Ian Morris

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Not easy to identify Morro's best position. But the other side of that coin is 'versatility'. A valuable ingredient in a small squad. Not pacy enough to be considered a classic winger, not strong enough to be considered a central nidfielder. But capable of filling in anywhere in midfield. Decent squad player.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

best wishes to Ian, unlucky with injury, hopefully he can be successful and have a better time of it at Northampton! :)
The gulls are going up
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nice bloke wish him well. However I was surprised he wasn't released, no pace injury wrecked career, do not see where he fits in our team, not a winger not strong enough to be a central midfielder as such, could only see him playing behind the front line, over all not bothered by this as a fan.
Formerly known as forevertufc
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Richinns wrote:A fly on the wall insight into the conversation between Knill and Morris:

(PHONE RINGS)

KNILL: “Hello?”
MORRIS: “Boss – it’s Ian here”
KNILL: “Who?”
MORRIS: “Ian.....Morro....you know, Torquay midfielder/winger
KNILL: “Sorry – I am not sure who......”
MORRIS: “You know, dodgy leg, no real position or pace”
KNILL: “Ian! – of-course, how are you?”
MORRIS: “Gaffa, listen, I have had an offer I just cannot turn down, I am really sorry but I have to ask whether you can let me go. The Cobblers have offered me two years and I am really excited about it and them, it seems like the next stepping stone for me to develop my career and.....”
KNILL: “Is it April in Ireland or something???”
MORRIS: “What? Ummm, no boss. Listen, please could I have the chance to do this. I plead with you, I just.....”
KNILL: “Listen, I will not stand in the way Ian. You have to follow your gut on this and it sounds as if has already made been made the decision in your heart and in no way would I want to stand in the way of that. All the very best son, and thank you for all your efforts in a Torquay shirt.
MORRIS: “Thanks gaffa, you’re a legend. Talk Soon.
KNILL: Bye Ian.

(PHONE IS HUNG-UP)
(PHONE IS PICKED UP IMMEDIATELY AND DIALLED)

KNILL: “Hello, can I talk to Damien Mozika please”
While Tully psycho calls
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

While Morris will be forgotten quickly, the memory of him being booed off the pitch (I think it was last season or maybe the end of the previous season) will not. It is uncommon for this to happen at Plainmoor; whatever may be said of some United supporters, on the whole they do not often sink to such a low level (although the unfortunate Tommy Spratt might disagree).
Personally I thought he was very ordinary and, yes, I agree with Brucie again.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

forevertufc wrote:Nice bloke wish him well. However I was surprised he wasn't released, no pace, do not see where he fits in our team, not a winger not strong enough to be a central midfielder as such, could only see him playing behind the front line, over all not bothered by this as a fan.
Edited for reference, in case someone relieves us of Nathan Craig!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Considering he spent most of his pitch time out on the left, with his lack of pace he was always going to struggle. The couple of time i saw him in centre mid though, he looked fine there. Reasonably good in the air (compared to the rest of the midfield of Manse, Craig, Stevens, Lathrope etc), he can pass the ball and doesnt shirk tackles (despite some of the comments on here). I think he would have slotted well into a 4 man midfield and was probably hampered by the formation played the last couple of seasons.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Didn't mind Morris, he was a billion times better than the likes of Easton and Macklin who got the chop and I'd prefer him to Nathan Craig but with the dosh he was on this is a good move for all concerned. Well for us and Morris anyway!

One of them players who doesn't really stand out, one you'd like to think you can improve on and I think almost certainly had he not got the extra 6 months he'd have gone with the rest in the clearout.

We needed this clearout, we needed a fresh start and we need a good half of last years squad out of the door, the challenge comes now. We need 9 players realistically be it permanent or loans we need 9 new faces and we've got 2-3 weeks to do it in. We need the new lads in for the pre season games so we can get some idea of how we can line up against Wimbledon.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Morris started for Northampton yesterday as captain. Reading their forum, many where shocked at this, and not many (if any) liked what they saw of him.
some of the comments:
"Ian Morris today was shocking. I couldn't believe how easily he got knocked off the ball"
"Morris I have my eye on as a weak link and thought so as soon as I saw him"
"Ian Morris needs a proper meal inside him"
"Morris had a largely ineffective game - as for being made Captain you might have well made Tozer skipper - very strange decision"
"Morris looks like a light-weight shy Ben Harding"

I have to say I was surprised at him being made captain.
Rivo_7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rivo_7 »

Ian Morris started.....as captain??

Am I the only one who thinks he must have photos of Aidy Boothroyd doing something he shouldnt? I was baffled that they signed him, stunned that he actually played and am now completely astonished that he was made captain!!

In the games I saw him play for us he just wandered around the pitch without breaking into a sweat, never tried to tackle anyone and definitely showed zero leadership quality.....the mind boggles!!!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Strange decision, I would have thought, to make him captain. Ranks alongside the decision to make Nicky Wroe the TUFC skipper.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Northampton fans do this every year. They start the season thinking they will walk the league and the realisation that they are just an average League 2 team hits pretty quickly.

They are the most deluded fans in the Country!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cobblers fans in 'let's slag off any player who isn't on steroids and built like a brick sh*thouse' shocker. :O

Why don't they sell Morris now and replace him with Nikolai Valuev? Then they'd be over the feckin moon.

Tossers
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

diamondgirl wrote:Strange decision, I would have thought, to make him captain. Ranks alongside the decision to make Nicky Wroe the TUFC skipper.
Careful, "super" will be after you!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

diamondgirl wrote:Strange decision, I would have thought, to make him captain. Ranks alongside the decision to make Nicky Wroe the TUFC skipper.
christine, how could you say such a hurtful thing.......???? :no: :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468