Torquay United V Cheltenham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wivelgull - enjoy the match. I will look forward to your report on the game afterwards, as yours will be one of the few realistic viewpoints on the game.
As for some of the other idiotic postings on this thread - they are not worthy of a reply.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well as your reply comes directly after my post then i'll presume it's not one of the idiotic ones Brucie! :) :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

glad theyve not got pack anymore, but i do fear that mcglashen is gonna ruin micho, and they'll run out hadnsome winners 0-2
still keeping the faith
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

got the feeling of a 1-1 today. Not sure about comments that Chapells end product is great... awful crossing. I think Mansell and Harding are the weakest link. Put Jos Labadie and Craig Stanley(on his form for us on loan) in there and we'd be a hell of a lot better. Yes the wingers are poor with delivery, but the ball is not getting to them quick enough or at all! Cruise deserves a run of games, he maybe defensively weak but is excellent on the ball, and can get down the line and cross well.

Knill needs at least til christmas to get things going, obviously if we lost all our games there would be a problem, but the guy kept us in the league and clearly has good ideas and if we believe in him, he will get things right. He did with Bury. Hopefully Mozika signs and another centre mid, I dont think Lathrope is quite up to it, and although Nathan Craig has passing and dead ball ability above this division, he is not at all defensively good enough or quick enough and does not make the time he needs on the ball, like really good players can, Alex Russell for example.

I think Rene would of been ideal for this team holding the ball up, i think thats what this team really needs, the ball doesnt stick up front . Anyway I think people are getting way too negative already, lets have some faith in Knill and Brass.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

yaaayyy, im going, just found out i can go. 2-1 to torquay (ever the optimist), chapell, hawley.

going on the pop today, please singers lets get the place rockin'. if i can make a request, can we have a few renditions of "you are my torquay" (sunshine). :)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Not sure about comments that Chapells end product is great.

I actually said that he generally delivers and was comparing him to Bodin in that respect. I didn't say his end product was great, he's managed more goals (than Bodin has in about a season) and that he generally looks lively and tries to push on.
Yes the wingers are poor with delivery
This is because most of them aren't good enough IMO and also because there is a total lack of movement ahead of them for them to aim at. Chappell gets stuck in and gets involved and yes he will make incorrect decisions and poor passes but he will get a bit of success and few goals as he is persistent and not afraid to attack the space. If we are talking about poor delivery than look no further than Harding who couldn't even kick a dead ball into a specific area at Fleetwood, corners and free kicks totally wasted and we can't afford that especially from a player who gives us precious little else.

Knill needs at least til christmas to get things going

No, this is incorrect IMO. Things should be beginning to take some shape now and we should be seeing areas where we can say 'yep, that seems to be working well and can only improve'. The defence possibly but all other areas of the pitch we look totally disjointed. If a manager needs almost 5 months to try and 'get things going' then I would question his ability massively. Sure we won't be the end product but we should be seeing gradual improvements and strong cohesive team partnerships being formed. We aren't yet but maybe at Christmas. :)
Nathan Craig has passing and dead ball ability above this division,
which is why he should be in the 11 as we've no f*cker else anyway.
he is not at all defensively good enough or quick enough
it matters not if we've got Mansell and / or Lathrope in there to do the dirty work.
I think Rene would of been ideal for this team holding the ball up, i think thats what this team really needs, the ball doesnt stick up front

I don't see a great deal of difference between what Hawley does and what Rene did. Both are accomplished finishers who have played at a higher level struggling for chances due to the way we play and our crap midfield. Hawley is as strong as an ox, holds the ball up well but he needs to be running onto through balls not battling against 3 defenders 30 yards from goal so Rene or Karl, it doesn't really matter because they are the same and there is still no movement from them. In part to the way we play, we aren't aggressive enough.
Anyway I think people are getting way too negative already, lets have some faith in Knill and Brass.
Some people are getting way too negative already I agree, I've seen nothing to suggest we are any better than last season in terms of squad and I can largely accept that because we have no cash for players but is then imperative for the manager to pick his best 11 and get that extra mile out of them, I believe attacking and being energetic and positive on the pitch regardless of how good you are breeds confidence and happiness even in defeat. We generally have no positives to take from our results this season apart from the 2nd half at Northampton.

Some people are right to be a bit negative as we expected a little bit better but we've fed utter boll*cks again and I would like a few sensible decisions to be made by the gaffer and then we can see if we are ready to start climbing the table.

I have faith in Knill to keep us in the division, I don't have faith in Knill getting us anywhere near getting out of the division but I nowhere near expected that in a million years. I just expect a better standard of football which I though couldn't get any worse than Ling and for the most part what I have seen it is. That is why I am being negative because I am very frustrated in watching footballers who look like they are being coached to go through the motions.

Now where did I put that voodoo squirrel doll?

Oh and I like this 'Matt style' of replying to posts by using quotes, although i'm sh*t at it and don't make any sense! :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I keep reading various supporters comments regarding Nathan Craig and his defensive capabilities.
Totally disagree with people knocking him . Whenever he played last season it was mainly in wide positions, which his not his normal position. I cant remember him making any glaring defensive errors. I am not even sure if he has ever been selected to play in the middle.

He needs a run of games in the middle and then we can make judgement of his defensive game.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Bodin to score a 'worldie' today (wording chosen for chunkygull). Visualised him lobbing the 'keeper on the volley. We shall see.

Going for a win, 2-1 or 3-1. We score first for once, get pegged back, but the downbeat mode is lifted by Billy coming good.

The above are opinions at the time of writing, which will loosely translated be enshrined as facts by 5pm.

Woke up feeling good this morning. Actually, woke up wondering where the hell I was, but worked out I was in Devon and have been feeling good since.

COYY!
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Just got my programme only to discover deadman is in charge. Might as well award a 0-3 result already.
The original taunton_gull!!!
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

taunton_gull wrote:Just got my programme only to discover deadman is in charge. Might as well award a 0-3 result already.
Just done the same and came on here to post something similar - positivity of earlier slowly draining away.

Why do I always attend games this idiot is officiating?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Agree, this bloke is a clown, an imbecile, incompetent, a megalomaniac and just for good measure - a penis.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Agree, this bloke is a clown, an imbecile, incompetent, a megalomaniac and just for good measure - a penis.
:goodpost:
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Cruise in for nicho.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

taunton_gull wrote:Cruise in for nicho.
Is this the only change TG?
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Rice, tonge, Pearce, downes, cruise, chapell, manse,Harding, bodin, Hawley, ball