Niall Thompson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think everyone regardless of whether they are in the public eye or not has the right and should have a twitter/facebook account, however, some really need to learn to stop and think what they put on there, christ even the company I work for monitor these things and have sacked people for things said on the there.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I don't think he has said too much wrong. He seems a decent guy and has a lot of talent. I wish him a successful loan and hope he comes back a better player for it and pushes hard for a starting position and a contract extension.

Pace and strength is everything in modern day football and he has both. In my eyes all he needs to add is consistancy and experience and both come with time.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

forevertufc wrote:Think everyone regardless of whether they are in the public eye or not has the right and should have a twitter/facebook account, however, some really need to learn to stop and think what they put on there, christ even the company I work for monitor these things and have sacked people for things said on the there.
Same goes for message boards... ;-)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

I see Niall not only scored one but assisted 2 others on Saturday. Showed his usual great turn of speed and some good measured passing.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Rich, he hasn't said a lot wrong, however he does have the potential (key) to unlock a very privileged lifestyle, but he isn't as yet an established senior pro, what he did say was just a little daft.And for what it's worth I doubt he has deleted his twitter account becuase of anything said on here, wonder if he got a call from the club ??

:lol: Indeed Philgull, however we are just fans who aren't in the public eye.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I do not know that I have seen evidence of Thompson having an 'attitude'. And simply because he appeared to suggest that he had a quiet afternoon ahead of him, does not mean he is lazy. He is a teenager, using a modern day medium of communication probably tweeting the sort of things every other teenager does without it occurring to him that anal retentatives like Ferrarilover are stalking his every word.

Thompson is a raw talent and whether he is talented enough to make it, I am not yet convinced. I hope so though.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He hasn't deleted his account at all. Half the trouble with this place, you'll all believe without checking.

Perhaps I'm not being clear. Knill knows Tommo has talent. Knill has told Thompson, in words of one syllable, that he has a piss poor attitude and that he either improves it, or gets released.
Thompson, knowing this and knowing that Knill will be getting minute by minute reports of Thompson's activities, has chosen not to practice his free kicks or his dribbling and show a little work ethic and instead, he's buggered off home.

No, it's not crime of the century, he's not going to be sacked for it, but it represents rank stupidity to post it now. He has form for this (it's a funny story) and it seems he isn't learning. What's so bloody frustrating is that he has all this talent and he is going to piss it all away for the sake of a month of working his balls off. If nothing else, it'll cost the club a saleable asset.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Rivo_7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rivo_7 »

How sure are we that full time training facilities are available to him at Worcester? Do they train full time and have their own training ground. The tweet says he went for a run not training, which sounds like he could have had the whole day off. The lad had a free afternoon he hasnt killed anyone. For the most part our views on players personalities and attitudes are based on loose opinions without us really knowing a lot about them as people. Having spoken to Niall a few times out and about he seems like a genuine lad, not at all cocky or arrogant, who appreciates the position he is in and wants to prove himself and earn the respect of the fans. He needs to be cut some serious slack and allowed to develop his game playing week in week out now he is out on loan :)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think part of the reason for that is that there are about 105 professional clubs in this country, meaning roughly 2000 professionals, a large percentage of which are imported as adults and didn't play U9 football in this country. For any more than 1 in 100 to make it, you would need far more clubs and no foreign players.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

EddUK12 wrote:Matt is correct being a footballer espcially a young one is about your attitude.

Graham Tayloar (crap spelling i know, the gormer england manager) has often said when he walked his dog on a sunday morning in brum he would stop and watch a few mins here and there and would see players that could play professional in terms of skill but with in two minutes could see their attitudes where wrong and would carry on walking his dog.

Its the same reason that only one in 100(or how many) under 9s will make it as a pro.
Apparently, Graham Taylor said something similar about Mark Loram. Well according to David Thomas, anyway. Cannot remember who Torquay were playing but Taylor was there to scout a player. Thomas asked him if it was Loram, and Taylor apparently replied something like 'Now, you are talking...but sadly, no.'

I later spoke to Dave Smith, a few years later, and he raved about Loram.

To think that this area has produced Loram and Bastow who perhaps should have gone further, in terms of talent, than the likes of Gosling, Monk and Williamson, all from this area who have played in the Premiership.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Thompson looked good in that clip of the game. Some good touches and a nice finish too. I hope he has a good month and comes back a more confident player up for fighting for his place.

These loans are about game time playing competitive football at the end of the day and you just don't get that playing for the reserves.

We know it seems that Yeoman appears to have been sidelined, but we'll see. I don't think the door is closed on any of them. Do you think Labadie last season was thinking the loan to a lower league club was essentially him being shown the door?
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Calling Thompson a **** moron just because he has tweeted that he is going for a run and then is doing nothing for four hours is ridiculous. He is a young bloke for goodness sake - he has probably got the same mentality as alot of people his age.
Whats he supposed to do? - as I said before he was the best player on the pitch in the friendly at Tiverton, made the equaliser against Wimbledon and hasn't had a look in since.
I could understand it if the team was winning every week but nothing changes week in week out - same players and we win about one game in six. Its a joke.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Funnily enough you seem to have gone a bit quiet on the Nathan Craig front. No doubt he is a **** moron as well. It seems that everytime he plays in a reserve game he does precisely bugger all to persuade the manager to play him.
If he is so good why do we get hammered right left and centre by every team we play?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh Terrence, you do impress me with your ability to pretend to be so stupid when you clearly understand full well what I'm talking about. You funny old sausage.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Thompson looked good in that clip of the game. Some good touches and a nice finish too. I hope he has a good month and comes back a more confident player up for fighting for his place.

These loans are about game time playing competitive football at the end of the day and you just don't get that playing for the reserves.

We know it seems that Yeoman appears to have been sidelined, but we'll see. I don't think the door is closed on any of them. Do you think Labadie last season was thinking the loan to a lower league club was essentially him being shown the door?
If that were the only reason, or even the main reason, I wouldn't have bothered with this thread.

Matt.