Hall of Fame

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

a lot of hall of fames dont just induct people for longevity of service or for winning things, there are sometimes one off moments, achievements, stats or games. this is my top ten first set of inductees into the hall of fame, based on who or what i have seen since supporting torquay united.

these players are not neccesarily the best or my top favourites (i do like them all though), but they have all done something or something happened for them to deserve their induction. i wont explain why i have chosen each of these it would be more fun for you to realise it or work it out.

1. GARETH HOWELLS.

2. JIM MCNICHOL.

3. RODNEY JACK.

4. DAVID GRAHAM.

5. DEAN EDWARDS.

6. KEVIN HILL.

7. PAUL DOBSON.

8. DEREK DAWKINS.

9. LEE SHARPE.

10. TIM SILLS.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Here's my effort :-
1. Penalty v Blackpool - Wembley
2. Dog bite Crewe '87
3. Scarborough play-off
4. Third goal at Barnet
5. Bolton 0 TUFC 1 - Wembley
6. Record caps and cheeky goal out of 'keepers hands
7. Goal v Crewe '87
8. Spurs goal
9. Ooh. Man U
10. Zorro's Play off goal
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Rjc70 wrote:Here's my effort :-
1. Penalty v Blackpool - Wembley
2. Dog bite Crewe '87
3. Scarborough play-off
4. Third goal at Barnet
5. Bolton 0 TUFC 1 - Wembley
6. Record caps and cheeky goal out of 'keepers hands
7. Goal v Crewe '87
8. Spurs goal
9. Ooh. Man U
10. Zorro's Play off goal

1. goalkeeper in the 91 promotion year, scored the winning penalty at wembley in the play off final.

2. indeed, the dog bite which triggered injury time which then brought the equalising goal v crewe. a story in united folklore.

3. one of the most exciting players i have seen, but mainly, our club record transfer sale.

4. scored a lot of goals in his time here. in my time watching torquay only bedeau and loram have scored more, but both over a period of a lot more games. indeed scored at barnet (in that game), and a lot in promotion year (did he score at southend, i cant remember), earning himself a big money move.

5. our 1st ever goalscorer at wembley (v bolton), but also has scored vs blackpool, so scored on 2 different occasions at wembley.

6. yes, record appearances, mr 100% and yes, cheeky goal.

7. indeed, the injury time goal vs crewe, also scored quite a lot that season in a relegation threatened team. scored a load of goals the following year which almost took us to promotion. im sure he scored more in that season than anyone has in a season since.one of the best strikers i have seen for us.

8. indeed, winning goal vs spurs, the biggest giant killing i have seen us make in a cup game, although we lost the 2nd leg we still won a game against tottenham.

9. yep, our biggest transfer (not monetary), sold to man utd - he came from the youth system, also at 16 years old was our youngest ever player when he made his debut. had a lot of success at man utd, won trophies and played for england.
i would say definitely our biggest success from the youth system.

10. came at a time when we needed a reliable goalscoring hero. scored a truckload of goals over 2 seasons in our dark days of the bsp, helped put a big smile back on the face of the club, culminating in - yes, that wembley goal that sealed our return to the football league (the instant sense of relief and the tear that trickled down my cheek after that, blimey).
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Cheers, chunky. Had a little break at work tonight/this morning and enjoyed that.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

come on guys there has only been a few lists submitted for the hall of fame. :|

is that it, surely not, i thought this was a good thread and some of the ideas of what to do with the hall of fame were quite good. :)

come on, give us your hall of fame list, go on, you know you want to, pleeeeaaassse :~D

go on. yes you, go on. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ah - lots of good memories on this thread. I'd like to add a few who i don't think have been mentioned, in no particular order -
Brian McGlinchey - great left back
Reg Jenkins - striker and a great character
Brian Handley - striker, overshadowed by Robing Stubbs
Andy Gurney - the G force - atacking right back
Paul Gibbs - the other half of the G force - attacking left back
Reg Wyatt - no messing central defender
Peter Wakeham - goalkeeper - local lad made good (went to Sunderland)
Ken Brown - central defender from West Ham at same time as John Bond
John Turner - 'keeper - is/was the landlord of the Jolly Sailor, East Ogwell
Jim McNicol - apart from very carelessly getting himself bitten by a dog, he was a no nonsense right back
Griff Norman - centre half in Eric Webber's time
Dave Caldwell - popular striker who could put himself about a bit !

I'm sure I can think of some more ...... I'll sleep on it. Ah ..... has anyone mentioned Mark Loram or Mickey Cave? or John Dunn (goalkeeper)?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Reg Wyatt! Now you're talking!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Seeing as the word legend has been over-used a bit lately for a few players past and present I thought I would wake this thread up again as I dont feel it got the thought provoking response it deserved before.

As said before - a lot of hall of fames dont just induct people for longevity of service or for winning things, there are sometimes one off moments, achievements, stats or games etc.

These players do not neccesarily have to be the best or your top favourites, but they have all done something or something happened for them to deserve their induction.

e.g Pat Kruse - Torquay centre half scored the fastest own goal in history.

Not a good claim to have but historical and record breaking - deserves a place in the hall of fame.

If you had already nominated a group of inductees before thats okay as its another year now, you can induct your next group.

If there are any nominations it would be interesting to know why or what for.

:)