Thought For the Day

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

if you go on any website, forum, listen to the radio, read the paper, watch the tv, all of these mediums that have a thought for the day section are just using thoughts or quotes from famous people, celebrities, sportsmen, musicians, politicians, religious leaders, poets or whatever.

nearly every single one of them is a used thought/quote or expression famous or not, copied from someone else. you might find a few original new ones but not many.

we could come up with our own stuff, and some posters have, but that is what we do with every other thread and post that we write on the forum.

i like this thread, i like reading the thought/quote that others have found and chosen to copy and paste, a lot of them i have never read or heard before.

reading a funny, intelligent or thought provoking thought or quote you havent heard before that you wouldnt expect from a famous or well known person can raise an eye brow sometimes also.

some of the thoughts/quotes have been or are inspirational, funny, witty, ironic, intelligent, memorable, very true, thought provoking, moving or an insight.

some of the ones i have posted have depended on what mood i am in or what i have been watching on tv or what i have been reading. some thoughts have been words that i remember or have been inspired by or just like very much. some of the people i have quoted are those who i admire very much, look up to, rate highly or am a fan of. :bow: :clap:

one of the muhammad ali quotes is on a canvas picture of him on my lounge wall -

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
-Muhammad Ali

a lot of people like it and find it quite interesting.

i have quoted people like muhammad ali :bow: , elvis :bow: ,freddie mercury :bow: , george carlin :bow: ,
john lennon :clap:, and there will be many other people i like that i will use, all of these thoughts mean something or make you think one way or another. i like reading ones from other posters also and find it interesting to see what they choose to post, even the crude or daft ones, we could all do with a good laugh.its just a bit of fun and its almost therapeutic.

i would suggest as with any thread or post if you dont like it, dont read it. :na:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.

Dalai Lama
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

if it's ok to copy other people's words then how about this one " when ignorance reigns lives are lost " limp bizkit!
the power of the mind it's a wonderful thing, use it wisely! me

just couldn't put down a copied piece without an original that's one original one per day so far, it ain't difficult!
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Some of these are very deep. My mantra today will be...

"Never get angry at the stupid people" - Erasure. (Ooh crikey, there's another for my BB list, Andy Bell
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.

Brian Clough :bow:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

i was going to put thoughts said by many other famous people about elvis presley yesterday because it was the anniversary of his death, but the site was down.

like him, love him or hate him he was an original, he revolutionised poular culture and was the inspiration and idol to many other stars that came after. like john lennon said "before elvis there was nothing". over 45,000 people old and young made the pilgrimage to graceland late on thursday night, unprecedented. :bow:

all i can say is -

"elvis was, is and always will be the greatest entertainer and icon of all time. they didnt call him the king for nothing."

dont just take my word for it read what many famous people, from the past and modern eras thought of him -

http://www.elvis.com/about-the-king/quo ... elvis.aspx

http://www.elvis-express.com/ology_quotes.html
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Not to denigrate Elvis and his abilities, but before him there was Enrico Caruso, Maria Callas, Mario Lanza, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Paul Robson, Judy Garland, Johnny Ray, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London, Edith Piaf, Dean Martin, Juliette Greco, The Inkspots, all the great dance orchestras and jazz bands, and many others. Many of these had far more talent and versatility than Elvis, for all his popularity, ever had.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

i absolutely agree that all of those people were talented, and were at the top of their game.there are a few people on that list that i like and admire very much, such as bing crosby, frank sinatra, dean martin, and mario lanza who were all brilliant and i know from reading about elvis there are quite a few of them on your list including those few that he looked up to.

but elvis really shook things up (no pun) when he came along and took the music genre to places it hadnt been before. he was the first and biggest of his kind. he drew his style of singing and clothes from various music and culture that he had been around and that influenced him. its the same in every era or generation, somebody will take bits from those who have come before, which have inflenced them and then they mould this, even subconsciously into a style of their own.

there were 4 phases of his career, and through 2 of those he was bigger, better and different to anything that had come before and was admired and copied by many that have come along since.

he even eventually won round the likes of sinatra and crosby who had castigated him at first. there are very complimentary quotes from both of them, and both of them were great at what they did.

elvis was about pop culture as much as singing, the all round package, the phrase it factor or x factor was coined and used about him decades before the so called talent show came about. to get my point you only have to read what other stars say about how they admired or idolised him, how important he was and how he influenced them.

its all about personal taste and i would never say im right and someone else is wrong, its just my opinion which is the same as many others. there will be many that say oh such and such is/was better but it is subjective, there are different tastes, eras and generations.

to me and many others elvis is and always will be the king. :bow:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

As I remember, Elvis also appeared in some excellent films, good solid mainstream entertainment, the kind which unfortunately they rarely seem to make these days, though I saw only a few. Must try to catch up on the others sometime.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

"No man is an island, entire of itself. Each is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thine own or of thy friend's were. Every man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. And therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

John Donne.
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

man with d**k in cookie jar not necessarily f**king crackers!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

"They have disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's their reason? I am a Palestinian. Hath not a Palestinian eyes? Hath not a Palestinian hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as
an Israeli is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Palestinian wrong an Israeli, what is his humility? Revenge. If an Israeli wrong a Palestinian, what should his sufferance be by Israeli example? Why, revenge. The villainy you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction."
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

I don't stop eating when I'm full. The meal isn't over when I'm full. It's over when I hate myself.

Louis C. K.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life. Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat.

Albert Einstein