redundancies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Come on Super, you're miles better than that. You know the first game of the season always gets a big crowd.

Matt.

Should also be noted that the club had no option but to remove Dinger. They also had no option but to sack him and pay him off. It's a necessary quirk of the law which prevents your boss from sacking you on a whim every time you get a cold.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I wish to offer my sympathies to those who have been made reduntant. I wondered who they were. Never mind. I am sure they will be missed.
It does show we should be worried if the club is short of cash. It will impact on every aspect of the club.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

tomogull wrote: Fair post Alpine Joe but it cannot be denied that Knill and Brass guided us to league safety. Without their arrival I think we would be playing the likes of Braintree and Hyde now. However, I have a query. I understood both Ling and Shaun Taylor were on 'rolling' season by season contracts. So if their contracts came to an end last season and were not renewed, why are they entitled to pay-offs? Sorry for staff being made redundant - never a good time to lose your job, but couldn't be any worse than at present.
I've explained this lots of times but people didn't believe that it was true, Martin and Sean negotiated a contract that was a year rolling contract, this means that whenever the board wished to terminate martins services he always had a year left on his contract so instead of signing a 2 or 3 year contract he just signed a rolling one that he knew he would always get a years salary. The club agreed to this maybe thinking that if he was to sign a 2 or 3 year contract and they did want to terminate it after say a year the club would be no worse off.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It's sick that on the field issues effect the staff behind the scenes.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

supergulls wrote: I've explained this lots of times but people didn't believe that it was true, Martin and Sean negotiated a contract that was a year rolling contract, this means that whenever the board wished to terminate martins services he always had a year left on his contract so instead of signing a 2 or 3 year contract he just signed a rolling one that he knew he would always get a years salary. The club agreed to this maybe thinking that if he was to sign a 2 or 3 year contract and they did want to terminate it after say a year the club would be no worse off.
Ah - so that's how it works. It sort of makes sense. Thanks for that - sorry I missed (or forgot-more likely !) previous explanations. :-D
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

[quote="ferrarilover"]Come on Super, you're miles better than that. You know the first game of the season always gets a big crowd.

Matt I believe honestly that it's a mixture of both the football on offer and an apathetic Torbay public.
The gate against Oxford for the 2nd home game was decent to I think around the 3200 mark but after that heavy defeat it was downhill from there.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

arcadia wrote:It's sick that on the field issues effect the staff behind the scenes.
It always will at a professional football club.
TUST number 080
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

tomogull wrote: Ah - so that's how it works. It sort of makes sense. Thanks for that - sorry I missed (or forgot-more likely !) previous explanations. :-D
To be fair to the board this is pretty common around the League. It works the other way too, should another club want to take the manager they will always need to compensate as if he has 12 months to run on his signature. And every board will hope/wish that their new manager will be the best thing since sliced bread and will get poached by a bigger team.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

ferrarilover wrote: Do you remember the good old days too, when, under Ling, we made the Playoffs? Christ, getting 10,000 people a week through the gates was amazing.

It's got bollocks all to do with the football on offer and everything to do with an apathetic Torbay public.

Matt.
Yes! the local public are apathetic this is why the standard of entertainment & results that the manager & team provide are paramount! In other words as far as the non fanatical supporter is concerned,they may not want to waste their money supporting the current shit#y team, if excitement & entertainment were on offer the gates would be better as these apathetic, casual supporters would be more inclined to attend. In November & December people may well decide to spend their "football money" on Xmas. January & Feb. they may decide to use this money to pay off their Xmas credit card bills, if the football on offer is still cr~p, & the manager has not sorted it out.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Again, I refer you back to the days under Ling when we were in the autos and we got 10, 000/week through the gates.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

ferrarilover wrote:Again, I refer you back to the days under Ling when we were in the autos and we got 10, 000/week through the gates.

Matt.
Don't be daft Matt! try to get back to reality!

Were were never talking thousands, but hundreds. Another 400 to 500 on each gate makes a difference to a club like ours!I would guess that playing good football, & winning games would certainly attract around this number of casual supporters.
Last edited by wodger of awabia on 10 Oct 2013, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

but we werent playing attractive football, it was scrappy 1-0 wins a lot of the time, the football quality wise wasnt great
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:but we werent playing attractive football, it was scrappy 1-0 wins a lot of the time, the football quality wise wasnt great
Which makes Ferrarilover's point semi-redundant.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
darryl71
Trialist
Trialist

Post by darryl71 »

forevertufc wrote: I know where your coming from Jerry and agree ( having been made rudundant in the past myself and know what it feels like), however I very much doubt they only found out today.
For what it is worth the one member of staff who was made redundant was the club secretary Kerry Haggan and she was given the news yesterday afternoon. I believe two other members of staff have so far been given notice but that was before yesterday.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote: Do you remember the good old days too, when, under Ling, we made the Playoffs? Christ, getting 10,000 people a week through the gates was amazing.

It's got bollocks all to do with the football on offer and everything to do with an apathetic Torbay public.

Matt.
Utter crap. Our attendances are on a par with other poorly performing clubs of our size. It is easy to say it is all the fault of fans who do not turn up or potential ones that are not interested.

And if the public of Torbay are apathetic towards TUFC, as is often claimed, has anyone ever sought to seek clarification as to why that is? Could it be the product on offer?

There must be some reason why the public are apathetic, if they indeed are. It is more likely that demographic factors has a population of Torquay/Torbay, that on the whole isn't local and do not have ties with the club. What does the club actually do to reach out to these 'apathetic' locals just waiting to be seduced?

A few years Exeter Chiefs got crowds of around 1000 if they were lucky. Now they have had a bit of money chucked their way (but then you could say the same of TUFC with the Bristows) but what is noticeable about Chiefs over the last 6 years or so, is that they have steadily built up their brand and they make the match day an experience. And of course they have been successful. Plainmoor is just like a morgue. Just full of people there out of duty rather than looking for a good day out.

Crowds of 2500 are all you can expect for League 2 football when the team is losing, the football is dire and this follows a previous season of losing dire football, where there is no atmosphere in the ground, there is nothing in addition to tempt people to get their earlier or stay longer.

TUFC get precisely the attendances they deserve.