Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Martin Rice

Post by Modgull »

I reckon its time to flush out all those cynics who for the last few years have been rubbishing MR as a second string keeper, never mind as a first team regular like this season.

His performances through both the PSFs and the early league and Cup games have been fantastic. Last night he had very little to do because of the excellent defence in front of him but pulled out a stunning save towards the end to keep the scores level. The rest of his game was secure and his distribution was so much better than Michael Poke demonstrated for much of last season.

Well done, sir, if only some of the rest of the squad could be out-performing expectations to the same degree!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Modgull wrote:I reckon its time to flush out all those cynics who for the last few years have been rubbishing MR as a second string keeper, never mind as a first team regular like this season.

His performances through both the PSFs and the early league and Cup games have been fantastic. Last night he had very little to do because of the excellent defence in front of him but pulled out a stunning save towards the end to keep the scores level. The rest of his game was secure and his distribution was so much better than Michael Poke demonstrated for much of last season.

Well done, sir, if only some of the rest of the squad could be out-performing expectations to the same degree!
If he's doing the blue bit, then the red bit is unfair.

Until this season, Ricey was a number two and quite rightly so. He was never the best goalkeeper at the club. You'll know, I'm sure, that I was never one of his detractors and it is nice that he is playing out of his skin, but let's not pretend that this is the same Martin Rice that we have all been watching, on and off, for the last few years. The boy has finally come good. I suspect it has a great deal to do with the manager showing some faith in him and not signing a replacement for Poke. He has been exceptional this year and is, probably, starring to look like he might be a better keeper than Pokey.

On a related subject, I was considering earlier and I think he has probably made fewer saves this season than any other keeper in L2. He's played well when called upon, I'm not knocking him, I just think that he had had remarkably little to do, especially considering he's playing in a team which has won just one game so far. Credit must also go to the defenders in front of him who (some more than others) are doing an excellent job of keeping all but the best attacks from getting to Ricey in the first place.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about Rice, I didn't really slate him or anything but was just resigned when he had to fill in for Poke last season and the start of this. How wrong I was and he has been superb this season and shown me what he really can do and he is beginning to get some consistency. There is another Gulls player who i'm still waiting to do what Rice has done and show me he is good enough but he has had about 50 games thus far and i'm still waiting. It's called getting your chance, taking it and not making any excuses which I admire in the bloke. Some other players would do well to take note of that.

Well done Ricey, you've proved one doubter completely wrong and so pleased for you and us too. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totaly agree , Matt. To say 'cynics' is unfair, football is a game of opinions, we all have them, managers, fans and pundits a like can only judge a player on his performances at any given time, and there has been plently of times were Martin Rice has been well off, in fact no were near in terms of performance levels.

To be fair Matt, Wimbledon home, and judging by what I have heard on the radio, in the early games he had more than enough to do, and was equal to everything thrown at him, yes these last couple of games the defence has come in to it's own and done a good job, however how much of that is down to Martin Rice, anyone who knows anything about goalkeeping will know, it's a large part of the keepers job to control the back four with good communication.

Fair play to Martin Rice, had his chance in professional football and blew it first time around, given a second chance, spent one and half seasons sat on the bench, can be soul destroying for a player, his attitude has been spot through out, and worked nuts off, clearly on both counts. Martin Rice should be held as a prime example not just to youth professionals and young professionals every where, got to keep it though, and right now Pokey must be wondering what he will have to do, to get his place back, because right now it's not a given.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Regarding the save in the OP, his positioning when the cross came in was absolutely appalling. Thankfully the header was straight at him though.

On the whole, he has been excellent but I hope that if/when a mistake does happen he doesn't let it faze him!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

really pleased for him.

as fellow posters maybe aware i was p155ed off with the abuse that he received.

it appears that his had work and endeavour have been rewarded.

i think nicho voted him POTS as he said that he was a "total professional" and knew how lucky he was to be a pro footballer.

long may it continue.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

During Martins second spell with United I think two things happened.

First Rice learnt a huge amount from Bobby Oleynik. What a great goalkeeper to understudy.

Secondly I am sure Kenny Veysey, a very modest but important coach, worked really hard to improve Rice. He is a very good shot stopper and his distribution has improved massively.

His attitude has been a big factor in his success. Well done Martin.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Player of the season thus far? I think so,,Two clean sheets, in 90mins, in the last two matches, his attitude has been great, really pleased for him.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Nobody trains harder than Martin Rice he completely deserves the recognition he is receiving this season and he is a top fella as well.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Made some great saves and I wouldn't drop him for Pokey when he gets back from injury if he continues the form he's shown at the start of this year. Thoroughly deserves any credit given to him, and I hope that if he does make a mistake, that the fans don't get back on his back.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We've not seen the best of him yet. He (and Pokey too for that matter) will only improve with the passing of time and with the excellent coaching at the club.

If he continues as he has been doing, who knows, come the end of the season we might see him move to a Championship club for a six figure fee, though it would be preferable to keep our best players if we manage to get promoted..!!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Without an in form Rice we could have had a torrid start, delighted to see him flourish as I am sure is AK
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I have seen him play twice this season; Oxford and Hartlepool. My word of caution would be that his decision making needs to improve. In both matches there were a couple of occasions when he dithered. But well done overall, it is great to see achievement through hard work.
TUST number 080
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes well done to Rice. But I have noticed the odd error creeping back into his game. Did anyone notice in the second half of the Hartlepool game when he hesitated and failed to come for a ball which was clearly his to get and put Downes into all sorts of trouble. Almost cost us a goal with that one.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Yes, that was one I was referring to.
TUST number 080