Northampton Town vs Torquay United 24/8/13

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Admin Edit.
Content Removed. (Abuse)
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

First game this season I have attended yesterday, and for once my blind optimism was well placed. Despite a very worrying first half showing, I was still (very) quietly confident at half time, particularly as I had picked up on how much the wind was affecting proceedings, which the more vocal around me seemingly had not.

That said, without doubt we did not apply ourselves to the situation well at all in the first half. Nicholson was very exposed, and whether or not that was a tactical failing, or down to the work rate of others somewhat, his ongoing (in)ability to deal with these situations he is presented with are a huge concern, and I find it difficult to see why Cruise hasn't been given a chance yet this year, after he did pretty well at the end of last season.

That said, in fairness to Nico, I thought he did very well in the 2nd half, fantastic positional sense, although was not put under the same sort of pressure as in the 1st.

The midfield pairing was also a worry in the 1st half,and the 2nd half performance did not remove these worries. Harding does give the ball away quite a bit, but was much improved after the break. Mansell didn't do a lot that I saw. At times I did wonder whether a better midfield partnership might be Lathrope and one of these two, with Damon sitting deeper and the other getting forward more. I'm sure we should and will persist, but am not sure about this pairing.

The only two players who came out of the first half with much credit were Rice, for a very good one on one stop, don't think he could be blamed for the goal as it was a wicked ball in with the wind, and Hawley, who held play up well and tried to get things going up top, with limited success.

In the second half, after another worrying 10 mins, it started to click. I think Hawley started this, but Ball and Chappell and to a lesser extent Bodin and Harding all linked up very well. Tonge and Nico joined the attack well at times also. Some of the football was fantastic for this level, and if we can make this a regular feature of our performances, then we will be much closer to the top of this league than the bottom. Northampton couldn't live with us in the last half hour, and that is extremely promising.

Pearce looked very impressive in the 2nd half, and Downes was decent after early mistakes. They were put under a lot of pressure in the 1st half, and their partnership looked shaky, but hopefully that was largely down to the conditions.

As I said, I think the wind did play a huge part, particularly in how much pressure we were under in the 1st half. However, if we can play the kind of football we played in the 2nd half, which the conditions wouldn't have given us the same level of advantage as they did Northampton in the 1st, we can do pretty well in this division.

A lot happier now I have seen for myself how we may fare this season. Just a shame I won't see another game until Cheltenham next month.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

gullno4 wrote:how did Morris do today?
Well, Super, I guess the answer to that is that GN4 cares, hence he asked the question.

He got involved, a lot of their better stuff in the first half went through him. He wasn't perfect by any stretch, but he wasn't terrible either. He wouldn't get in the team ahead of Chappell or Cameron (who needs to start running at people) and if we're replacing Harding with anyone, it needs to be Craig.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

TufcHills wrote:I was warned before signing up I would get mocked for something I posted, at least I wasn't proved wrong
I'm guessing you're a young person.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

The BBC, as usual...

Chapell won it when he latched on to Callum Ball's pass, went past defender Joe Widdowson and fired in.

Matt.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I can't pass too much comment on yesterday's game, as I didn't go, (the Herr Gruppenfuhrer had jobs around the house planned for me) :'( . I did the next best thing and listened on BBC Devon :~D

Anyway, there are highlights of the game on the Sky website,

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -2-torquay

What a counter attack by the boys for the 1st and fantastic strike for the 2nd.

Definitely a game of two halves. Imagine what we could do if we put in a full 90 minute performance.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

In today's Football League Paper Jordan Chappell is included in team of the day with top Boss being Alan Knill.
I've watched every fixture except Morecambe (that's Wise!) and we are clearly a team in progress.
Yesterday the first half performance can be put into the rubbish bin of history. Yes we were battling against the wind but we were dire. Easily we could have been 3 or 4 behind at the break.
The second half was, after the first 10 minutes, a completely different match. We totally dominated especially when Billy Boden came on. He helped inspire more attacking and I have to say Jordan Chappell (now our top scorer) slotted home two great goals especially the second with the outside of his right foot around the keeper.
Football is all about opinions but for what it's worth Martin Rice is proving to be a very competent keeper while Downes and Pearce are visibly improving as a pair match by match. Others on here don't seem to rate Harding but I thought he had his best match for us yesterday in a Torquay shirt.
I would also hope Cruise could be given a chance maybe in the JPT fixture against Portsmouth.
Can't make the Hartlepool game but I really do hope we can start positive and for the first time this season take the lead instead of chasing the game as we have done so far.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just thought i'd chuck in my ten penneth worth about the day seems as i'm over rehab and posting again (see popside for explanation should you be remotely interested). I've had more returns than the customer service desk at Matalan.

First of all, 22 quid to get in. Nearly had a bloody coronary at the ticket office given I had paid 2 pounds less only 5 months ago on our last visit. The ticket lady (that's NOT her real name, I think it was Carol) said that last season it was still £22 but if I got my ticket from Torquay in advance it was £20 and that is why I paid £20 last season. I explained to her that I paid on the day last season not in advance and I still paid £20 not £22 and she blanked me and made some odd noises. Anyway, I was fleeced end of.

Stood at the back step with the degenerates and gave my already crippled oesophagus a torrid afternoon. We made some noise and had a right old laugh once again. Away days are fab! Took some photos and even had time to nip into the nearby Sainsburys to purchase some comestibles and lotto tickets. Don't know why I friggin' bother. I haven't committed crimes or claimed benefits for a hundred years so I won't win.

Anyway, first half was ala Morecambe, sluggish, inept and toothless and in fact I actually thought Knill had secretly done a bunk and Ling was filling in temporarily. One wayward Hawley shot and a Downes header over the bar our only threat. Defensively we weren't too bad but the Cobblers soon discovered our weakness and succeeded in exploiting it. Attack the side Nico was on and get balls in the box once the Gulls stalwart had easily been brushed aside or bypassed due to his alarming loss of pace.

This became the tactic and Nico was given a torrid time, it was only a matter of time before our Northants counterparts got some joy from this and a long ball over the top had Nico scrambling to catch up with their winger who somehow contrived to whip over a superbly accurate cross right at the byeline with the outside of his boot which ended up with Blyth rising above Pearce and nodding past Rice. Not much Rice could have done and slightly disappointed with Pearce considering the amount of time the cross was in the air.

I did feel sorry for Nico as he wasn't given too much in the way of support and was constantly left exposed but he had a woeful first half compounded by him seemingly giving the ball to the opposition at every opportunity and any team with pace on the wings will simply rip him apart. I am happy to see how he progresses this season but I like others have my fears that perhaps his best days are now behind him and we cannot afford to be sentimental, if his worrying form continues then it may be time to give Cruise a chance.

Ok so we had seen the Mr Jekyll and now for the Mr Hyde. Mr Hyde showed up in the form of a passionate and blistering second half performance. They struggled to get a foothold in the game and we passed it well and moved forward with purpose. We seriously could have had 4 or 5 goals. The thing that struck me was at half time, under Ling we would have been 1-0 down at h/t and created nothing and I would have accepted that that was probably the way it would finish and we wouldn't create anything more. Under Knill we don't do that. We have goals and we have not yet failed to score in league 2 this season.

You've all seen Chappell's goals and they were executed to perfection, the second gave me the impression that the lad actually knew the ball was in before it had even left his boot it was so nonchalant and savoire faire. Unfazable. Quality. The yellow army were in ecstasy and it felt good.

The promising thing is we create chances and we have come from behind to get points in 3 of 4 games and although not ideal, it shows how much character this fledgling squad has and that can only bode well for the future.

Bodin was sub which I was pleased about and to be fair he did ok when he came on, nothing special apart from one sublime piece of skill knocking the ball past a defender and him running the other side. It came to nothing however. Ricey was great again, who IS this 'keeper?!! Harding is a concern. Far too similar to Mansell and nowhere near as good, he is quite lightweight for such a big lad and I've seen him in both away league games and he looks a bit pedestrian and games seem to pass him by. I've only seen 2 games though so it's just an observation. I'm not having a go. Nico was much improved second half but we weren't under so much pressure, Ball ran his socks of and he deserves a goal, it will come soon and i'm just so pleased for the lads after rescuing the game to give us a memorable win.

Oh and Matt, I did catch sight of you on the way out mate but you were talking to someone at the front next to the hoardings so I thought it rude to interrupt so just carried on and walked on out of the stadium, I would have acknowledged you if I had have seen you earlier in the ground. Did you end up getting a dog in the end, I meant to ask?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'm sure Billy also set up the second goal.

He's certainly credited with the assist.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Welcome back Andy. Seems your views on the game are quite similar to mine. Thought Harding did more than Mansell though personally.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

[quote="Scott Brehaut"]I'm sure Billy also set up the second goal.

He's certainly credited with the assist.[/quote]

Yes I know Scott. Like I said, he did ok but nothing special but I am very pleased he contributed positively to the team and as anyone stood near to me inside Sixfields will testify, I was heard applauding him, encouraging him and singing his name. Shock horro ;-) r.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Scott, sort these smiley issues out mate they're doing my nut in. Danke.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Try it now

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend