The ideal squad situation

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

supergulls wrote:I think a few have taken this the wrong way in knills article he says that in an ideal world he would like 15 established pros and 4 youngsters to develop. But because of the way the contracts were with certain players still having time remaining he has inherited them. It's a situation he will have to go with this season but at no point does he say he will be loaning out the other players.
does this mean then, that if he had a choice, maybe he wouldnt have kept certain players from the likes of nicholson, craig, mansell, lathrope, poke or bodin who were left over with a year to run on their contract from the previous squad?

is he stuck with players he doesnt really want or rate because of their contract having a year to run ?

not speculating, opinionating or stirring, just wondering from that manner of that sentence or what it may suggest. :-/
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Well if a manager states that he only wants a squad of 15 established pros and 4 youngsters but ends up with 22 obviously there is a couple in there that given a choice he wouldn't have wanted. You can do the maths and see who's left out of the team tomorrow and you have your answer.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Thought it was a very interesting choice to put Sullivan on the bench ahead of Yeoman. Obviously scored a nice goal v Yeovil and perhaps was reward for what we're told was a good pre season for him. If he's good enough to be 4th striker then that's great and we should be actively looking to send Yeoman out on loan, ideally to the Conference where he could play 15-20 matches and get a few goals.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:Thought it was a very interesting choice to put Sullivan on the bench ahead of Yeoman. Obviously scored a nice goal v Yeovil and perhaps was reward for what we're told was a good pre season for him. If he's good enough to be 4th striker then that's great and we should be actively looking to send Yeoman out on loan, ideally to the Conference where he could play 15-20 matches and get a few goals.
Spot on. If he does well bring him back into the fold at Christmas.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

It seems strange that Yeoman didn't feature on the bench. I got the impression that Knill was impressed with him - he featured a few times towards the end of the season and started the last game against Rovers. This might have been through necessity at the limited options we had at this period - but then why would Knill hand him another year if he didn't see something he liked?

I'd be a fan of using the loan market to send one of Yeoman or Sullivan out (to at least conference level if possible to see if they can cut it one step down)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was impressed with Sullivan at Tiverton. If we are doing well enough he could deserve a run-out as a substitute (if we are winning) in a league match - say in two months time.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

A couple of things - Are we to assume that there aren't going to be the 'development' games which were held from time to time over the last few seasons?
Also I think we're still light on an experienced CB for the times when our two shirt holders are injured,suspended, otherwise need a break - there must still be some good guys unsigned, or maybe we could get someone experienced who's dipped into the conference like Branston did; and I don't see the midfielder who could do what Russell/Wroe/Stanley or O'Kane did for the team. Still several weeks before the window closes. A couple of fringe players loaned out to useful conference sides could work in everyones favour.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wivelgull wrote:I was impressed with Sullivan at Tiverton. If we are doing well enough he could deserve a run-out as a substitute (if we are winning) in a league match - say in two months time.
Did you see Yeovil?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Theres now an article on the o/s saying that if the right player was available we could sign another! is this
paving the way for a new face?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dockers Pal wrote:A couple of things - Are we to assume that there aren't going to be the 'development' games which were held from time to time over the last few seasons?
Also I think we're still light on an experienced CB for the times when our two shirt holders are injured,suspended, otherwise need a break - there must still be some good guys unsigned, or maybe we could get someone experienced who's dipped into the conference like Branston did; and I don't see the midfielder who could do what Russell/Wroe/Stanley or O'Kane did for the team. Still several weeks before the window closes. A couple of fringe players loaned out to useful conference sides could work in everyones favour.
I was surprised that McKenzie wasn't on the bench on Saturday. I'm not sure what we would have done if Downes or Pearce had to go off with an injury.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Jerry wrote:I was surprised that McKenzie wasn't on the bench on Saturday. I'm not sure what we would have done if Downes or Pearce had to go off with an injury.
I think Tonge has played there before so he would probably move inside?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Alan knill took a gamble and went with a very attacking bench as we were at home and he wanted to get off to a winning start. It could have backfired on him but I don't see tonge slotting in there as we didn't have another rightback on the bench either, more likely cruise would have dropped in there.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Sunnysideup wrote: I think Tonge has played there before so he would probably move inside?

Oooohheeerrrr Matron! :~D
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

supergulls wrote:Alan knill took a gamble and went with a very attacking bench as we were at home and he wanted to get off to a winning start. It could have backfired on him but I don't see tonge slotting in there as we didn't have another rightback on the bench either, more likely cruise would have dropped in there.
Not sure he totally trusts McKenzie either in all honesty, if we are one short anywhere it's at centre half cover so we can let McKenzie go out on loan and have a backup he feels happy with.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So it seems like Knill is still in the market for another player, if the right player comes available. Now is it just me who is a little concerned by this? In my opinion we have quite a big squad now, and some of the signings can't have come cheap. Obviously we have lost some high earners - I'd hazard a guess that Rene Howe, Ian Morris and probably Brian Saah were all earning around the £1k/week mark, so that has clearly made some space. Then we have the others. Stevens, Oastler, Leadbitter, Macklin and Easton wouldn't have been among the highest earners in the squad so together that would have cleared more space.

However I would also say that the likes of Pearce, Harding and Hawley will be on a decent wedge, and I'm getting a tad concerned by it to be honest. Bury and Scunthorpe fans lay the blame for their financial woes at the door of Mr Knill, claiming he overstretched the budgets and spent excessively. Having been through the mill in 2007, I would hate to have to go through it again.

I guess I could be unnecessarily worrying about nothing but something just tells me that it could all go a bit pear-shaped a couple of years down the line. Is it just me or can someone tell me I have nothing to worry about?!