Northampton Town vs Torquay United 24/8/13

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:Gullinwotplaces - You really never learn do you. Perhaps you ought to stop posting because when you do you just make yourself look like a complete and utter imbecile :rofl:
You say that I might "pretend" that we were lucky which apparently is "bollox" (as you put it).
Yet several posters describe our first half peformance as "turgid", "lucky not to be 3-0 down at the break" etc etc.
So are they also all talking "bollox" as you put it then?
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot :rofl:

Anyway moving on from the minor irritation that you are :rofl: , I was enjoying an excellent local game so didn't really monitor the game at all. Predictably we we were losing - and by all accounts from the posters on here were absolute terrible in the first half yet again.
Seems like we rousted ourself in the second half to come away with an excellent, if unexpected but welcome three points.
One thing is for sure - Chappell is by miles our best winger, why he has only started two of our league games so far is beyond me.

A typical, expected reaction from Brucie to a reasonable jibe from me. Nobody commenting on here who went to the game has said that we were lucky to win, but you twist comments to get your dig in. You could make a 5-0 win seem like a defeat. I think I must be getting to you. You can dish it out but you clearly can't take it.

I see you call me a "complete and utter imbecile" now. Last time it was "retarded". Lovely guy aren't you? I don't need to resort to insults, the nonsense you post speaks for itself.
Last edited by gullintwoplaces on 24 Aug 2013, 23:33, edited 4 times in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:To suggest we were lucky today is, of course, wrong. NTFC couldn't hit a cow's arse and that is nothing to do with luck, it's a lack of ability on their part. Their attempts weren't even close. I lost count of the number of chances (mainly headers) which rolled tamely past the post when hitting the target was easier. The one from the bloke from 5 yards when he missed the goal by 10 (he didn't know he was offside) was genuinely laugh out loud funny.
They have the best keeper in the division by some distance and it was he who kept it to 2-1. We gave a real lesson to NTFC in the second half and to suggest that luck was a deciding factor is hugely degrading, disparaging, unfair and disrespectful to the players and staff who crafted such an excellent win.

Matt.
agree with that matt re duke. probably too good for this league ala bobby.

sounded like in the 2nd half we played like real madrid. excellent.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

Gullscorer wrote:No bookings today.. :-D
Rene Howe doesn't play for us anymore :)
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Karl Hawley

Post by TufcHills »

We were brilliant 2nd half and if we didn't win would have been an injustice, 1st half we were still on the team bus and were terrible and they tore us apart down there right wing which in my opinion is due to Nicholson being past it and time for Cruise to step up, other than there goal they did nothing else and in the 2nd half I think we taught them a footballing lesson and Bodin was brilliant when he came on, Chappell took his chances brilliantly and everyone else looked so much sharper and aware and picked each other out brilliantly

Very deserved 1st win now let's build on it against Hartlepool at home next week
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I've seen their performance described as "the best we've played in a long, long time." As good as we were today, it was merely our best performance since Swindon, some few days ago.
Not quite sure what to make of this, but I'm sure it can't be a bad thing.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

TufcHills wrote:We were brilliant 2nd half and if we didn't win would have been an injustice, 1st half we were still on the team bus and were terrible and they tore us apart down there right wing which in my opinion is due to Nicholson being past it and time for Cruise to step up, other than there goal they did nothing else and in the 2nd half I think we taught them a footballing lesson and Bodin was brilliant when he came on, Chappell took his chances brilliantly and everyone else looked so much sharper and aware and picked each other out brilliantly

Very deserved 1st win now let's build on it against Hartlepool at home next week
Ask your mum for a thesaurus for Christmas, preferably a brilliant one. :~D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
TufcHills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Karl Hawley

Post by TufcHills »

I was warned before signing up I would get mocked for something I posted, at least I wasn't proved wrong
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

TufcHills wrote:I was warned before signing up I would get mocked for something I posted, at least I wasn't proved wrong
ANDY'S BAAAAACK!!!!!
The gulls are going up
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

how did Morris do today?
The gulls are going up
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullno4 wrote:how did Morris do today?
who cares?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Was unable to listen to the game today so did not hear the result until I heard football scores being read out. To be honest I feared the worst, so didn't seek a radio or score update, so I was delighted with that result. 2-1 away at Northampton is a great result whatever way you look at it.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Brucie bollocks alert !!

"Gullinwotplaces - You really never learn do you. Perhaps you ought to stop posting because when you do you just make yourself look like a complete and utter imbecile "

Pot Kettles Black !!!!

Usual rubbish from the king of the wind up merchants ...... A Torquay United supporter .... ??....do we need to take a vote on that ....??

I mean he has to be picky and moaning when when we WIN !! AAGGHHH ........This is league two !!! We win some we lose some. If you want perfection sod of to Manure .....oops did somebody already say that ???? !!
Last edited by Dutchgull on 25 Aug 2013, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

What a turnaround. Pitiful in the first half, very good in the second. Ferrarilover exaggerates about our performance - it was pleasing but hardly swaggering dominance.

Rice: Well done that man. Keep it up.8
Tonge: Rarely tested but looked solid.7
Downes: Key figure for us. Athletic, strong and no slouch.8
Pearce: Very capable and will improve yet. Vital 2nd half block to prevent a certain goal.7
Nico: Great in their half, a liability in ours. I genuinely hate to say it, but he's had his day.5
Cameron: Jury's out. Bottled a great chance by gently passing it into Duke's midriff.6
Mansell: As ever, limited in ability but unquestionable in commitment.7
Harding: Meh. Poor corners, mediocre passing, and every midfield header is a limp, undirected flick-on.6
Chapell: Anonymous for the first hour, but weren't they all? Two tremendous, composed finishes, and decent all-round play in the last 30 mins. Must now be a guaranteed starter.8
Hawley: Strange approach to headers, in that he takes a position and refuses to jump, preferring to put his shoulder into the defender. Stocky, mobile and skilled. Could turn out to be a very useful signing. Should have chinned the Cobblers player who was giving him grief at the substitution!7.5
Ball: Glimpses of quality, but not his day today.6

Bodin looked alright. Good left peg. He and Chappers ought to be our wingers.

Not sure quite how the match turned around so distinctly at HT, the wind wasn't THAT strong. Cobblers outclassed us in the first 45, and should have scored 2 or 3. They lost their mojo completely in the 2nd half, and allowed us time on the ball, which let us play decently.

Grounds for optimism.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great result but isn't there a pattern emerging here?

I think every match so far has seen us put in a poor opening half mitigated by a rally in the second. It may show character and resilience but it is not the mark of a team which is going to finish in the upper half of the division.

Just hope that the Hartlepool game can show that we can take the initiative at the outset and keep it through to the end.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Just seen the goals. Think Ball and Bodin deserve great credit for their parts in the respective goals, and Chappell looks hell of a player.