Two new Trialists - Cooper/Rendell

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Two new Trialists - Cooper/Rendell

Post by exiledgull »

Shaun Cooper ex Bournmouth centre half is on trial

Scott Rendell is too - don't think I have to explain him.

Happy with this competition in the team.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Great to see Rendell back. Mentioned him as a possibility last week. Would be very happy see him back here permanently. Don't know much about Cooper but fingers crossed he gives a good account of himself too.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fonda wrote:Great to see Rendell back. Mentioned him as a possibility last week. Would be very happy see him back here permanently. Don't know much about Cooper but fingers crossed he gives a good account of himself too.
Same goes for me, and also about Cooper.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Great calibre of trialist! Hopefully they are good enough and interested enough for us
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/sh ... mouth-fans

View from Bournemouth fan(s) on him.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Yes please to both!

I have seen Rendell a couple of times for Luton (families, who'd have 'em?), and he still looks a useful centre forward.

Cooper fits the Torquay profile of having spent a while on the treatment table, but appears to be a craggy experienced CB. Lots of appearances for Bournemouth.

EDIT: Perhaps 'craggy' is the wrong word for Cooper, he sounds more of a ball-player. A good foil for the craggy Downes.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

5' 10" centre-half, never keen on short-arses at the back, especially at this level.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

PhilGull wrote:5' 10" centre-half, never keen on short-arses at the back, especially at this level.
Not a short arse, more of a giant midget I.M.O. :whistle: ;-) ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

According to a poster on Exeweb (what do they know?) we don't want Rendell. Not sure if he means the club or fans.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

nearly a seasons worth of scotty rendells league two goals for Wycombe here, knows where the net is and scores more with his head than rene!
The gulls are going up
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Can only be impressed with that collection; good in the air, knows were the corner of the goal is and calm penalty taker. We also know he can drop off and link play. Lets hope he's still got it!
TUST number 080
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

A fully fit Rendell is a good option, though I'd be worried if we didn't bring in another good forward as well, I think it may be too much of a risk to rely on him starting judging on the Yeovil performance. I'm sure with a pre season under his belt he'll be alright.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think i'm reasonably happy with the 4 we've got, benyon partnered with one of the other 3 feeding off whipped in crosses, gonna be a good year i can feel it!!
still keeping the faith
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

A lot of talk about Rendell on here, but personally based on the comments made by Alan Knill, I reckon Shaun Cooper is the more likely of the two to be offered a deal. If we do get him (Cooper) I think it will be an excellent bit of business as you don't get to become a fixture (and become captain) in a side like Bournemouth for 7 years without being pretty decent.

What I particularly like about him is his versatility, which is a perfect fit for a club like ours, in that not only can he play centre half but also right back and midfield, which is a real bonus in a small squad like ours.

My only concern would be his lack of height for the position we need him to play but that said there have been plenty of examples down the years of players who have not been the tallest being excellent centre halves and his ability to read the game and excellent distribution from out of defence will hopefully be more than enough to cover up for his (quite literally) shortcomings.

He had a relatively poor season by his own high standards it seems last year, not helped by injury, but it appears he did well enough at Pompey for them to consider offering him a deal and yet it seems (rather oddly) that Cooper himself stalled on taking up their offer earlier in the summer and now finds himself without a club.... which could well be to our benefit!
Bridportgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky cave

Post by Bridportgull »

I believe if Rendall is avaliable and wants to join us we should take the chance a lot of people were critical of Elliot when he joined at a time we looked like leaving the league but once fitness was gained he became a first choice and his goals were so important .
So if Rendall is really up for it then its a gamble we should take .