Player to bring in (suggestions)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Warwick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Sills

Post by Warwick »

Yes agree, a nice bloke aswell. Met him at Nuffield Hospital Oxford last year, not sure what injury he had! We know he is big buddies with Benyon and they play well together so it makes sence!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Think Rendell has more ability than people give him credit for. Has a very good first touch and wins his fair share of headers. Sometimes lacks mobility but works hard.

If he can recapture the form he showed at the end of his last spell with us I think he would be a good signing. If the key word there, I think.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I'd be fairly pleased to see Scott back at Plainmoor. As has already been said, he and Benyon worked well together. He's a grafter - that's what I liked about him. I don't think he had a particularly happy time at Luton and judging from the Yeovil friendly thread, he didn't play well tonight. However, I suspect that could be more down to match fitness than anything else. With two good wingers and Billy Bodin playing to his full potential, I'm just beginning to feel positive about the coming season. Even if he's offered just a three month 'prove yourself' contract, it would be worth the gamble, eh?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote:I'd be fairly pleased to see Scott back at Plainmoor. As has already been said, he and Benyon worked well together. He's a grafter - that's what I liked about him. I don't think he had a particularly happy time at Luton and judging from the Yeovil friendly thread, he didn't play well tonight. However, I suspect that could be more down to match fitness than anything else. With two good wingers and Billy Bodin playing to his full potential, I'm just beginning to feel positive about the coming season. Even if he's offered just a three month 'prove yourself' contract, it would be worth the gamble, eh?
He's still got a year left on his deal at Luton, so I doubt he's be too interested in a 3 month contract.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ah yes - good point. I thought he'd been released but I see he's on Luton's transfer list. Hmm ..... rethink. What about a loan signing with a view to a contract if he does the business ?
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Knill did say that he was looking to bring a striker in on loan as well as one on a permanent basis..

EDIT: never mind, he said it was from a higher division
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

2 higher, to be precise...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:2 higher, to be precise...

Matt.
Thank God Steve Fletcher's retired!!

I guess this will be Jayden Stockley then?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Don't really rate Rendell. If he was to come in it'd be the least inspiring signing by a long shot.
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

Stockley rumour seems to be a constant recently, with Yeoman/Benyon/Stockley wouldn't be too bad just with those. Anyone else would be a bonus.

Re: Rendell lets see what he's like in the next few pre season games if he's not up to standard then he goes back to Luton. Just the same with Cooper, however with cooper able to cover centre half and right back, this may put him at the forefront for a new contract.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The Steve Tully rumours can also be put to bed as he has joined Salisbury. Bullet dodged in my opinion.
Warwick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Sills

Post by Warwick »

If Rendell came in as 3rd/4th choice striker competing with Yeoman I would see it as a great signing to be honest. When you consider what we had in back up striking options under Ling, he's a much better player than Atinio. He also needs time to get match fit, and hopefully he will improve with games just as Benyon did when he returned.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Not sure whether there was ever anything in it, or not, but I think we can probably put the Mathieu Manset rumour to bed now as by all accounts he has indeed joined up with Coventry City (as suggested by some on here) in the last couple of days, on their tour of Holland. Not exactly sure how they will be able to offer him anything though ... given that they are still in administration and under a transfer embargo and likely to be for some time it seems.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Not sure why many people are still talking in terms of "Howe's replacememt" or comparing every potential new signing to Howe. The team will play differently this season, different style, different tactics. We will not rely on a lone striker in Howe's mould. Whoever our new striker is, he is not Howe's replacement, he is a new player who will fit in with Knill's new team.

Hopefully he will be a striker who can score goals regularly throughout the season (not just for half of it) and not be booked or sent off every game (whoops, fell into my own trap of comparing to Howe).
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Like it or lump it Rendell is a tall striker so as such would be a replacement for Howe. He may not be the same type of player but he still is to a certain extent a like for like player. However Rendell isn't as quick,skilful,strong or as good in the air as Howe. If he has been transfer listed by a conference club I am not sure why he is good enough for us.
Don't know much about the other triallist but I think he has gone from Bournemouth to Crawley to Portsmouth on loan. Not sure that he is the answer either.