Newport v Torquay United. 28/09/2013

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

yellowmonkey wrote: Ok so when do you say it's time for new manager? When we fighting relegation and only a handful of games left?
Get your cheque book out then.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

yellowmonkey wrote: Ok so when do you say it's time for new manager? When we fighting relegation and only a handful of games left?
No more stupid than 10 games into a new season
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

I do every week I attend, and its not just 10 games in he was in charge for the remainder of last season
Last edited by yellowmonkey on 28 Sep 2013, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

FT

Can we loan in a centre-half please? Obviously Knill doesn't fancy Deaman.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I've been listening to the Radio Devon commentary by Steve Breed who's a fine fellow but must be one of the worst commentators I've ever heard. Although he certainly gives us much more detailed information about the action in the game than other commentators, he negates this with an irritating habit of finishing nearly every phrase by increasing the pitch of his voice on the last syllable. If Steve could listen to a recording of his commentary then try to do something about this problem, then he could be a reasonably good commentator. But as of now I'd rather listen to Julian Gaunt..!!
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

I love is commentary, no stuttering and talks about the game but always get me hyped when we dont actually score
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

yellowmonkey wrote:I do every week I attend, and its not just 10 games in he was in charge for the remainder of last season
10 games after being able to assemble his own squad - chopping and changing managers is just sticking plasters. As long as we are not in a desperate relegation situation I'd give him at least 18 months - give the guy the chance to try and build something properly and have the team playing the way he wants them too.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellowmonkey »

He's had a whole summer to assemble his squad with a larger budget than some of the more succesful teams in our division.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Gullscorer wrote:I've been listening to the Radio Devon commentary by Steve Breed who's a fine fellow but must be one of the worst commentators I've ever heard. Although he certainly gives us much more detailed information about the action in the game than other commentators, he negates this with an irritating habit of finishing nearly every phrase by increasing the pitch of his voice on the last syllable. If Steve could listen to a recording of his commentary then try to do something about this problem, then he could be a reasonably good commentator. But as of now I'd rather listen to Julian Gaunt..!!
I find it exhausting to listen to - he gets so excited, it sounds like one of the teams is on the verge of scoring virtually every minute when I'm sure in reality the ball is bouncing around in the certain circle. Each time a player has the ball he repeats there name - "Mansell... Mansell to Lathrope.. Lathrope goes forward.. Lathrope... Lathrope... Lathrope passes to Bodin..Bodin..Bodin... etc etc. I think its commentary in the style of championship manager.

Good on the guy though - don't want to criticise too much, I'm sure I'd be awful
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Never mind, we're still in among the big clubs, Argyle, Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers, all on 9 points... :)
Five points away from the play-offs :)
and five points away from the relegation places... :(
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

yellowmonkey wrote:He's had a whole summer to assemble his squad with a larger budget than some of the more succesful teams in our division.
And the squad doesn't look to bad - Tonge, Pearce, Chappell and Hawley all look to be excellent signings. Harding on paper looked good but has not fired yet, while Cameron is clearly a prospect for the future. Give the guy time to let the team settle and get them playing his way - it takes more than 10 games.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellowmonkey »

Think we should get Judy Spires to commentate, I love Judy <3 <3 <3 <3
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

Be careful what you wish for, leave it to long and then when we are in a relegation dogfight its to late and he might not be as lucky as last season...........but i do agree in some respects you cant just keep changing managers.........
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

yellowmonkey wrote:He's had a whole summer to assemble his squad with a larger budget than some of the more succesful teams in our division.
Budget what budget ? Get real
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

To be honest you on paper, the squad he assembled was brilliant considering our wage budget. Pearce lots of potential and god knows how we got chappell