Torquay United V Cheltenham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Jerry, you're absolutely right, their bloke is clearly level with Pearce when the ball is played. The whole ground, their radio, our radio and their players all got it wrong. It's an odd thing, he looked so very clearly offside when we saw it live.

Also, a word for the Football League Show...

Torquay United FC, its players, directors, staff and fans would like to apologise for whatever it was they did to piss you off. We were suspicious, but not certain, that you were mad at us for something. However, that belief was confirmed last night when, despite our participating in a match featuring 6 goals (joint most in the FL), some quality football, some element of local rivalry and plenty of entertainment, you still chose to put us on dead last. Games shown before us included scunthorpe's hugely dull 1-0 win over Plymouth Argyle and Fleetwood's grossly uninspiring 1-0 trudgefest against Portsmouth.

Matt.
I was going to post about this myself Matt but forgot. I fell asleep during the Blackpool highlights and when I woke up Tranmere were on! I watched the show in full this morning and couldn't believe we were last. Someone at the tv companies need a kick up the sphincter if you ask me! :@
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

ferrarilover wrote:Jerry, you're absolutely right, their bloke is clearly level with Pearce when the ball is played. The whole ground, their radio, our radio and their players all got it wrong. It's an odd thing, he looked so very clearly offside when we saw it live.

Torquay United FC, its players, directors, staff and fans would like to apologise for whatever it was they did to piss you off. We were suspicious, but not certain, that you were mad at us for something. However, that belief was confirmed last night when, despite our participating in a match featuring 6 goals (joint most in the FL), some quality football, some element of local rivalry and plenty of entertainment, you still chose to put us on dead last. Games shown before us included scunthorpe's hugely dull 1-0 win over Plymouth Argyle and Fleetwood's grossly uninspiring 1-0 trudgefest against Portsmouth.

Matt.
Absolutely right I stay up to watch some boring games then ours comes on last!! And ours even with more goals felt shorter also the gulls player highlights were shorter than usual. I wasn't at the match but this seems wrong
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Matt.
Haven't seen this yet as just back to Kent. From memory, don't they show the matches in order of league position - ie the higher the position of one of the competing teams means the match is shown earlier in the show, unless of course it is featured (like Hartlepool v Accrington last week I believe).

Thoughts on the game tomorrow, as now need to sleep
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

FavGull wrote:Haven't seen this yet as just back to Kent. From memory, don't they show the matches in order of league position - ie the higher the position of one of the competing teams means the match is shown earlier in the show, unless of course it is featured (like Hartlepool v Accrington last week I believe).

Thoughts on the game tomorrow, as now need to sleep
Indeed, thats exactly how they sort the running order. Should be three matches on after us next week..
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

WE WON 4-2!! HURRAY!! IT HAPPENED AND WE GOT 3 POINTS!!! WELL DONE ALL!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Forever Dave is correct, it is only one game and we can argue until the cows come home what we beat out there today. Some may say that we've only beaten 2 sides that are seriously struggling and look like they are in the sh*t but I like to think that every game is a tough one and so it is irrelevant. It is what it is, a home win and I don't really want members to come on saying that they were right to be positive and others like myself were wrong to be negative. What if we get hammered at Newport? Can I then come on and do vice versa?

Dave is right to say that if today is a sign how the team are going to develop then it is all good but I am not embarrassed for not being very happy at what I've witnessed so far and anybody who formed a negative opinion generally based on the first 7 games shouldn't be embarrassed either. I'm not having a go at you Dave, just that it is one game where we played ok and won. I want Harding to improve but it was just that up to this point he has been poor and I personally was only commenting on this and not that he was a sh*t player full stop. If i'd have said that Harding was crap and will not get better then fair enough, if i'd have said that the team won't improve under Knill then yes i'd be embarrassed about both statements but this wasn't the case.

The annoying thing is the fans who keep quiet and don't pass comment on the poor results and performance and then when a game like today comes around they tell us all that we should have kept the faith and we are stupid for being negative.
No worries Andy. You will not find diss-agreeing with much of what you say above, to me is about honesty, correct if the team or a player has been poor then yes, come out and say it, on the other hand if the team or a players has had a good game come out and say it.

I did not mean to suggest that anyone should be embarrassed for either having or expressing their opinions, trust there has plently that I have both seen and heard this season that personaly as a fan I am not happy about.

I was suggesting that some should be embarrassed with the strengt of their statements and with how early into Alan Knill's reign as TUFC manager they have made those statements, I said a number of times do not write off either AK or Ben Harding, some times it can take a few games to settle, some managers/players can take longer, read some match reports that suggested there were signs at Rochdale things were begining to click, whilst Saturday was by means perfect again there were more than a few signs it's all coming together, but of course that could be a false dawn, we will see.

And what I mean by strong statements, was the suggestion that AK'S failure to hold on to such great players as Morris, Oastler and Jarvis, didn't have the ability to train up Taylor as a coach, who was so good he was snapped up by Plymouth U18'S, also his (AK) famed contacts were non exsistant .

Well these non-exsistant contacts brought us Ball. Hawley and Chappell, oops.Just imagine if we had Stevens, Jarvis and Howe surely we would have won 4.2 or would we ? Also brought us Tonge who was 1.v.1 against McGlashan most of the game, who got no joy against Tonge , so they moved him over and put him up against Cruise. Now only if we had Oastler.v.McGlashan.
Formerly known as forevertufc
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:It's bloody quiet out there tonight! Come on, we've just won 4-2!! :scarf:

It's amazing how when we lose the site gets clogged up with posts!
Torquay fans thrive on misery. If we ever got promoted above League 1 I don't know what we'd do with ourselves.

Brucie and wivelgull would probably self-combust in apoplectic rage.

*starts cheering for back-to-back promotions*
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

i'm well chuffed, the highlights on the football league show and sky showed a little clip at the beginning of gilbert doing his dance to surfin' bird (bird is the word). :-D

he has definitely got to do it before every home game now! :nod:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

forevertufc wrote: No worries Andy. You will not find diss-agreeing with much of what you say above, to me is about honesty, correct if the team or a player has been poor then yes, come out and say it, on the other hand if the team or a players has had a good game come out and say it.

I did not mean to suggest that anyone should be embarrassed for either having or expressing their opinions, trust there has plently that I have both seen and heard this season that personaly as a fan I am not happy about.

I was suggesting that some should be embarrassed with the strengt of their statements and with how early into Alan Knill's reign as TUFC manager they have made those statements, I said a number of times do not write off either AK or Ben Harding, some times it can take a few games to settle, some managers/players can take longer, read some match reports that suggested there were signs at Rochdale things were begining to click, whilst Saturday was by means perfect again there were more than a few signs it's all coming together, but of course that could be a false dawn, we will see.

And what I mean by strong statements, was the suggestion that AK'S failure to hold on to such great players as Morris, Oastler and Jarvis, didn't have the ability to train up Taylor as a coach, who was so good he was snapped up by Plymouth U18'S, also his (AK) famed contacts were non exsistant .

Well these non-exsistant contacts brought us Ball. Hawley and Chappell, oops.Just imagine if we had Stevens, Jarvis and Howe surely we would have won 4.2 or would we ? Also brought us Tonge who was 1.v.1 against McGlashan most of the game, who got no joy against Tonge , so they moved him over and put him up against Cruise. Now only if we had Oastler.v.McGlashan.
Well I suppose that after a 4-2 home win against a team that are currently very poor indeed, you are entitled to believe that Knill is as good as Alex Ferguson & his wonderful contacts have enabled him to sign world class players. My opinion is that Knill is a poor manager with limited ability, few contacts, & needs 10 games to decide if he is selecting his best players. I don't think his team is as good as Lings team of last season, but we will just have to see won't we?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Mr. Chunkygull. This is the first time that GILBERT has been seen nationally, and he didn't let us down. But, Mr. Candy, THIS GILBERT MUST BE RETAINED; he knows how to rock'n'roll, which is a vital characteristic in a GILBERT.
The 'Bird's the Word' dance will catch on IF it is performed regularly (that is, at very home match), after all, millions have seen it and the supporters of TUFC are now aware of it.
So, Mr. Candy, keep this GILBERT on.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

Am I the only one who wasn't so keen on Gilbert appearance, seemed a bit tacky, silly and I think my view is shared by others. However if others like it, keep it going just my opinion
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

wodger of awabia wrote: Well I suppose that after a 4-2 home win against a team that are currently very poor indeed, you are entitled to believe that Knill is as good as Alex Ferguson & his wonderful contacts have enabled him to sign world class players. My opinion is that Knill is a poor manager with limited ability, few contacts, & needs 10 games to decide if he is selecting his best players. I don't think his team is as good as Lings team of last season, but we will just have to see won't we?
Who thinks or would think that ? Bit patronizing :B
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Me
:na: :na: :na:
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

I'm referring to the first 2 lines. The rest is just repetition !
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

A good weekend was indeed had, even if it was a struggle to get back into the working week today. This was in part due to an extended journey home yesterday, including a impromptu diversion across north east Hampshire to avoid an accident on the M3. I had hoped never to go back to Aldershot after February's debacle, but drove past the ground last night.

To the game on Saturday. Well I actually didn't think we played that well, certainly not in the first half. Both Ball's goals had more than an element of luck about them (but fair play, a goal is a goal), and I thought our midfield was again ineffective, and our strikers, Hawley in particular, weren't making things happen against a poor Cheltenham side. The wingers both did quite well, and we looked reasonably comfortable at the back, Tonge impressed me as did Pearce, who despite a couple of mistakes looked as if he had the potential to grow into a dominating centre back at this level.

It is quite possible however that my feelings on the first half performance were overly influenced by the lack of atmosphere. It was my first trip to Plainmoor this season, but that was the worst atmosphere I have experienced by some distance at the ground. And according to others it has improved! The second half was better, but let's not kid ourselves it was still poor. Don't want to sound too negative, and I will try to be constructive on the atmosphere thread.

The second half performance was better. Hawley took his goal very nicely and we moved on well from there. Chappell was very good after the break and Harding did much better also. Go on then, i'll do it again, his performance was similar to that of Mesut Ozil yesterday. Err... Perhaps not, but he definitely did ok. Mansell did worry me though, I thought he was poor, giving the ball away far too often. The back 5 all emerged with credit, but Cheltenham were very poor. I can only imagine how bad Hartlepool must have been based on the comments.

I think Benyon probably deserves a start, as despite scoring 3 between them, I wasn't convinced by our strike partnership. I thought Hawley did very well against Northampton, but it didn't seem to happen for him here. And as for Ball, he did ok and hopefully the confidence from this game will help him, but I'm still to be convinced.

Pearce at the back impresses me a lot. I think we have the makings of a real player there. His second half performance was commanding, and I think he was unlucky with their goal. Cruise in for Nicho, just read what everyone has been saying for how many months now. Downes didn't always look comfortable, but didn't let us down. And Tonge hardly put a foot wrong, a worthy choice for man of the match, but it should have gone to Chappell in my opinion.

Bodin faded a bit for me, but was in the game early and worked hard. Had a go at hitting his worldie for me with about 8 minutes to go. And finally Rice, one great save, came off his line quite well, did what he.needed to in this game.

Final word for Deadman, that was the best game he's had that I have seen, but that really wasn't difficult (I have seen 3 previous, and he was atrocious in all of them). He did ok, was still a little pedantic, but didn't get anything seriously wrong. Even the 'offside' - which I couldn't possibly see from the other end of the pop, but sounds like he was on, so why did we stop? - couldn't be pinned on him.

And thanks again Gilbert for your pre-game antics, most entertaining!

See you at Wycombe!