Nathan Craig

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

SBP wrote:I think you will find that Stanley didnt play in the final.
Oops, my mistake. Forgot his deal had already ended.

Stand by my second point though - if Craig struggled in a midfield 3 with two holding players, he'd hold even less of a hope in a 2.
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Captain

Post by Banging_Them_In »

Why can not the team train various formations and tactics to suit specific teams, weather conditions or game situations:

4.4.2 with 2 wingers and Harding/Manse

4.4.2 with 2 wingers and Craig/Manse

4.4.2 with 2 wingers and Harding/Craig

4.3.3 with Harding and Manse and Craig in midfield, and with various combinations of attack/wingers in advanced positions with the ability to switch 4.5.1 when required.

Look, why can we not try to get the players to be flexible in position and tactic, and not just learn to play more rigid formations with specific jobs, even in this division. We seem to think that the only way forward is to have a first eleven and then fringe players, but with the likes of Manse, Harding, and Craig we have options before and during the game, which is what we want and need, isn't it ? .......so has we gain some confidence and results might we not see Knill mixing it up, subtle changes here and there as the game suits ? :-D
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

If he and Yeoman are not near starting for Knill, I would like to see them both loaned out to as high a level as possible, to free up some wages for eg: Mozika.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't know where you think Mozika will play. If there's no place for Craig, there's no place for Mozika...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Sunnysideup wrote: The difference being, as a rule, that the "playmaker" (from OUR point of view recently Eunan, or Russell a bit earlier) is also capable of getting the ball back from the opposition. No one would class them as just workhorses or playmakers though.

As chunky says .

The opposite is also holds true, a "playmaker" should also be able to tackle and win the ball back.
agreed! :)

a professional footballer, playing in midfield especially, should be able to perform at least a minimum level of all the basic aspects of the game. to be a pro in whichever division is an exceptionally high standard and i can never understand it when a player is deemed unable to do certain basics, if they cant, then how the hell did they make it as a pro.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Is there just the remotest possibility that this lad just isn't very good? Or is it all a conspiracy that we can't find a place for Nathan Zidane-Messi?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't know where you think Mozika will play. If there's no place for Craig, there's no place for Mozika...

Matt.
I know you like Craig, Matt. My point essentially is that if he and Yeoman are destined to sit in the stands under Knill, then both may as well be loaned out both for game time and to free up wages. As for Mozika, well I doubt that'll happen - Labadie I'd prefer even more - but he is a six footer and a presence with a lot of play time under his belt at a higher level and can be described as follows:

"He is all about being aggressive and pressing and that is what we needed. That is my style and how I play the game so I like it."

I don't think we're comparing like for like here. Craig possesses a sweet left foot and can pick a good pass and switch play effectively. However, whilst it doesn't have to be solely about ball winning and breaking up play in that central role, Craig's skillset has not appeared to include breaking up play to a certain level, perhaps, that this Manager and the last have required. Others have also noted this.
Last edited by Rjc70 on 27 Aug 2013, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't know where you think Mozika will play. If there's no place for Craig, there's no place for Mozika...

Matt.
Mozika might be good enough to get in the team?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Matt you said this..With the ability and pace of our wide men, we need someone who can pick a pass to find their clever runs.The team with out a so called ball passer didn't seem to have a problem finding Jordan Chappel who scored twice, after all my old mate, you were there.

No where in the football rule book does it state you have have either one creative and one workman like midfielder or two workman like midfielders together in your team (4-4-2).

For me either can work, it all depends and the quailty of the players, Russel-Harding/Mansell...O'Kane-Harding/Mansell and then Craig-Harding /Mansell, yep I see the problem there.

Nathan Craig, bless his cotton socks will do his best to tackle back and take care of the dirty stuff, but alas isn't very good at that side of midfield play, and yes he can pick a pass and yes he can stick a ball into the box right on the money, however at best is in consistant.

I am not in know, however my gut feeling is, when his contract runs out he may well be on list of players making way for those deemed to be better.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fl gives a reasoned arguement but it does seem to boil down to Craig not being mobile enough to play in a central role in a two man midfield.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

chunkygull wrote:agreed! :)

a professional footballer, playing in midfield especially, should be able to perform at least a minimum level of all the basic aspects of the game. to be a pro in whichever division is an exceptionally high standard and i can never understand it when a player is deemed unable to do certain basics, if they cant, then how the hell did they make it as a pro.
Exactly. One would expect a certain minimum level of all round ability from a professional player which marks them out as better than, for example and no insult intended, Western League (or whatever its called now) players.

Too many people seem to forget that as a L2 team we will mostly have players that are L2 standard. They will have parts of their game which are good enough for a higher level. Equally, their all round game will not be good enough for a higher level otherwise they would be playing there (or stepping up soon, see Sharpe, Thomas, Elliot etc etc).

To use Manse (who is an excellent pro IMO) as an example, no one can fault his tackling to win possession and getting his foot in to spoil opposing attacks, working box to box and as we saw a couple of seasons ago getting in the right position to find the back of the net regularly. If he could also ping a pinpoint 30 yard pass all the time as well, he wouldnt be playing at this level, he'd be a couple of levels higher. Its all about compromises in L2 so we will have players who dont have all the weapons in their locker.

You could equally use Howe as another prime example. If his all round game was good enough (ie curbing his temper and upping his workrate) as his ability to finish at times, he would be in the Championship

The manager, rightly or wrongly depending on your outlook, has decided the way he wants his team to play, and if that means he wants his CMs to be primarily physical ball winners with a lesser emphasis on the ability to ping a long pass then so be it.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

To be fair Craig and Lathrope are decent players but if players like Mozika are available on a free I would be freeing up some wages for him.

You can argue Craig would or wouldn't work in our team but simply the one person with football knowledge and who sees his everyday in training doesn't like the look of him, doesn't want to play him.

If Craig was playing like Messi in training or pre season games then he would be playing he didn't and now he doesn't have a starting role. 4 games in you don't deserve to be dropped after a reasonable start.
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

He isn't playing as he is not good enough. Midfield in league 2 is more than just pinging few pretty long balls around. He hasn't the strength, awareness or mobility for it. If we played him plus Manse/Harding/Lathrope we would be over-run.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

exiledgull wrote:
You can argue Craig would or wouldn't work in our team but simply the one person with football knowledge and who sees his everyday in training doesn't like the look of him, doesn't want to play him.
The nail's head has been squarely hit.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

I'll admit I haven't seen a great deal of Nathan Craig, but I see it like this - Alan Knill has decided how he wants to play, and that is with a 442 formation. He has indicated that he won't change things too much in the early stages of the season. That Craig cannot even make the bench suggests that Knill believes others, namely Lathrope, more capable of doing the job he requires the midfielders to do than Craig, which can only mean that in training he is doing very little to convince Knill he is capable of filling the midfield role, or any other role in his team for that matter.

The Lathrope of the season before last could allow either Mansell or Harding more freedom within the current formation. I do have concerns that the two incumbents are too similar, but hold out hope they will improve performances as they play together more, and saw some small signs of this on Saturday.