Manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yes you all get moan, but only one it carries some validity. There's absolutely no point in moaning about how we've played so far, because it's based on nothing. If we only get 2 points all season, then Oxford will be our best performance of the year. If we get 125 points, then the criticism will have some basis.
Truth be told, we have been alright so far, precisely as anyone who knows anything would expect us to be. Good in spells where it has clicked and not so good in other spells where old Nico and new Hawley haven't quite berm on the same wavelength.
Attempting to form any meaningful judgments about anything after 3 games is a bit like trying to determine what GCSE results a child is likely to achieve based on its first day at school.
A couple of years ago, Morecambe won about their first dozen games. They beat Cheaty 6-0 and destroyed a couple of other sides too. They finished something like 16th. Last year, Dartford had one point after 6 games, having lost their first 4. They finished a place outside the Playoffs.

In answer to the unanswerable OP, it depends on just how wrong it goes. Ling, very obviously, was sacked because of his [drinking] medical problem, which tells us that, had he been well, the club considered last season not to be sack-worthy. With this in mind, I guess things would have to go pretty badly for Knill to get the boot, and even then, I suspect it would be because we had been relegated and couldn't afford him, rather than a genuine desire to sack a useless manager.

It won't come to that, we'll do just fine. We have one of the best players in the division in Hawley and reinforcements are incoming (I dunno, maybe) in other key areas. We have much to learn and we are learning it. If we could put together a whole game of the quality of about 40% of our play so far, we'd destroy Northampton (and anyone else). It'll all come good, just be cool.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

Well at least my post has generated some healthy debate................however not sure about the drinking comment, medical problem fair enough but fuelling non factual rumours a little unfair :)
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

by ferrarilover
In answer to the unanswerable OP, it depends on just how wrong it goes. Ling, very obviously, was sacked because of his [drinking] medical problem, which tells us that, had he been well, the club considered last season not to be sack-worthy. With this in mind, I guess things would have to go pretty badly for Knill to get the boot, and even then, I suspect it would be because we had been relegated and couldn't afford him, rather than a genuine desire to sack a useless manager.
:rofl:

careful.... :rules:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote:Yes you all get moan, but only one it carries some validity. There's absolutely no point in moaning about how we've played so far, because it's based on nothing. If we only get 2 points all season, then Oxford will be our best performance of the year. If we get 125 points, then the criticism will have some basis.
Truth be told, we have been alright so far, precisely as anyone who knows anything would expect us to be. Good in spells where it has clicked and not so good in other spells where old Nico and new Hawley haven't quite berm on the same wavelength.
Attempting to form any meaningful judgments about anything after 3 games is a bit like trying to determine what GCSE results a child is likely to achieve based on its first day at school.
A couple of years ago, Morecambe won about their first dozen games. They beat Cheaty 6-0 and destroyed a couple of other sides too. They finished something like 16th. Last year, Dartford had one point after 6 games, having lost their first 4. They finished a place outside the Playoffs.

It won't come to that, we'll do just fine. We have one of the best players in the division in Hawley and reinforcements are incoming (I dunno, maybe) in other key areas. We have much to learn and we are learning it. If we could put together a whole game of the quality of about 40% of our play so far, we'd destroy Northampton (and anyone else). It'll all come good, just be cool.

Matt.

Matt how can it based on nothing? That is codswallop. It's based on 3 games.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Which is like deciding which car to buy based on the smell of the tires. Sure, you can allege that these prophecies about good season/bad season after three games are based on "something" but it's something so irrelevant that any correct predictions are sheer luck and mathematical anomaly, rather than anything else.

There's a scam, perpetrated mainly in America, where "psychics" will send out predictions on things with two fixed outcomes (the result of a baseball or tennis match, for example). They send 1 version to 1000 people and another version to another 1000 people. Version 1 says Murray will win the match, version 2 says Nadal will win. They do this three or four times. Maths says that at least some people will get only the correct predictions. These people (being American, therefore stupid) will believe that the psychic really has powers beyond our world and will donate vast sums of money in the hope of continuing to receive these accurate, divine messages.
What some people on here do (we all know who they are), is a similar thing. They constantly predict doom and gloom, then come screaming about their advanced knowledge of the game when their predictions come true. It's a fallacy. Predict that we'll lose every week based on some myth about our team being the worst in the division, the opposition looking better than us etc etc, it doesn't matter if you're talking out of your arse, you will always be right some of the time and, provided you make enough noise when you are right, people will take notice.

Nothing, NOTHING long term can be based on the first three games of the season. Very little could be based on the first 10 games of the season. To do so would be as absurd as claiming some ability to predict lottery numbers based on winning the lottery. Even if you do turn out to be right, it was pot luck, not skill.

I'll show you how this works in reverse, if you like. Every week, I'll predict that we'll win, we'll be miles better than the opposition, we'll smash them all over the shop, man for man we'll win every battle. I'll "back this up" with some facts and figures I pull straight out of my arse. When we lose, I'll go quiet but when we win, I'll be all over the board like a rash and, you watch, people, new people and those who can't or won't go to games will start to believe me. I'll get called a moron by people who really do know what they're talking about, but I'll just ignore it and march on regardless.

So, Torquay 4 - 0 Northants, they'll be lucky to get the nil. We've got a far better squad than they have, our players are, on average, 3 inches shorter than theirs and, as we all know, Ginafranco Zola was a much better player than Tore Andre Flo, so that's empirical proof that short players are better than tall players. I sat next to a bloke at the AFCW game who said this was the best Torquay side he'd ever seen.

See, it's easy.

Matt.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Oh good so we can base the results under Ling then which was a few points off the play off before he went off sick. :)
Last edited by usagullmichigan on 22 Aug 2013, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

usagullmichigan wrote:Oh good so we can base base the results under Ling then which was a few points off the play off before he went off sick. :)
:goodpost: :clap: :lol:
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Ferrarilover
Nothing, NOTHING long term can be based on the first three games of the season.
I got my Carlisle supporting mate to read Matt's post, and it's cheered him up no end. Not all his pre-season optimism is back, but there's a marked improvement in his mood, so at least someone has benefited from Matt's words of wisdom :)
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

with all the squabbling on this thread and a fair share of bitching I reckon it should be merged with the ladies thread! please don't try to tell me that it's all healthy debate because it just ain't, it's a full on bitch fest and a totally unnecessary one at that! a plainly ludicrous and pointless thread full of absolute bullsh1t! :red:
oh and please try not to inform me that I can scroll past or choose not to read it, I've been doing that for days, it's been the only active thread and its getting way too tedious, it needs locking! it serves no purpose what so ever except to allow a bitch fight platform to exist!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Hello, forum police have arrived.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

usagullmichigan wrote:Oh good so we can base the results under Ling then which was a few points off the play off before he went off sick. :)
I don't follow.

Matt.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

geezer wrote :Oh and please try not to inform me that I can scroll past or choose not to read it, I've been doing that for days, it's been the only active thread and its getting way too tedious, it needs locking! it serves no purpose what so ever except to allow a bitch fight platform to exist![/quote]
Precisely! The only active thread! How we miss AustrianAndyGull !!!!! :bow:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

ferrarilover wrote:Hello, forum police have arrived.

Matt.
no not at all, just bored to death of this inane bollox! if you want a place to all bitch at each other then you should really start a verbal bitch fight thread on the banter board as this has descended from a tufc topic to slagging match in my opinion! maybe I'm wrong not!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

It kind of makes you wish some little oik would throw a brick at a coach to give us something else to talk about....
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Sorry Geezer, I hadn't realised we were all here for your entertainment. Surely, if this site has nothing to offer you, your life can't be so empty that you have nothing else to keep you entertained?

We note with interest that, despite your upset at the lack of meaningful posting on this thread, that you have declined to make any significant and relevant contribution of your own in relation to the question posed in the OP.

Matt.