Newport v Torquay United. 28/09/2013

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

it's very interesting that Hector ( & others, obviously) think that our finances are so wonderful that not only must we be acquiring much better players than we already have,but also that we can afford to be paying off two managers.......
As for the game: would have preferred Hawley or Benyon to start in place of Ball.Also probably felt that the subs were sent on too late, &, amongst several others, thought that taking Chappell off was a poor decision. However, I'm not the manager, & AK presumably had his reasons. Azeez looks very promising.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

at the time yes it was wrong taxi, but azeez did a lot more promising things than chappell did second half
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

gullintwoplaces wrote:
What a load of old cr*p. Hector makes a virtue out of talking from his rear end. He didn't even go to today's game. I prefer to read comments from folk who actually went to the game.

I despair at the comments from so-called "fans", some of whom I suspect are trying, for whatever reason (Grecians?), to spread doom and gloom. Just shut the f**k up will you, your pessimism is both stupid and embarrassing. I look forward to rubbing your noses in your daft comments, as I will repeatedly, when we end up in a decent position at the end of the season.
Just look at the league table. That is all. Then spread your light and optimistic nonsense based exactly on what?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh good, someone else whose football knowledge extends as far as 'team A scored more than team B so team B must be shit'.

**** sake you lot, if you weren't there, give it a test because you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

For those that care, Nick is right, we could quite happily have won that today. Their three shots in an hour and a half were the two goals and a late 1 on 1 which Ricey dealt with easily. Aside from that it was all Torquay. They had an awful lot of help from the referee including the nailed on penalty which he dealt with by awarding Bodin a booking for diving. He'd beaten the defender with a flick and was clear on goal, why would he dive?
Newport were alright in possession, but pretty bad without it. They have a couple of guys (number 14 particularly) who are very, very quick and that is their main threat. Tongue did get done for their second, but it's no shame on the boy, his man would have sprinted past any defender in our division. I was too far away to get a good look at the first, but a far post header is exactly the sort of thing Downer would have cleared away for a corner.
I joined in the booing of the Chappell substitution and, despite the result, I retain my sense of vindication in that decision. Chappell is so obviously our threat, you can see that (well, perhaps not the interminably stupid members of the Knill Out camp, but those of us who actually like football) teams are dedicating a portion of their preparation for the match to dealing with him. Today, Today Newport did that by giving the ref £500 in used notes before the match, then knocking him about all over the place. Just to top it off, they also fell over every time he went near one of them and the ref duly gave the free kick.
Sounds as though I'm blaming the ref for the result today. I'm not, but he sure didn't help.
Azziz (that's not right) looks good. He didn't have too many chances to show his supposed pace, but he looks a tasty prospect.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 28 Sep 2013, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I was let down sincerely by the person bringing the drum onto the coach forgetting the drum! I was absolutely gutted.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

So Hector and others - what's the solution. Sack Knill and then what? Sir Alex out of retirement? Perhaps we can persuade Mourinho to leave Chelsea? Who would you put in charge? What do you think a new manager can come in and do now? There are no managers out there that would come to Torquay who have unblemished records. Most were underwhelmed by Ling, many would have sacked him in October 2011, yet we ended up in the playoffs. Then the next season it didn't really work - personally I was disappointed he was sacked and I didn't think Knill was some sort of saviour. I do think he and Brass are a good management team - like all managers at this level he has failures - scrape a bit deeper into those failures and you see he joined clubs who were in a longer term down trend and who hadn't given previous manages long and didn't give subsequent managers long and weren't any better for it. In does however have a successful spell at a club very similar to ours - I.e. small but relatively stable - and given the time he put together a very food squad, played very entertaining football and got promotion. Maybe it was a fluke, but maybe given some patience and time he an repeat this - given that sacking him won't guarantee any solutions and will cost the club money it doesn't have and put us back to square one I would rather give him the time. Yes points wise it has been a poor start, but performance wise there have been some promising signs and if those levels can be reproduced more consistently we'll start to pick up more points.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

hector wrote: Just look at the league table. That is all. Then spread your light and optimistic nonsense based exactly on what?
Everything that the league table doesn't show. The table (for what it's worth after 9 games) doesn't even look that bad. We are 1 mark of goal difference away from where I think we ought to finish this season anyway, so right now, it's par for the course.
It shows that we have lost 4 games this season, but that doesn't say that we've lost to the teams currently 2nd, 4th, 5th and 8th. It doesn't show that only 2 of our next 10 games are against sides presently in the top 10. It doesn't show that of our 4 losses, we've only been properly beaten once, by Fleetwood. We were good value for a point at Rochdale and Oxford scored with every shot they had in the match.
Knill seems to be getting the best out of Bodin (long way to go, but he was good again today). He has instilled fear back into the starting XI by baring his teeth at the fringe players (and first teamers) that he doesn't think are working well or hard enough. He's introduced new initiatives to the club which, according to people to whom I speak, are both popular and effective. He's recruiting players you can't even imagine (for us, that is).
We are playing some really nice, expansive football. We have a number of players who will surely, in time, earn us money in the transfer market and we are not looking anything like the side which so nearly snatched relegation from the jaws of safety last year.

But if you want to ignore that and instead focus on the fact we aren't top by 15 points on September 28th, don't let me stop you.

Matt.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

:goodpost:

Sums up everything that the bruices and hectors of the world need to know.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

A weird game really, hard to know quite what to make of it all. A lot of our build up play is very good, we get ourselves into dangerous situations time and again and its the final ball, or a bit of misfortune that goes against us. A bit perplexed by the role that Callum Ball was meant to be playing, however it did seem to allow Bodin and Chapell a lot more freedom and space and they were our two best players by a distance.

Newport were an average team and were there to be exploited, especially with their three man defence, but I don't think we pressed anywhere near as well as we needed to. Lathrope being booked so early negated his natural game (but still played well), was thinking he was clearly the half-time sacrificial lamb in order to get a second striker onto the pitch. Obviously this didn't happen and the manager withdrew Chapell instead, bit of a confusing decision in all honesty as Chapell was our main threat, Azeez looked bright when he came on and should compliment what we have nicely, I think with both him and Jordan on the pitch for the second half we could have got more than our labours ended up producing.

Although Azeez made an excellent impact and looks a good prospect, I do think AK's substitutions leave a little to be desired, i guess after a few years of a very cautious Martin Ling, fans want to see an attack attack attack mentality, throwing caution to the wind can leave you with an even bigger hiding but I am a firm believer in keeping your best players on the pitch for 90 minutes whenever possible. Chapell was not the one who should have been taken off.

We need to work on getting the ball forward quicker, on the floor, too many times we launch it down the flank and it comes straight back at us. In the last 10, Ricey was kicking it long and we just couldn't win anything sustainable in the air, whereas when on the floor and passing quickly in and around the box we looked decent and created some good opportunities.

The match was lost in a bizarre 10 minute spell in the first half where they capitalised on some lax defending on our part. Perhaps forgiveable on this one occasion due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding our back four, but we need a solution fast. Our performances are punctuated routinely by silly mistakes and we need to cut them out and stop giving ourselves mountains to climb. 2-0 down away from home is always going to be a tough ask to turn around.

Rodney Parade is a bit of a strange ground, not the worst but by no means the best either, perfectly fine for Newport County this season and its clear to see they are enjoying being back in the football league and all credit to them. Didn't run into any problems even though it had been heavily suggested elsewhere that we might well do, and they created excellent noise when they had their tails in front. Not a team to fear/ hate/ mock so I wish them well for the season.

Nice to travel to an away game and be home by 7.30 pm, a rare treat, and we took the scenic route out of town and managed to see the transporter bridge, marvellous!

For us, Knill needs to work out his best 11, best formation, play it consistently. A clearly winnable home match against York should tell us how good (or how bad depending whether your glass is half full or empty) we are.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

York 4 Portsmouth 2.......Oh shit
Lucy
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

The team appeared somewhat nervous today, frightened to make decisions and playing far too safe at times

I just wonder if Knill is being too dictatorial with how the team play?

There were some moments in the game where we should a complete lack of discipline....Mansell for example in the second half was beaten for both speed and agility by a Newport forward leaving a one on one with Rice , that thankfully he saved. What did Mansell do, we'll he stopped, threw his hands up in the air and claimed offside, which it was not.

In the first half two incidences of a complete lack of concentration by Tongue, one which led to a goal, should never happen to a professional footballer....again he looked around for someone else or the ref to blame

When two of the most experienced players at the club show such a lack of professionalism I do despair

On the plus side, I thought cruise did amazingly well out of position, pearce step up to lead the centre of defence and Nicholson looked better than he has this season and our new boy looked a different class in terms of ideas and inspiration.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote: Everything that the league table doesn't show. The table (for what it's worth after 9 games) doesn't even look that bad. We are 1 mark of goal difference away from where I think we ought to finish this season anyway, so right now, it's par for the course.
It shows that we have lost 4 games this season, but that doesn't say that we've lost to the teams currently 2nd, 4th, 5th and 8th. It doesn't show that only 2 of our next 10 games are against sides presently in the top 10. It doesn't show that of our 4 losses, we've only been properly beaten once, by Fleetwood. We were good value for a point at Rochdale and Oxford scored with every shot they had in the match.
Knill seems to be getting the best out of Bodin (long way to go, but he was good again today). He has instilled fear back into the starting XI by baring his teeth at the fringe players (and first teamers) that he doesn't think are working well or hard enough. He's introduced new initiatives to the club which, according to people to whom I speak, are both popular and effective. He's recruiting players you can't even imagine (for us, that is).
We are playing some really nice, expansive football. We have a number of players who will surely, in time, earn us money in the transfer market and we are not looking anything like the side which so nearly snatched relegation from the jaws of safety last year.

But if you want to ignore that and instead focus on the fact we aren't top by 15 points on September 28th, don't let me stop you.

Matt.
:goodpost: :scarf: We will be fine, this season was always going to be transition ffs. If in doubt support Barcelona
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Mid, you're right, the Manse thing late on was embarrassing. However, Manse isn't a right back and the bloke who ran past would not look out of place in the Jamaican 4 x 100m team (except he's white.*)
The appeal was stupid, the situation which lead to the appeal wasn't.

Matt.

* you know, maybe there's a difference between the black guys and the white fellows in terms of speed?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Listened to the second half commentary which was appalling. Steve Breed isn't a commentator. We did appear to be absolutely all over Newport so really galling to have lost again.
Chapple was subbed due to a foot injury (according to Knill).
When asked about Downes injury Knill stated that he was having an Mri scan on Monday "but it doesn't look good".
From that I fear thats the last we will see of him this season.
Knill also told the reporter that we were excellent - a shame then that we actually got no fecking points again.
Newport had several injuries today. I did say that we would need to score two goals to get something out of the game but Knill clearly didn't trust Cruise at centre half, thats why he played Lathrope - that didn't work either as we were out of the game by half time.
I basically don't understand where Knill is coming from at all. Despite having no money we sign wingers and forwards like they are going out of fashion. Thompson is equally as good if not better than Cameron but never gets a look in. He has been shipped out on loan, scored on his debut and is now cup tied. The Worcester fans were raving about him.
Our squad is top heavy with forwards but we have no cover at left back and criminally no decent centre half cover.
Our best chance of a regular goalscorer (Benyon) never gets in the team. It also seems that the manager has saved some of the budget for Mozika who deosn't look like he will be fit to play this side of Christmas.
Its just all completely ramshackle and there doesn't look like there is any plan whatsoever.
Lets face it the only manager worth his salt in Devon is Tisdale. He went to Fleetwood today with half his team injured and couldn't even fill the subs bench yet came up with a gameplan to win the game.
We have "sub the wingers" Knill and Plymouth seem to be even worse off as Sheridan sounds like a complete moron on the radio.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote: Everything that the league table doesn't show. The table (for what it's worth after 9 games) doesn't even look that bad. We are 1 mark of goal difference away from where I think we ought to finish this season anyway, so right now, it's par for the course.

Matt.
We've only been properly beaten once?

What planet are you on?

A defeat is a defeat is a defeat, whether it is a hammering or whether it was one of these all too familiar apologists for failure type, we didn't deserve to lose. What utter nonsense you spout.