Swindon Town v Torquay United - 6/8/13 - Cup

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Could do with the money, though. I'm going, we'll lose, and not by many, either.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

We could do with giving it a real go on Tuesday. They are beatable, and some big sides come in in round two, including Liverpool I believe. A draw like that before the transfer window closes could see us add an extra player, which could really set us up nicely.

In reality, we'll win, and draw Bristol City or domething stupid like that, or lose, and Swindle will get the big guns!
SEgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by SEgull »

The money would help a lot. Our league cup record of recent years has been terrible. The 2001 trip to Spurs would be great to repeat!
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

One of my favourite ever away days SEGull!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Kernowgull (quote) We could do with giving it a real go on Tuesday. They are beatable, and some big sides come in in round two, including Liverpool I believe. A draw like that before the transfer window closes could see us add an extra player, which could really set us up nicely.

In reality, we'll win, and draw Bristol City or domething stupid like that, or lose, and Swindle will get the big guns! (quote)

I agree with Kernow - we could well cause a surprise on Tuesday. Swindon are in a bit of disarray at present (has Mark Cooper been appointed manager yet, or is he still 'caretaker' ?). There's just the chance that they will think they're in for an easy game and therefore be complacent. Bit like us against Harrogate in the F.A. Cup last year (oops - sorry to remind everyone of that disastrous afternoon at Plainmoor). Yes - we could do with a god Cup run - not only from a financial aspect, but also to give many of our large squad the chance of competitive football.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

indeed Mark Cooper is assistant manager. Isn't he the offspring of Terry Cooper the Former England defender?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Awesome preview again Andy, sometimes I think you have too much time on your hands mate!! Looking forward to the Morecambe thread.

Will you be attending the game on Saturday?
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:It would appear that Wiltshire is the hub of Britain's very own X Files. A mysterious county of crop and stone circles, Neolithic burial chambers, henges and monuments, odd shaped man made hills that look like that famous bra Madonna wore and UFO sightings aplenty. I went to West Kennet Long Barrow once and had to walk 2 miles through muddy fields to get to an old tent made with rocks. Loads of point in that, do I look like I exercise for enjoyment? I was expecting some erotic art or at least a f*cking ice cream van! Anyway, whilst I was there I noticed lots of things scattered around that may have indicated some pagans had had a party one evening.

There were burnt offerings and little trinkets left and allsorts and whilst I am all in favour of the alternative lifestyle, they really need to take their f*cking litter home with them, including the poultry carcasses. It's like that near me, a few miles from where I live there is a place near Bakewell on a moor called Nine Ladies stone circle and whenever I go for a wander up there I always come across all this sh*te left by new age devotees. It's littering of the highest order and someone needs to tell them that creating fire hazards on moorland by cremating livestock whilst morris dancing and listening to the Doors is not f*cking acceptable but to then leave bottles, cans, recreational narcotics paraphernalia and makeshift deities constructed from rocks, tree branches and wild animals body parts too is just taking the mess. The Doors?!! Jesus, there's nothing supernatural about them, they were just sh*te! Try Wolves In The Throne Room, eclectic black metal from the American underworld, give them a listen and then we're talking.

Anyway, I don't understand religion. If my hand was forced i'd be a vegetarian Pagan with a penchant for tidiness so if I was having a festival i'd sacrifice a load of beetroot to get the blood effect and cleanse it too (double bonus!) take my disinfectant wipes and mini hoover and i'd also confiscate all drugs as their use at such events is so predictable and unnecessary that it's pretty uninspiring.

I can't help thinking that if aliens landed anywhere near Swindon then they would be confused into thinking that it wasn't Earth they had hit after all but perhaps some undiscovered new planet where the ordinary flourishes and circles rule, not the crop circles in the glorious Wiltshire countryside but concrete circles. One in particular, the magic roundabout.

Whoever designed this is living on another friggin' planet man. Jesus have you seen it? I'm sure many of you have successfully navigated it whilst visiting the County Ground before and if so top marks but it's just ridiculous. Even Dougal and Zebedee would struggle with it and Mr McHenry on his tricycle is an accident waiting to happen!

Says it all about Swindon really when the highlight is a 5 island roundabout, I mean the tourist board even encourage us on their website to 'book a break in Swindon'. Why?
There's p*ss all there apart from a football team who spent money they didn't have two seasons ago trying to gain promotion including over half a million pounds on agents fees, three times higher than any other league 2 club at the time. The Paolo Di Canio effect I think it was called. I t would be interesting to see how much of an effect he would have had with no f*cking money like the rest of us in league 2. Doubt he'd even taken the job. All mouth.

Anyway, Swindon Town are our opponents for this Capital One Cup 1st Round tie at the County Ground and they will be looking to kick start their season after suffering a 1-0 defeat at Posh in their first league game. Last time we met at their place we lost 2-0 in league 2 the season before last.

They have struggled to bring players in taking 6 players from Tottenham, midfielders Ryan Mason, Aussie U-20 Massimo Luongo and Alex Pritchard as well as defenders Grant Hall, Nathan Byrne and Jack Bartham. They have also signed Ryan Harley from Brighton and Tyrell Belford the ex- Liverpool keeper. Losses include Adam Rooney who has signed for Oldham after a bizarre contract dispute with the Robins, Raffaele Da Vita has signed for Bradford City, Simon Ferry has been released as has Joe Devera and James Collins has gone to Hibs for £200k.

In short, there is no need to be afraid of the enormity of the possible, IMO it is probable that we will beat Swindon in this game. We are due it, we have had poor league cup campaigns recently and this is the time. I know it is, I asked my sacrificial pheasant at a docks and frocks party one night and he agrees with the man from del monte. He say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a squad not to fear, we can go there and do the business this time.

I've never actually been to Swindon as whenever I have considered going it has always been an evening kick off meaning a 3 hour- ish drive home after the game which i'm not prepared to do for a night game but I am assured that for such an esteemed club and one that was in the top flight not too long ago it is a total hovel and the stewards are complete phalli. I can't get to this game either despite my best efforts and so i'll be keeping tabs on the score. Tickets are a tenner so I suppose I have to credit STFC for something even though they charged nearly £25 for our league 2 fixture there a few years back but it's an uninviting fixture which i'm not sure will see a healthy Gulls turnout.

The ref is Andy D'Urso who is blatantly sh*t with assistants Stephen Finch, doesn't specify what species of finch he is though but rest assured he is a very capable passerine seed eating official. Adrian Gillet is the other assistant and let's hope he's the best a man can get. The 4th official is Richard Martin, another species of bird.

This thread is very rushed as I won't get time tomorrow and from Monday onwards i'm working on the Morecambe thread which should hit the dizzy heights so apologies if you don't get much enjoyment from this, it really is a means to an end this thread as i'm seriously short on time.

I hope as many Gulls as possible can make this game and I am actually very confident we'll beat them, don't know why but we will. I'm going for a 2-1 win.
Tart! :) :clap: :scarf: :whistle:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Actually Wodge it's a pudding which Bakewell is famous for, the tart is just a spin off cake thingy. If you say Bakewell Tart in Bakewell you'll get short shrift. There is even a famous Bakewell PUDDING shop selling them. Tarts are a dirty word in these parts in more ways than one! ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gazzableedsgull wrote:Awesome preview again Andy, sometimes I think you have too much time on your hands mate!! Looking forward to the Morecambe thread.

Will you be attending the game on Saturday?
Haha, Gaz. :clap:

Firstly, yes i have some time on my hands mainly because i'm ALWAYS F*CKING POORLY!!!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@

Secondly, i shall be at Morecambe mate, don't know how much singing i'll be able to do though as I've got tonsillitis again and coughing up blood, happy days. I'll give it go though mate! What are you doing, kicking off with a few swift 'uns in Leeds station then carrying on in the delightful hostelries of Morecambe when you get there? :lol: :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Same team as Saturday for me. Let the players get to know each other on the field as this is invaluable.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Hawley needs some minutes so would play him and possibly Chappell to start as well, other than that as we were.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Haha, Gaz. :clap:

Firstly, yes i have some time on my hands mainly because i'm ALWAYS F*CKING POORLY!!!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@

Secondly, i shall be at Morecambe mate, don't know how much singing i'll be able to do though as I've got tonsillitis again and coughing up blood, happy days. I'll give it go though mate! What are you doing, kicking off with a few swift 'uns in Leeds station then carrying on in the delightful hostelries of Morecambe when you get there? :lol: :na:
Haha got it exactly right my friend! I'm a new man this year though, too many games I've seen and couldn't tell you what's happened, so taking it steady on the booze now. A maximum of 5 before and a minimum of 9 after the game haha
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Bloody hell Gaz, i wish i'd been half cut during Lings time here mate! All bar one of the games i saw last season were worth forgetting and that included 2 wins! :lol:

Probably see thee in theer then me ol' cocker! :-D
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, play Hawley and Chappell. This is a polite way of saying 'drop Benyon and Bodin'.