Player to bring in (suggestions)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Boredom at work has led me to peruse the PFA transfer list for some centre-halves. How about one of this lot for us?

John Johnson - ex of Northampton
Reece Brown - ex Man Utd trainee
Chris Hogg - ex of Hibs/Caley Thistle
Miguel Comminges - ex of Stevenage
Mark Hughes - former Everton trainee last at Bury
Leon Johnson - ex Wycombe
Simon Ford - been around, mostly at Kilmarnock/Chesterfield
Mat Mitchel-King - last seen at AFCW
Nathan Stanton - northener
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Mark Hughes seems good, tall at 6"4 and Knilly will be able to use his Bury contacts to find out about him..
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Hughes or Reece Brown would both do us well.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Rivo_7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rivo_7 »

John Johnson is the one I had just spotted, can play CB or RB and has 4 full seasons at this level under his belt, still only 24!
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

Jordan Robertson has been released from Yeovil for Fitness reasons. This may be a good thing for us, if we can spend the time to get him fit we may have a great player on our hands. Pre season will do him the world of good with us, hope he comes on trial with us.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

exiledgull wrote:Jordan Robertson has been released from Yeovil for Fitness reasons. This may be a good thing for us, if we can spend the time to get him fit we may have a great player on our hands. Pre season will do him the world of good with us, hope he comes on trial with us.
Yes, I see this is what Gary Johnson had to say about him ...

“Unfortunately Jordan would have taken us a little while to get him anywhere near a level of fitness for us. Again, we haven’t got that time. I’ve got to have 20 people ready to play in the first team.

Albeit Johnson is looking at putting together a side fit for the Championship, it would suggest that Robertson is a long way off the fitness levels required for the pro game, which is understandable given that he missed the whole of last season through injury and indeed given that he is now 25 he has really not played much football at all in his career to date.... less than 60 starts and still short of 100 appearances in all competitions ... the sort of numbers which some kids barely out of their teens can very often attain.

Sounds like he has a lot of catching up to do! Perhaps AK can be the man to get him back to where he once was ....
Last edited by CP Gull on 03 Jul 2013, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

No harm in a trial and a few pre season friendlies.
It's not like we have too many strikers on our books is it!

I don't know anything about John Johnson but seems to fit the bill.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

exiledgull wrote:Jordan Robertson has been released from Yeovil for Fitness reasons. This may be a good thing for us, if we can spend the time to get him fit we may have a great player on our hands. Pre season will do him the world of good with us, hope he comes on trial with us.
Given his lack of football in the last 12 months I think we will be needing another striker too. Maybe an invitation to train with us for a month or two, prove some fitness with the offer of a contract to the end of the season at a later date.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

exiledgull wrote:I don't know anything about John Johnson but seems to fit the bill.

Former Boro player, I believe. Don't thinks he's adequate for a CB role, certainly not for 1st choice.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Still think Robertson is a viable option. Gary Johnson is in the enviable position of having a high-performing, settled squad - he doesn't need passengers. We, on the other hand and despite what people think, are a small club who sometimes have to take a gamble. Sometimes its a young untried player, sometimes a foreigner, sometimes a player with an injury record. Picking up players with less than 100% fitness didn't work out too badly with Jason Fowler, Steve Woods, Brian McGlinchey to name a few

Robertson has got class, so I say get him in and give him a trial. The only way he'll get fit is with regular full time training, so if he can show off his ability it could be a gamble worth taking.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Definitely have a look at him. From what Gary Johnson says it doesn't sound like he's going to be playing a professional game soon but he definitely has the ability to be at least League Two. And as Jeff says, these are the types of players we tend to have to 'take a gamble' on. People forget that Rene Howe had a fairly bad reputation before joining us. Brizzle fans loved to see the back of him and he never scored as regularly for anyone else as he did for us. Give Jordan Robertson a go, turn his career around, notch a few goals, move to a bigger team.. DONE.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

stevegull wrote:Definitely have a look at him. From what Gary Johnson says it doesn't sound like he's going to be playing a professional game soon but he definitely has the ability to be at least League Two. And as Jeff says, these are the types of players we tend to have to 'take a gamble' on. People forget that Rene Howe had a fairly bad reputation before joining us. Brizzle fans loved to see the back of him and he never scored as regularly for anyone else as he did for us. Give Jordan Robertson a go, turn his career around, notch a few goals, move to a bigger team.. DONE.
On a free transfer :devil:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

How about former Newcastle trainee Aaron Spear as a striker from overseas? Born in Plymouth, currently playing for ÍB Vestmannaeyja in Iceland with a contract until October this year.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Lukeyboy WFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Lukeyboy WFC »

Richard Taundry ...George Bowerman? ;-)
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Don't know much about Bowerman but Taundry I'd like to see. I know he mainly played at right or left back but can he play in centre mid too?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"