Departures

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Fair points supergulls and if we re-signed him then i'd be happy with it and Knill just wants to get a decent team together and like you say, with Bri he knows what he's getting. I personally, being stubborn would probably do myself no favours if I was manager by rebuffing any overtures from Saah to return but that is the way I feel about the situation. I'm not saying other people are wrong to want to give Saah another chance just that I wouldn't feel comfortable with it firstly knowing he wanted to leave in the first place and then trying to save his skin if you like by asking to come back if he couldn't get fixed up elsewhere.
I agree with you completely Andy, if somebody thinks the grass is greener then they can leave in my opinion but I honestly don't think that on last years performances there's a lot better out there who is prepared to travel down to the south west.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yep Fonda, Brian has told us he wants to leave to improve his own personal circumstances, I've not a problem with that like I said and if Knill wanted to re-sign him then I've no problem with that either. I wouldn't accept this as a manager due to him having made a decision that didn't involve TUFC but as a fan if he was forced upon me to return then i'd be fine with it.

I take your point that we aren't ANYBODYS first choice though! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Love that youtube video, would be great for us to get a good run in the FA cup this year
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Not a departure from this season, but Matt Green has signed for Birmingham!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23132307

Didn't see that coming, good luck to him!
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

It's the same with Carayol at Boro... doesn't sound right! But good luck to them.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Both treated badly and under-valued by a previous manager. Both needed the 'arm-round-the-shoulder' treatment, instead got the 'cold-shoulder' treatment. Good luck to them.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I posted earlier in the year, I could not understand why Buckle let Green go who I recall scored a wonder goal against Forest Green (!). This was the winner in a match Tim Sills excelled as a goalkeeper!!
On the subject of keepers Ashley Bayes transferred from Basingstoke Town to AFC Wimbledon as player/keeper coach.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I don't think the Green issue was entirely one-sided. I seem to remember at the time there was a lot of talk of the player being a bit of a prima-donna with a bad attitude.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Rivo_7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rivo_7 »

With regards to Brian Saah I would welcome him back with open arms!!

I may be mistaken but a couple of years ago did we not release Chris Robertson only to re-sign him a couple of weeks later when we couldnt sign anyone better, same thing in my eyes!!!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

PhilGull wrote:I don't think the Green issue was entirely one-sided. I seem to remember at the time there was a lot of talk of the player being a bit of a prima-donna with a bad attitude.
Buckle was very popular amongst many of our supporters. Who knows how accurate those criticisms were.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Green had plenty of opportunites when here but he failed to grasp them, at times and it was few and far between he looked very good (Blackpool in the cup) springs to mind, but he missed bucketloads of chances when he was in the side for a sustained period around that time.

I am stunned he is going to Birmingham and that is one hell of a step up, one I severely doubt he'll manage. He's done very well at Conference level but so did Stuart Fleetwood and Andy Mangan and after failed moves to higher opposition they find themselves back there.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

To be fair no one could have forseen what Carayol did in those last few months he was here, in his fleeting appearances he looked pacy, direct but clueless in the final 3rd. Was on loan at Kettering that year and wasn't a regular starter for them before he got injured and back here. He played through neccesity due to injuries in those last few months and after that he was like a completely new player. Fair play to him and Green for getting these moves and obviously improving drastically in the last few years.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Gulliball wrote:Leadbitter is currently at Hereford, no idea about the others. Would be surprised to see many stay in the league.
Where did you get that from Gulliball? Had a quick look on the web and couldn't find anything about him, Stevens or Easton being on trial (although I'm not doubting you).
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

Rivo_7 wrote:With regards to Brian Saah I would welcome him back with open arms!!

I may be mistaken but a couple of years ago did we not release Chris Robertson only to re-sign him a couple of weeks later when we couldnt sign anyone better, same thing in my eyes!!!
I think Robbo came from the fact he wouldn't sign a new contract, so Buckle transfer listed him, but I think it was all resolved by the start of the season.

Page last updated at 08:05 GMT, Wednesday, 11 June 2008 09:05 UK
Torquay United defender Chris Robertson and goalkeeper Simon Rayner have been told they can leave the Plainmoor club.

But 21-year-old defender Robertson, who started 28 games for the Gulls last season, will not be allowed to leave without a fee by boss Paul Buckle.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

DTUFC wrote: Where did you get that from Gulliball? Had a quick look on the web and couldn't find anything about him, Stevens or Easton being on trial (although I'm not doubting you).
It came from a Hereford fan. He's training with them and appears set to sign for them.

Robertson wanted to move up North a year or two before he left. He was the last one to sign a new deal, but no better offer came so he stayed.

If Saah doesn't get fixed up elsewhere then I would welcome him back. Both the clubs and the players are looking for the best deal they can get, which is perfectly fair on both sides. If it doesn't work out as he intended, then he's a very good L2 centre back, and unless Knill has someone else in mind, would be a good signing.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats