Torquay United v AFC Wimbledon - 3/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:Yes I am going. I am not a great lover of football at this time of year. The atmosphere always seems artificial.
I really hope we get some points on the board early doors or it could turn into a massively long season.
Impossible to predict what the score will be in this game.
Wimbledon should be a nice easy game but Midson always does well against us - they have got some good loanees in and we are two strikers short.
Whether they will turn up by saturday god only knows but Knill has left it late thats for sure - I am still none the wiser why a permanent signing and a loanee (if that is the case) need to be signed this late.
You are fully aware. You've got eyes and a brain and it's been explained on here by numerous members and in almost innumerable other places by almost innumerable other people.

You know what, I'm starting to think that your posts might not be altogether genuine. ;-)

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SEgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by SEgull »

Hopefully Pokey will be fit, as much as I like Martin Rice and can see how well he has done in pre season, I just do not trust him.

I should think we will line up something like:

Poke
Tonge Pearce Downes Nicholson
Chappell Mansell Harding Cameron
Benyon 6ft Plus imposing striker of League 1 or above quality.

This would however leave no place for Bodin which perhaps shows the strength of the first 11.

Hard to tell what kind of game it will be this early on but I would certainly not underestimate Wimbledon. They have some useful players and will be up for it.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

SEgull wrote:Hopefully Pokey will be fit, as much as I like Martin Rice and can see how well he has done in pre season, I just do not trust him.

I should think we will line up something like:

Poke
Tonge Pearce Downes Nicholson
Chappell Mansell Harding Cameron
Benyon 6ft Plus imposing striker of League 1 or above quality.

This would however leave no place for Bodin which perhaps shows the strength of the first 11.

Hard to tell what kind of game it will be this early on but I would certainly not underestimate Wimbledon. They have some useful players and will be up for it.
change for tom cruise and thats the exact line up i'd go for
SEgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by SEgull »

I think Cruise will get game time this year but from the pre season friendlies I get a feeling that Knill will go with Nicho. Could be wrong. It would make for a pretty stable and experienced back four if he did.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Poke won't be playing. He hasn't actually done a full 2 days training with the squad this summer, hasn't played a single minute of pre season and pulled up early in the comeback training session this week.

To play him would be ridiculously unfair on Rice who has played every minute of pre season, hasn't conceeded a goal and been there with the squad throughout pre season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I see that as much the starting line up myself actually with the exception of Bodin for Cameron. Every manager more or less goes with his most experienced line up on the first day. As for who will accompany Benyon.
Well presumably we do sign Hawley and Ball thats a difficult one. It would be Hawley if you were going for experience. Ball if you want Height (and Knill wants to appease his parent club).
Or indeed Yeoman if Knill sticks with tried and trusted and form at the end of last season.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Can't see him signing two strikers then playing Yeoman in all honesty.

Expect it to be

Rice

Tonge Downes Pearce Nicholson

Chappell Harding Mansell Bodin

Hawley Benyon

Ball
Cruise
Lathrope
Cameron
Yeoman
McKenzie
Poke if fit for bench
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

If Hawley and Ball sign, then I really am quite excited about the opening game. My team would be...

Poke

Tonge
Pearce
Downes
Nicholson

Cameron
Mansell
Harding (although part of me would pick Craig)
Bodin

Hawley
Ball

Subs:
Rice
Cruise
Chappell
Benyon
Yeoman
MacKenzie
Lathrope
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I would expect, in fact have no doubt Bodin and Benyon will both start. As for Hawley anyone know how pre-season he has had, could be a factor if not fully fit, so maybe Benyon/Ball ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Thompson has a very good pre-season so I would be surprised if he did not make the bench.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I would go

Rice; (assuming Poke isn't fully fit)

Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Nico;

Chapell, Mansell, Harding, Cameron;

Benyon

Ball

Subs
Poke/Thompson
MacKenzie
Cruise
Lathrope
Craig
Bodin
Hawley

Think Ball might start ahead of Hawley as he will have done a full pre season at Derby while Hawley (presumably) has not. Would be tough on young Yeoman to miss out completely but our bench would look a hell of a lot stronger than it has done for a long time! :engflag:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It may be the first game of the season and summer holiday time, but it would be great if we could get a big crowd in for this match.

It would not only be a big psychological boost for the players for a good win but would also send a signal to other clubs that Torquay United mean business this season and are a team to be feared.

It just needs everybody going to drag along a friend or neighbour and thereby aim to double the attendance!

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Anyone know what has happened to Jack Deaman? Matt Ferrarilover suggested that it depended on finances, and his wage expectations, whether he would be offered a contract. He has been training with the club for a few weeks and comes with a good background. He could be one for the future but we also have young McKenzie of course. Today's expected signings no doubt stretch the club's budget to the limit - bit of a conundrum for AK and the Board I would think.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

For me...
-----------------------Rice (if Poke unfit)
Tongue------Pearce-------Downes--------Nicholson
Chappel-----Mansell------Harding----------Bodin
--------------------Benyon
--------------------------Ball

Subs:
A keeper (if Rice in the team)
Cruise (could easily be in the side for Nicho)
Lathrope
Craig
Cameron (could easily get the nod ahead of Bodin)
Thompson
Hawley (only fitness see's him start on the bench)
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote:For me...
-----------------------Rice (if Poke unfit)
Tongue------Pearce-------Downes--------Nicholson
Chappel-----Mansell------Harding----------Bodin
--------------------Benyon
--------------------------Ball

Subs:
A keeper (if Rice in the team)
Cruise (could easily be in the side for Nicho)
Lathrope
Craig
Cameron (could easily get the nod ahead of Bodin)
Thompson
Hawley (only fitness see's him start on the bench)
This is the way I see it although I think may be Mackenzie might get a spot on the bench in place of Lathrope or Craig
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/