Two new Trialists - Cooper/Rendell

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

My only concern about Rendell is how much of a journeyman he has been. He came to us then went then moved again and again. Does he really really want to play for us with all his heart and wallet or just his wallet.

I cannot comment on Copper but he seems to fit our bill at the back. you don't always have to be a man mountain. Look at One of our more reliable previous players. Hilly. Slight in stature. Slim of average height, Yet he could out jump anyone most days. he seemed to be able to climb a mountain without aid of ladder, crampons, ropes or even using arms and legs. he just took off.
If any ball comes into our penalty area, as Long as Shaun can out jump the other guys it doesn't matter how tall he is.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

My issue with Cooper will be can he cut it in the reality of League 2 when 90% of the game is launched into the box and dealing with 6ft plus Divsion 4 centre forwards? Games in pre season really aren't any indicator, where the pace is half arsed, the opposition such as Yoevil from a higher league will play more football than Rochdale for example. There's been many decent centre backs less than 6ft tall and generally they will be more succesful higher up the divisions. Cooper being a good footballer isn't going to be loads of use when we're defending long throws and corners at Northampton with 10minutes to go.
Warwick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Sills

Post by Warwick »

True Royal but for me Steve Woods was one of our better centre halves in recent times, for what he lacked in height he more than made up for with other attributes. Sounds like Cooper is good with the ball at his feet and doesn't give the ball away much, so suppose that may balance out the fact he isn't the tallest. Ps perhaps he has a Kevin Hill jump on him! :keepie:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:My issue with Cooper will be can he cut it in the reality of League 2 when 90% of the game is launched into the box and dealing with 6ft plus Divsion 4 centre forwards? Games in pre season really aren't any indicator, where the pace is half arsed, the opposition such as Yoevil from a higher league will play more football than Rochdale for example. There's been many decent centre backs less than 6ft tall and generally they will be more succesful higher up the divisions. Cooper being a good footballer isn't going to be loads of use when we're defending long throws and corners at Northampton with 10minutes to go.
I agree with some of this but then you could argue how many League 2 teams are going to play two centre forwards of 6ft +? We have Downes who will take the big centre forward and Cooper could pick up the small one. As for the back to the walls situation then we have added Harding who is of good size and I might be the case Mozika can also add an aerial presence to the side (if the rumours come true).
It is a worry but may be not as much as we all fear?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Warwick wrote:True Royal but for me Steve Woods was one of our better centre halves in recent times, for what he lacked in height he more than made up for with other attributes. Sounds like Cooper is good with the ball at his feet and doesn't give the ball away much, so suppose that may balance out the fact he isn't the tallest. Ps perhaps he has a Kevin Hill jump on him! :keepie:
This is true and I'm not writing him off. His pedigree in terms fo his former clubs is there for all to see but the fact that he plays central midfield as well as centre back sort of says to me he's more a passer than a warrior for use of a rather rubbish term.

If he can do both great sign him, we need more footballers and the fact he could play centre mid as well is a nice bonus but we aren't looking for a bits and pieces player we need a starting centre half predominantly.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Richinns wrote: I agree with some of this but then you could argue how many League 2 teams are going to play two centre forwards of 6ft +? We have Downes who will take the big centre forward and Cooper could pick up the small one. As for the back to the walls situation then we have added Harding who is of good size and I might be the case Mozika can also add an aerial presence to the side (if the rumours come true).
It is a worry but may be not as much as we all fear?
There is no way we will sign Mozika now having signed Harding. We can't carry a squad that includes 5 out and out centre midfielders + a possible 6th with Cooper.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Some believe otherwise. If we do then I am not sure where this leaves Lathrope but suspect he might be allowed to move on if there is the option to do so.
TUST member 328
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

I think we need to take into account he was involved with Bournmouth, when they won league two, and a few seasons in league one. He knows what it takes to play centre half. Even though he doesn't have great height, I assume he is very good in the air.

Everyone is saying he's 5ft 10 because of what Wikipedia says, however I wouldn't take this as gospel. If he was 2 inches higher at 6ft we would all be saying sign him etc.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

exiledgull wrote:I think we need to take into account he was involved with Bournmouth, when they won league two, and a few seasons in league one. He knows what it takes to play centre half. Even though he doesn't have great height, I assume he is very good in the air.

Everyone is saying he's 5ft 10 because of what Wikipedia says, however I wouldn't take this as gospel. If he was 2 inches higher at 6ft we would all be saying sign him etc.
Did he play at Centre Half during that period though?
TUST member 328
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

exiledgull wrote:I think we need to take into account he was involved with Bournmouth, when they won league two, and a few seasons in league one. He knows what it takes to play centre half. Even though he doesn't have great height, I assume he is very good in the air.

My issue isn't really his height, it's we need a proper centre back not a bits and pieces player. This isn't one fo them positions where you get someone to fill in, he's obviously slightly better than that but he's played midfield for a lot of his career.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

O'Driscoll rated him
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/crawley ... er_Cooper/

This might indicate he is better suited to midfield but if he can play centre back so maybe we should not be overly worried about this should he sign?
TUST member 328
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

[quote="Glostergull"]My only concern about Rendell is how much of a journeyman he has been. He came to us then went then moved again and again. Does he really really want to play for us with all his heart and wallet or just his wallet.

I think this is harsh. Lots of players are 'journeymen' in the lower leagues, simply because clubs don't offer long contracts down here. I very much doubt he'd move here to satisfy his wallet - there's every chance he's earning more at Luton than he'd get here. The impression I get is that he just wants out of Luton. Perhaps he doesn't play enough (that doesn't mean he's no good - they might have a roster of very handy strikers). As for 'wanting to play for us', we have to get away from the idea there is any player, anywhere that dreams of playing for TUFC above other league clubs. Players go where they're wanted, they might get games, and they get paid.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Fonda wrote:
100% correct. If anyone's ambition in football is to play for TUFC they need to be sectioned.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes the concern is that Cooper is not an out and out centre half. If he is best suited to playing in central midfield he isn't alot of good to us.
You just sort of wonder whether Knill is maybe struggling to fill a couple of key positions in centre half and centre forward perhaps.
As for Rendell his main attribute is his ability to get on the end of things in around the six yard box where he seems to get most of his goals so perhaps if our wingers are pretty good this will make him effective.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I know very little about Cooper. Have to say his height isn't of massive concern to me, if he's good enough he's tall enough (or something like that). I agree with Royal though - I don't necessarily see his versatility as a benefit. We need a Centre Back. He's not likely to get shifted from there to fill in somewhere else, simply because CB is the position we're shortest in (so to speak). If he's a CB, that can play elsewhere, fine. If he's a footballer that can play anywhere included CB, I'd rather we looked elsewhere.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."