Nathan Craig

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Early days I know, but Harding looks like a player that can't tackle or pass particularly well. Worryingly the Northampton forums would confirm this opinion.

Craig is a player who can't tackle particularly well, but can pass.

I know who I'd rather have in the centre of my midfield.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I don't see NC as the complete answer. The problem in my mind is that we don't have the right player to accompany him in centre mid.

AK wants some bulk and height in midfield (Harding) and also a box to box player (Mansell).

So, if he was paired with Manse we would line up with two very slight players in centre mid as well as one small but tricky winger (Chapple) and another winger (Bodin) who can't tackle to save his life. It would be madness.

So, could he replace Mansell? Yes, we might get some more creative passing but he is nowhere near as mobile as the captain and this would leave us exposed at the back.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It wouldn't though, would it! I don't know where you lot get the idea that we are somehow menacing or imposing in midfield just because we have Manse and Harding in there. Harding can't and/or won't tackle, he can't and/or won't pass to a yellow shirt, he can't and/or won't head the ball. If we put Craig in there, we have a bloke who, at worst, can't head or tackle, but can pass, so we're at least 33% better off.
Please, stop trying to convince us that Harding and Manse are the answer they're not, because neither of them does a great deal with any real ability. At least Craig brings something, anything to the party while not really being any worse than the present two at anything else.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

What about when Okane played in the middle with manse? All was well then!

I think the midfield pair should be Manse and Craig, Lathrope is a good backup to Manse, I just don't see Harding as worthwhile!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

O'Kane and Mansell only played together a few times in a central midfield of two and it didn't work - we had the terrible run under Ling like that in his first season. It only worked when Lathrope came in and it became a three with O'Kane playing the free role behind the lone striker.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Then lets do that, because at the moment, the only thing we know for sure is that Manse and Harding together doesn't work.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Exile is right - I remember vividly what happened when we had Manse and O'Kane playing together - we shipped goals until the holding player came in.

So we then go back to 4-5-1. It worked last time because we had Rene Howe. Are we really suggesting that Ball, Howley or Benyon could play the role of lone striker?

Sorry - I stick to my point that we don't have anyone at present who could realistically partner NC.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I would say Hawley is strong enough to play a lone striker in a 4-5-1 as long as it is not just lumping in long and hoping for the best, which to be fair it easn't in Ling's first season. However it clearly isn't the way AK wants to play and I don't think it is worth setting up a team to accommodate Craig in the same way it was for O'Kane.

I think it is pretty clear that AK's priority for this season is setting up a solid, organised side with most attacking from the flanks. Craig just does not offer the qualities that AK is looking for at this stage to fit those priorities and I think he will persist with Manse, Harding and maybe we'll see more of Lathrope if Harding doesn't improve, although Radio Devon were very positive about him in the opener against Wimbledon and he was a key part of a good team performance against Swindon.

I also think perhaps Craig is being over-egged on here - I saw him a couple of times last seaon and he was anonymous. I don't even think he played centre-mid in the welsh league did he? I thought he played out wide?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thing is yesterday, we had no problem creating goalscoring chances, should have won that game by 3 or more. So is midfield/team formation really that much of a problem?
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No the problem is obvious - the strikers are not scoring goals
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

forevertufc wrote:Thing is yesterday, we had no problem creating goalscoring chances, should have won that game by 3 or more. So is midfield/team formation really that much of a problem?
Exactly my thought (though I would also add the balls in from the flanks were pretty shocking all game). Central midfield wasnt the problem yesterday, it was the inability to finish and the inability to cross (reasonably) accurately.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Sadly I don't think we are ever going to see Craig in the middle while Knill is in charge. He is a very old fashioned English manager. It's all about pace out wide and the big man/little man combo up front. The middle of the park if for defending, not being creative.
If Craig was to play in the middle it would be best with Lathrope sitting in behind him and someone more like Jarvis on one wing to provide a little more cover. While we have quick but defensively deficient wide attackers we are not going to see Craig in the middle.
It simply isn't Knill's way.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

none of you know what's going on, it's really funny knowing what's happening when you lot blatantly haven't got a scooby! this is the last place on earth I would bother sharing information due to the nature of this forum and the way it's run! as for the 2 signings that are due today meh!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ggggg wrote:none of you know what's going on, it's really funny knowing what's happening when you lot blatantly haven't got a scooby! this is the last place on earth I would bother sharing information due to the nature of this forum and the way it's run! as for the 2 signings that are due today meh!
TROLL ALERT

and where has anyone said about us making 2 signing today? have I missed this somewhere?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ggggg
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ggggg »

Richinns wrote: TROLL ALERT

and where has anyone said about us making 2 signing today? have I missed this somewhere?
BELL END ALERT

I've just said it, that's where! meh!
so if you don't like someone or what they post they must be a troll! well the same applies to bell ends then, two can play that game!