Rochdale v Torquay United - 14/9/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

I said back when it happened be careful what you wish for,so is knill the messiah, are we playing this attacking football that we were lead to believe. Hardly as we never bloody score !! I would take 1-0 wins under ling all day long compared to being in a relegation battle already. Is it better under knill ?? I'm to be convinced. I hope he can turn things around but how much longer do we persist with the same starting 11 week in week out ? I don't want to argue with anybody they are just my opinions what are yours.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

supergulls wrote:I said back when it happened be careful what you wish for,so is knill the messiah, are we playing this attacking football that we were lead to believe. Hardly as we never bloody score !! I would take 1-0 wins under ling all day long compared to being in a relegation battle already. Is it better under knill ?? I'm to be convinced. I hope he can turn things around but how much longer do we persist with the same starting 11 week in week out ? I don't want to argue with anybody they are just my opinions what are yours.
:goodpost:

My opinion is that I agree with you

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

A troll I believe is someone who constantly belittles and antagonises an individual online and I believe that many negative comments by you are aimed at me. By all means counter my points by making points of your own to say why you believe why x I have said is wrong or y is wrong but not the way you direct posts to me at the minute. By and large all the effing and blinding I do on this site is aimed at TUFC not people on here. I have sworn and been mildly abusive to some posters on here but not without reason, I wouldn't just belittle someones opinion just because I may have supported the club for 40 years, that's irrelevant.

I am sorry for accusing you trolling but maybe your future responses to my posts may begin with something like, "so why do you think that Andy?" OR "why are you so aggressive towards Knill Andy?" and then I can answer you properly and respectfully, you don't have to agree, you can say you think i'm talking rubbish because of x y or z and I can take that. It's all about trying to treat everyone as equals regardless of our backgrounds or history in supporting the Gulls.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

hmm really clever that....and things like this

that is just asking for a venomous response and causes upset which is what trolls like to do.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Anyway, i'm not responsible for what you post so I move on and just to say it was another bad day all round for me. I'll take Nicks advice and go and do the 4 mile round trip on foot to my local shop to get some ale as I have no car. I'll try and chillax and keep it real on here as best I can.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I don't think it's as simple as choosing between winning 1-0 under Ling or playing attacking (and currently losing) football under Knill. What went on last season meant Ling's position was quite simply untenable - whether you liked his style of play or not. I don't think it's particularly helpful to now use that as a stick to beat Knill with.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Clearly Knill has other ideas. I get that he sees them in training everyday etc etc, but when the players are clearly not performing on the pitch when it matters, surely he should have the balls to change things around a bit.
Instead of getting Craig to change his game, for example, why doesn't he play to HIS strengths and change formation to suit?

I'm not saying I have the answer, but it also doesn't seem like Knill has it at the moment either.

It's too early to start worrying about relegation, I accept that, but surely, several games in to the season, it's time to shake things up if plan A isn't working....
Definitely need to make changes. Surely anyone who watches football can see that 4-4-2 has largely had it's day, and teams/managers/players need to adapt to the modern game and the opposition. Sure the formation can work on occasion, but not against a growing number of teams/set-ups.

As for players, changes are needed, surely we don't need to wait 10 games to show flexibility, a vital attribute across all workplaces which should be ever present.

Still, at least it sounds as if we were better than last week. First home win next week. I'm 100% so far this year, and will be down next week barring some Andy-esque transport issues.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh and as for 'I've gotta type something, I've gotta type something' . It is my personality and there is no way in this world I am going to apologise to anyone for that. You don't type lots so perhaps I can ridicule you?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I have been out all afternoon watching enjoyable local football (which is where I will be next Saturday as well)
I havn't heard any reports on the game but guess we played Hawley and Ball up front who havn't scored again.
Perhaps we should get Tisdale in - at least one of the devon clubs has a proper manager.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: :goodpost:

My opinion is that I agree with you
this is the thing that concerns me.

not changing things when they are not working is a sign of an ego, bloody mindedness, a stubbornness when wrong or a complete and total lack of having a bloody clue.

im not a fan of major squad rotation or resting players or changing the side for the sake of it, but to say give it 10 games or so to see what happens is ridiculous, some changes have to be made and tweaking needs to be done now. we all knew today would virtually be the same old 11.

if things need changing after one half of football then good managers do it. if the first choice players arent doing it then ego should take a back seat, a manager should admit to himself the first selection was wrong and then they should trust in players brought in to do their job.
Last edited by chunkygull on 14 Sep 2013, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Made the mistake once before as afan of jumping down the throat of a TUFC manager to early, not going to make the same mistake again, what ever your opinion on Knill, it really is to early to say one way or another.

No idea how todays match has gone so will not make any comment there. However what I will say is, next week is a massive test of Knill's management.

We all know about McGlashen, Knill should aswell, Nico love the bloke to bits, however if he were a horse he would be dog food or on self as beef, Cruise is an obvious choice next week, even though I ma not about Craig, to be honest right now we seem to have nothing to lose, worth a try atleast.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Our problem lies with the sharp end though. Sounded like we created chances today, the same as against Hartlepool (and Oxford) but just didnt have anyone to put them away.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I see Arsenals new midfielder needed several games to bed in today ;-)
This will be the first and last time in his career that Ben Harding is compared with Mesut Ozil

(Chose our only new midfielder as a fair comparative)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

hmmmmmmmmm,,,, I'd like to hear AK explanation of that one the subs I mean.

I'd also like to know his/there plan, I'm struggling with this 10 game plan
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Andy
You can check my posts but I am sure that today is only the second comment I have ever made directly about your posts. The first was when I said that I was fed up of you constantly going on about Billy Bodin. I said it was boring That caused you to disappear for weeks and today I reacted to your comment regarding your thoughts of Knill being relieved of his duties.

I apologise if I have reacted to your posts in a way that upsets you

I am not belittling anyone when I say that I have supported Torquay for forty years. If you read what I have said I am merely pointing out that I have seen this all before and many times !! I am not having a go at you or anyone else. I am just stating my point of view !!
I think its great that someone like yourself who is not from the Bay supports us. Just as I am amazed at the Dutch Norwegians and Germans who do the same !

Anyway I hope you get your car sorted out and your day gets better !!

:) :)