Ian Morris

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

I'm quite stunned Ian Morris has found a bigger League Two club willing to give him a 2 year contact after last season's injury. Good luck to him!

He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and certainly doesn't fit the pacy winger preference we hear Knill has. For central midfield, Morris may well have been seen as a similar option to Nathan Craig, with age, expense and injuries counting against him.

Our depleted squad has plenty of industry with the likes of Downes, Mansell and Lathrope, but very little technical ability in possession from front to back after the departures of Saah, Morris and Howe.

Here's hoping Knill isn't being too speculative with his targets and can sign the players we desperately need. The players signed over the next two weeks or so will define the coming season - no pressure!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fnda - Realistically we would never have got a fee for Morris because he is worth precisely bugger all. I do agree that in general we are seen off by all and sundry as far as transfer dealings are concerned but on this occasion? - the chances of Morris getting another contract in six months time were slim at best. Remember he was fit at the end of last season and Knill hardly use him at all.
In all fairness to Morris after being crocked all last season this must be a dream move for him - be churlish to stand in his way.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am not worried- I mean when Manset,Robertson, Benyon,Mozika,Labadie and Chappell and co rock up on our doorstep we won't be bemoaning the loss of Morris and Jarvis will we.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

brucie wrote:I am not worried- I mean when Manset,Robertson, Benyon,Mozika,Labadie and Chappell and co rock up on our doorstep we won't be bemoaning the loss of Morris and Jarvis will we.
Followed by promotion to the promise land and Torquay being voted city of culture 2014.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Saddened to hear this but not overly surprised. AK obviously intended to rid himself of one of the midfield four (yes I do believe that Morris and Craig are central midfielders) when he included a centre-mid on his wanted list.
I like Morris as a player but I don't think we ever really saw the best of him in a yellow shirt and I am surprised that is is Northampton who have signed him, maybe they want to make some effort to live up to their AC tag a little more!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Not bothered by this, didn't really hit it with us. Just thinking yet another player to get is worrying though.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Who is Ian Morris?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Torquay and Morris never hit it off so this is fine with me.
I am sure the Cobblers believe they are getting a world beater but every time I saw him play he never showed anything more than average. He has also yet to fully show he has recovered to fitness so this is a massive risk on their part. Perhaps Boothroyd got him confused with Eunan the season before last!

Just hope for some incoming player news soon as I am getting a little concerned at present!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Pretty good news for both parties. He never really got settled in one postion here, and to this day I have no idea where his best psoition is.

Fonda, what sort of fee were you expecting for a 26 year old with 6 months left on his contract that missed the last season with injury and isn't a first choice? Getting him off the wage bill will allow us to bring in someone else.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gulliball wrote:Pretty good news for both parties. He never really got settled in one postion here, and to this day I have no idea where his best psoition is.

Fonda, what sort of fee were you expecting for a 26 year old with 6 months left on his contract that missed the last season with injury and isn't a first choice? Getting him off the wage bill will allow us to bring in someone else.
Precisely, getting him off the wage bill without having to pay up his contract, it's wins all the way round.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

PhilGull wrote: Precisely, getting him off the wage bill without having to pay up his contract, it's wins all the way round.
Exactly.

To be honest, when I first clicked on this post my first thought was that it was probably about us having reached a settlement with Morris on the remainder of his 6 month contract, as I just don't see him as a Knill type of player.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

If we assume (as most are doing), that Knill wanted rid, then of course it's sensible to get him off the wage bill and no fee would be expected. I was looking at it from the other perspective - that perhaps Knill did want him around, and might not have wanted him to leave.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A fly on the wall insight into the conversation between Knill and Morris:

(PHONE RINGS)

KNILL: “Hello?”
MORRIS: “Boss – it’s Ian here”
KNILL: “Who?”
MORRIS: “Ian.....Morro....you know, Torquay midfielder/winger
KNILL: “Sorry – I am not sure who......”
MORRIS: “You know, dodgy leg, no real position or pace”
KNILL: “Ian! – of-course, how are you?”
MORRIS: “Gaffa, listen, I have had an offer I just cannot turn down, I am really sorry but I have to ask whether you can let me go. The Cobblers have offered me two years and I am really excited about it and them, it seems like the next stepping stone for me to develop my career and.....”
KNILL: “Is it April in Ireland or something???”
MORRIS: “What? Ummm, no boss. Listen, please could I have the chance to do this. I plead with you, I just.....”
KNILL: “Listen, I will not stand in the way Ian. You have to follow your gut on this and it sounds as if has already made been made the decision in your heart and in no way would I want to stand in the way of that. All the very best son, and thank you for all your efforts in a Torquay shirt.
MORRIS: “Thanks gaffa, you’re a legend. Talk Soon.
KNILL: Bye Ian.

(PHONE IS HUNG-UP)
(PHONE IS PICKED UP IMMEDIATELY AND DIALLED)

KNILL: “Hello, can I talk to Damien Mozika please”
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Shame, as Morro showed he could be decent. However, recovering from a big injury so might not be up to scratch. Bearing in mind he played at the top of l1, probably wasn't cheap so makes a nice hole in the budget we can fill
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just posting to thank Ian for his service to the Gulls. I think some of what has been posted about him is a little harsh, he struggled with injuries and for form but he stuck out in my mind on a couple of occasions when appearing for us because he was the only player on the pitch trying to gee up the others and the crowd with hand and arm gestures other than Mansell. He didn't fulfil his potential here but no doubt has some and i hope it works out for him at Sixfields. I can't for the life of me see how he is going to fit in to a direct, overtly physical side like Cobblers but he's gone now so i thank him generously for all his efforts and wish him all the best.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.