WEARING YELLOW!!! i wont hear of such a thing. never 'eard nothing like it in 'me life. bloomin' cheek. :slap:

im not stopping here to hear such things.

gooood day sir.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

A lot of people seem to be dabbling in the dark art of necromancy at the minute...gotta hate summer!!! :B
FishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Post by FishGull »

ooooooohhh, that was a low blow.

blasphemy and sacrilege that is, i say blasphemy and sacrilege. you wanna' wash your mouth out with soap and water.

STOP WEARING YELLOW!!! i wont hear of such a thing. never 'eard nothing like it in 'me life. bloomin' cheek.

gooood day sir.
:goodpost:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

chunkygull wrote:
ooooooohhh, that was a low blow. :-o

blasphemy and sacrilege that is, i say blasphemy and sacrilege. you wanna' wash your mouth out with soap and water. :no:

STOP WEARING YELLOW!!! i wont hear of such a thing. never 'eard nothing like it in 'me life. bloomin' cheek. :slap:

gooood day sir.
Well it's not really a colour to be wearing down the pub with your manly mates is it? And if you're a youngster, no old dear that you're trying to mug on a street corner is going to take you seriously.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
eastdevonjack1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: rene howe

Post by eastdevonjack1 »

I agree that times are hard economically for lots of people. A previous comment said it was hard as lots of people coming into the area including people from abroad so some people feeling a lack of community within the area. Could the different communities within the torbay area be harnessed to achieve positive things for the community and TUFC. For example is there a polish/Asian etc community magazine where TUFC could maybe place an article for example monthly about TUFC and all the things they do. I'm sure this could be easily translated into the said language. Hopefully this would be positive in terms of encouraging members of the wider community to come along to plainmoor thus improving attendances and community links.