Newport v Torquay United. 28/09/2013

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Hi ncfc1

Welcome to the site.

We like you lot cos you beat the rabble down from the road at the weekend, but don't expect us to go easy on you after our 1 game unbeaten streak!

How is Zeb settling in?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Captain

Post by Banging_Them_In »

ncfc1 wrote: Caerleon is only a short drive away and has lots of choice.
...Caerleon ? Is this where the Godfather was from ?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I was apoplectic when I saw the headline: 'Newport County give under-sixties free entry'.

Then I put my reading glasses on...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I heard that to create atmosphere at Newport's ground they take the covers off the surrounding sewers...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gloster, the canal you mentioned: I heard they've been adding fluoride to the water there. The fish are as mangy as ever they were, but you should see them when they smile...!!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

When we played them in the FA Trophy we had a few drinks in the town centre, really friendly people, even got invited back to one for a birthday party with buffet.

Pubs near the ground were a bit more difficult. The police weren't letting away fans in the supporters club and said, rather unhelpfully "there's a few pubs on the estate but you probably won't come back alive. Why not go and the watch the kids on the vevelodrome, they do coffee."

Feck that we thought, it's a nightmare watching the gulls sober, so went for a wander. We found a cracking cricket club right near the ground selling cheap pints and another friendly welcome. Can't do the trip this year but would definitely recommend it.

Zebs will probably score against us, and a draw would be a good result.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Gullscorer wrote:Gloster, not saying your opening post is long, but is it available on Kindle..?? :)

Sorry Guys. I suppose I must take the blame for Andy's incredibly long posts too as I was doing it long before and dont seem to know when to shut up,I just love writing dribble. Oops sorry i mean drivel. (wife says I dribble too much when writing). Mind you I have heard a rumour that Steven Speilburg is thinking of doing the film. I retain films rights of course.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Gullscorer wrote:Gloster, the canal you mentioned: I heard they've been adding fluoride to the water there. The fish are as mangy as ever they were, but you should see them when they smile...!!
So I heard. In fact when they smile they are more inviting than the local girls. :lol: I heard canal no.5 does wonders on a night out.

Oh How long have I had to wait for that opportunity for a joke :lol:

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Glostergull wrote: So I heard. In fact when they smile they are more inviting than the local girls. :lol: I heard canal no.5 does wonders on a night out.
Oh How long have I had to wait for that opportunity for a joke :lol:
I'm sure that's parfum de l'eau and is taken directly from the canal. When the wind blows NNE I could swear I smell it in Exeter... ;-)
Last edited by Gullscorer on 24 Sep 2013, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
ncfc1
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: None

Post by ncfc1 »

DevonYellow wrote:When we played them in the FA Trophy we had a few drinks in the town centre, really friendly people, even got invited back to one for a birthday party with buffet.

Pubs near the ground were a bit more difficult. The police weren't letting away fans in the supporters club and said, rather unhelpfully "there's a few pubs on the estate but you probably won't come back alive. Why not go and the watch the kids on the vevelodrome, they do coffee."

Feck that we thought, it's a nightmare watching the gulls sober, so went for a wander. We found a cracking cricket club right near the ground selling cheap pints and another friendly welcome. Can't do the trip this year but would definitely recommend it.

Zebs will probably score against us, and a draw would be a good result.
Hi DevonYellow

Yes, the Cricket Club is superb and very welcoming and the Velodrome is also a good shout if you want a cafe type environment. However, on this occasion I wouldn't suggest you use either since we now play at a completely different venue.

As for the questions regarding Zeb, he has settled in well and is currently top scorer with 4. Became popular very quickly and doing nothing to diminish that.

Looking forward to the game, not confident as we are still 'adjusting' and could be said to be a little naive sometimes. Glad you appreciated our win at Exeter almost as much as we did!

Have a safe trip.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Not sure where to put this but Nico is in the team for today's development game V Yeovil- does this mean the end for his starts in the first team and the rise for Cruise? Good decision I believe.

We also have a trialist at right back too.
-------
As for this game saturday, 2-0 win for us.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Information for those going to Newport

I have been informed by a local who lives just behind the railway station that there is a pub that he would recomend to avoid. It is on the main road leading up the the bridge over the Usk just beyond the Y junction with Maindee road, It has a football and sport flavour but only for locaLs and the local yoof have a habit of kicking off.

For those who are worried about parking. You do have the option of stopping off at a railway station before Newport and parking there and then taking the train in from there. Currently there are 4 optional stations you can use. Caldicot and Severn tunnel Junction on the Welsh side. Or Filton Abbey Wood or Patchway on the Bristol Side.
There is a good service from Bristol to Newport and your train fare is offset by saving the toll on the bridge. plus fuel for getting from Bristol to Newport. which could amount to another £5 The toll is currently £6.20 so save £11.20 and spend £8.90 on a cheap day return from Patchway to Newport. I am sure it's there is no charge to park around Patchway station. I chose Patchway because You don't have to pay to park. There are trains from there to Newport at 11:19. 11:50. 12:19. 12:50. 13:19. These services take around 1 hour 15 mins to get there. except for the 11:50 service which only takes 59 mins. I assume it misses out Severn Tunnel Junction. The last service mentioned. `13:19 gets into Newport at 14:34 which gives you plenty of time to walk to Rodney parade.

bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

If going by train the line is shut from bristol to Newport, a bus replacment service will operate between bristol parkway and Newport.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Oh. Ain't that just typical. Why do they insists on doing this at the same time every damned year.