Billy Bodin

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Billy Bodin

Post by Gullscorer »

Billy Bodin is in the Wales Under-21 squad for the UEFA qualifying match against Finland in Bangor on Wednesday 14 August. Is the Welsh FA aware of his recent form which cannot be said to be of international level? Or are they really desperate? Of course Billy has talent and potential, and obviously we wish him well; we'd just like him to bring some of his international form back to Plainmoor... :-/
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I think Billy needs to go out on loan to try get his confidence back,.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I can't believe this could be another thread started with a main aim of having a dig at Billy Bodin, therefore I'll assume it's a genuine enquiry on Gullscorer's part as to whether the Welsh F.A are aware of Billy's recent form.

My guess is that they're not. I think I'm right in saying that this call up was announced before the first game of the season. I doubt that scouts for the Welsh F.A decide that anything meaningful would be learned from attending pre-season friendlies, and therefore would be surprised to learn that they came to watch Billy in them. So I expect Billy's call up has been based mainly on what he did with the Welsh squad when called up last season.

I'm sure that for the opening stages of the season we'll give all the players a fair crack of the whip while they're getting used to new teammates etc, and if Billy then appears to be underperforming we can join in with the regular poster who's most well known for criticizing Billy on a daily basis, if not more frequently.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I fully support Billy and was not having a dig at him, but it's been known for a few months that he's been struggling to recover the form he had when he first played for us. The performance of the squad as whole last season along with Martin Ling's problems obviously didn't help him and most of the other players. This season, as Alan Knill has said, the squad was completed only a couple of days before the first match and it will take a little while for the team to gel together. But the signs are good, and I'm hoping, and believe that, Billy's international duties will help him to recover the superb form we know he's capable of, so wish him the best of luck.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Just shows the lack of quality coming through the Welsh football system in all honesty. I have nothing against Bodin or any of our players and as one I really want him to be brilliant every time he's on the pitch because if he is it helps torquay united. Fact is he's probably been our worst player in these first two games and if I was picking the side there's no way he'd be starting on Saturday.

With Bodin I'm not even sure what he's good at, that's a bit of a concern.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Some of Billy's performances last Season were disappointing, as well as being frustrating for those of us who had witnessed just what he's capable of during his loan spell. At least the competition for the wide places looks a bit stronger this season with Jordan Chapell impressing and Courtney Cameron showing promise. Niall Thompson is another year older and has hopefully added something to his game other than being able to run quickly. He certainly put a decent cross over onto Downesy's head last Saturday.

Billy has to earn a place in the team just like anyone else. He's got the ability to do that easily, and he'll have to remind us of it if he wants to keep some of the others on the bench.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

[quote="royalgull"]Just shows the lack of quality coming through the Welsh football system in all honesty. I have nothing against Bodin or any of our players and as one I really want him to be brilliant every time he's on the pitch because if he is it helps torquay united. Fact is he's probably been our worst player in these first two games and if I was picking the side there's no way he'd be starting on Saturday.

With Bodin I'm not even sure what he's good at, that's a bit of a concern.[/quote]

Yes, remember that 31 year old Fireman that Argyle signed last season, ( Griffiths ), scored shed loads of goals in Welsh football & was top scorer for several seasons but bu##er all use in L2. Of course the same can't be said of our Effion Williams who was I.M.O. a class act!

I think that a good game for the Wales under 21 side would be a great confidence booster for Billy.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

How old is Billy Bodin? 20? 21? A young player, obviously short of confidence and a whole thread started to question if he is good enough for Wales U21s or 'how bad Wales are' to be picking him. Is this helpful to him?

It may be best for him to get some confidence back out on loan or it may not be necessary but Bodin is not a poor player. He is not playing especially well but I suspect it is just not clicking for him and as a young player with undoubted potential he needs some of the pressure taken off him. The supporters can help him with their attitude towards him, by encouraging rather than berate.

Bodin will prove himself, whether it is with us, which would be good for us, or elsewhere, like Billy Kee, who similarly got stick from supporters not willing to give a young player a chance.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I firmly believe BB is getting a raw deal from some fans. seriously, what did he do on Saturday that makes him stand out as being worthy of criticism?

Honestly, some people need to get off his back. undeserving criticism in my opinion, certainly based on Saturdays game.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He didn't do anything, that's the point. Just like he didn't do anything the game before or any of the 50 games before that.

The reason we forgive X player for having a hopeless game is because, in all probability, within, say, the last three weeks, player X has played well.
Bodin is ordinary at the best of times and bloody dreadful the rest of the time. He's just so bloody ineffective and the thing that makes it worst of all is that each of us knows that he is capable I'd so much more.

He isn't the first (Carayol, anyone) and he won't be the last.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Like it or lump it Bodin is a first team regular - he was under Ling and he is under Knill. The notion that he is going to go out on loan somewhere is quite frankly absurd.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

For once, I completely agree with Brucie. It would be daft to think about sending him out on loan. It might be better for him to drop to the bench for a while and come on as a sub. His confidence is shot to pieces, he is not playing well and there are a few vociferous fans who are on his case virtually from kick off. He has ability, but isn't showing it at the moment. I wish people would just give him a break, we have had two matches so far and fans should not be writing Billy Bodin off.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

IMO Bodin would not start. Reason being his performances have not been good enough and that includes last season. I am not sure on his best position either.
We cannot afford to select a player based solely on potential. The best i saw from Billy was when he came to us in his loan spell from Swindon. I was disappointed when Di Canio recalled him. If my memory serves me correct he went back out on loan to Crewe and was little used.
Something is not clicking with him at the moment and its been like that for some time.
We now have 2 other players who appear to be performing and its difficult to argue against their selection.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:He didn't do anything, that's the point. Just like he didn't do anything the game before or any of the 50 games before that.

The reason we forgive X player for having a hopeless game is because, in all probability, within, say, the last three weeks, player X has played well.
Bodin is ordinary at the best of times and bloody dreadful the rest of the time. He's just so bloody ineffective and the thing that makes it worst of all is that each of us knows that he is capable I'd so much more.

He isn't the first (Carayol, anyone) and he won't be the last.

Matt.
Interesting that you use Carayol as an example. The same player who is now playing for Middlesbrough, in the Championship. The Billy Bodin we saw here on loan two years ago was an extremely effective player and one the majority of fans wanted to see sign for us. Ironically, he was signed to replace Billy Kee who had just signed for Burton. The same player who got lots of abuse (I remember him getting plenty at Old Trafford in the play-off final). It was as if people expected Kee to be the finished article - a league 2 player who was not much more than a teenager.

I cannot imagine there are too many fans who do not wish we had kept Kee. The same will happen with Bodin. If he gets hounded out by those who fail to recognise we have a player with great potential - he will go and do it somewhere else where he is given a fairer chance. He is still a kid, basically. Give the lad a break.
SEgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by SEgull »

I think if we are patient with Billy he will develop. He is still a young lad with a lot to learn but with an abundance of ability. Who knows, we could turn a profit on the fee we paid in a couple of years.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”