Manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think this must be some kind of record. 3 games!? Who said football fans are fickle?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Fonda wrote:I think this must be some kind of record. 3 games!? Who said football fans are fickle?
We're doomed :lol:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

teeboo100 wrote:come on please give the lad a chance knill and brass arnt stupid people we are 3 games in i do see we have issues in the side but saying hes not up to the task is just rubbish and brucie i do realize that a large majority of your posts are designed to wind people up and you are entitled to your opinion however do you ever see any good in torquay we are a small club with about 2000 hard core fans give the club a break hay we are never gonna be a premier club we are a team that's always going to struggle And that's why i love torquay so much cos i feels like a family homely club not a franchise like a large majority of your so called successful clubs

:goodpost:

Totally agree Teeboo, some people on this forum are clearly determined to turn talking complete bollox into an art form. It is very easy to stand outside the tent and p*ss in, people like Brucie do this all the time
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:Nonsensical thread - the post from sunnysideup is just the sort that I have never understand. We have lost 3-1 at home to a team missing their star player in Kitson, and who lost their two first choice wingers during the game - but we could have won apparently.
If Morecambe hadn't hit the post in the last minute and we had not scambled an injury time equaliser against Wimbledon we could well have accumalated a grand total of zero points.
But what does that matter? We did score those equalising goals, every team in the football league will do that at some point this season!

I really don't know why you 'support' Torquay united Brucie
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Thing is no one has actually questioned him though have they? The original post simply asked the question if Ling was sacked for football reasons how long does Knill have. The same poster then says he hopes he gets a fair crack of the whip etc.

Is it now a point though where you can't question certain things after 3 games but you can others? Whole point of a forum or pre match pints and the like is to discuss the goings on and what could maybe be improved or whats going well and all the such like.

For what it's worth I just made the point, we've won 4 of Knill's 18 games in charge. I'm neither for or against the bloke, presume more for because I want us to do well but that record is poor whichever way you dress it up. Fans generally of all clubs and this board is amazing for it everything or someone is either the best thing ever or utterly useless and there is never a middle ground. Ling was brilliant because he wasn't Buckle that was it, simple as that. The majority of posters on here loved him and wouldn't have a bad word said against him, not because we were a good side because to be honest we weren't. We had the best GK, best CM in the league with a semi-regular goalscorer which gave us a false slant on where we actually were as a side.

We lost them two and filtered back to our natural position of lower end of the table and suddenly messiah Ling is now utterly useless, terrible tactics, terrible football. It was EXACTLY the same the year before we just won those games 1-0 instead of losing them 1-0 because we had 2 much better players in said positions. so Knill comes in and now everyone lives in the guys rectum the same way most did for Ling early days. There are shades of grey (50 in fact) and it is possible to call things as seen instead of pre concieved ideas of people..

We're probably a slightly better watch simply because Knill's sides tend to have more attackers on the pitch which from a fans perspective is good to see but we don't win....hardly ever. Knill's records suggest that Bury wasn't the norm so have all his sides been like this? And if so I'd hope he'd have learnt a few lessons over that timeframe. It's not all down to managers, budgets and players are the most important things at football clubs and like I've said on other threads I actually like the look of our squad in the main this year. It has very little depth but it surely can't be argued that on paper we have a better side now than at this point last season? That's the one thing I'm clinging to, I think we've got half decent players this year, I thought we had terrible players last year and we survived so we should be aiming for around 10th/11th with a very slim outside bet for playoffs but we will need to improve in all aspects of the team to start getting the best out of these players because I don't think we have just yet.

Still a long ol way to go though.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

usagullmichigan wrote:The games in September are going to be very hard. Not looking forward to it TBH.
Well USA that is just sooooo sad! :'( I'm a Torquay United supporter (sometimes I wonder how many of the posters on this forum really are ) & I tend to look forward to every game. If we've done badly I hope we're going to do better, & if we're doing well, I still hope that we're going to do better !!!
If I didn't look forward to the games, I can't imagine why I could call myself a supporter, or even bother coming on here. :scarf: :scarf:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

taxilady wrote:
Well USA that is just sooooo sad! :'( I'm a Torquay United supporter (sometimes I wonder how many of the posters on this forum really are ) & I tend to look forward to every game. If we've done badly I hope we're going to do better, & if we're doing well, I still hope that we're going to do better !!!
If I didn't look forward to the games, I can't imagine why I could call myself a supporter, or even bother coming on here. :scarf: :scarf:[

I'll delete my account then.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Ye Gods Peoples. At this rate we will have to trawl for new members if everyone deletes their account loo. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I'll delete my account then.[/quote]

Nah, just send me the Rolo please !!!!!!! :-D :rofl:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

taxilady wrote:I'll delete my account then.

Nah, just send me the Rolo please !!!!!!! :-D :rofl:[/quote]

I can but I already licked it. :~D
Lukeyboy WFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Lukeyboy WFC »

Why dont you get Leroy back? Or Buckle or is he now in the states? :)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So where have I questioned the manager - I actually said that the thread was nonsensical. Thats quite correct it doesn't matter because we have two points out of nine. We are where we are. I was merely pointing out that if someone was saying we could have beaten Oxford we would have had five points then that is ludicrous as well.
Gullinwotplaces - if you don't like my posts don't fecking read them - its as simple as that.
If I post bollox because I said we could quite easily have had no points (which is actually quite feasable) -yet someone posts something which says that we could have had more points than we have actually got then that is fine.
We have played four games and havn't even come close to winning any of them. We were behind in the Wimbledon game, behind in the Morecambe game, behind in the Swindon game and (ahem) behind 2-0 and 3-1 in the Oxford game - despite as I have said having the Xmas bonus of the opposition not playing with their star striker and having both wingers (including Potter) crocked in the second half (a half in which we incidentally scored one and conceded three).
Call me old fashioned but there seems to be a bit of a pattern emerging - ie we are not scoring many goals for starters.
If there is any evidence (from our form so far) that we are going to start winning games soon then please point it out.
Players are not gelling - they are new. Lets wait 15 games we will be all right then. Well Bury had eight new players playing saturday, and they won again.
As for having 2000 supporters, well yes it looks like that is going to be the way but is it suprising if we struggle yet again.
The crowd was 3500 for the first game because there was a bit of hope (or was it hype) - I was sat next to a bloke who I didn't know.
In the second half he said that he wasn't coming again because it cost £40 + per game and he thought that we were worse than ever! - he is obviously a pretty good judge.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ahahaha, we aren't winning 10-0 after 5 minutes of the first match of the season so some old fart isn't coming again? That might be the funniest thing I've ever read. What a **** ing loser.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

The question i posed was not to have a go at the manager, new to this and everyone seems to be raving about the manager over the last one but from what i can see were not a lot better and merely questioned whether he will get a fair crack at it.........I agree that attacking football is probably better to watch but if you lose its not much of a consolation..........as records go we only just survived last season so i don't think he is quite the hero he is made out to be. Thats only my opinion of course and forums are for discussion or so i thought.............

Sorry if i have offended a few.... :-/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

rooster, you have not offended me, if everyone was to read what you actually said in your o/p they would have understood that you were not having a pop at AK, or suggesting his time at the club should be up. Didn't take this thread to seriously, was having a bit of a giggle with my first reply.

Serious head on now, in answer to your question whether AK will get a fair crack at it. From the club, yes every bit he will, my reasons for that are, I think AK has been brought in the over see a long term project , not only to ensure the club has a viable first team squad, but also to make sure the club are doing everything possible to develop young talent, and not just through our youth acadmey, but also spotting young players like Chapell, Cameron and Pearce.

Also not bothered what anyone says, I am fully convinced, had Martin Ling not gone sick he would still be the clubs manager. The moment AK was brought in Lingy future was allways going to be in question, despite some naive comments from Martin Ling, he really did know it himself, after all by his own addmission, he asked the club of his job was safe, you don't ask that question unless you suspect your time is up.The point there is our current board through Buckle's time proved they are very loyal to there employee's, and would have shown the same loyality.

I suspect the reason why they didn't are simple, footballing reasons, nah. The possible reasons why he went sick left a sour taste in the mouth of many, the season as whole left a massive negative vibe around club, which almost certainly would have damaged season ticket sales, and keeping Lingy would have been a massive risk, just imagine if we had started with 2 pts from 9 with Lingy still the manager, this site the club and it's fans would be in melt down right now. For me the final 14 games of last season do not count as far as AK is concerned, he walked into this club with the squad on it's knees, had he maintained the status quo, we would now be a conference club, Ak had make a lot changes, and do a lot of work on the training ground in a short space of time and did a great job of saving a sinking ship.

To me AK'S blank canvass started from game 1this season, we are only 3 games into what I have already said, I think is a long term project, there are a few players under contract which I do not think Ak wants to keep which the club could not afford to pay off, I am expecting more changes during the course of this season, and certainly next summer.

This isn't going happen overnight, AK will get the time and support of the club, will he get from the fans ? Thats not going be so easy.
Formerly known as forevertufc